shape
carat
color
clarity

Not that excited by either sapphire- take a look

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
The Gemfix sapphires arrived today. I had to leave just as they arrived so only was able to take some bad pictures. I don't know- I just don't feel excited about it. The stones are very hard to photograph and it's a cloudy day here; I'd love to see them in sunshine. One, the less expensive one, is lighter than the other and is on the right in the pic of both stones. Lighter stone is also the middle picture.

_11571.jpg

_11572.jpg

_11574.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look nice and since I tend to like medium toned stones, I gravitate towards the lighter blue sapphire. Sapphires tend to look so-so under cloudy conditions and indoors. I'd say it is best to wait until the sun comes out. Don't forget to check them out under your home fluorescents, halogen, etc to see if you still like the colour. What is your concern with these two?

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I do notice that sometimes I have to go back and take a second look at a colored gemstone to truely formulate my opinion. There have been times where at first I was kind of *meh* but for some reason later, ended up loving the stone. I think it boiled down to what Chrono said...lighting. Funny enough, one of my favorite lighting sources to view the color of one of my blue sapphires is under the crappy flourescent lighting of my kitchen. Every other gemstone of mine looks horrible there, but I love the way my blue sapphire looks under that lighting! No matter what, you should only keep what you truely love, and if it's neither of these, throw them back and cast your fishing line back out!

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Your first handshot looks better to me.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I like the lighter one too, but I might like the one Quest had best!

Some more shots of the lighter one. These capture the color I'm after. I guess I was a bit disappointed they don't look like this all the time, but I should've realized the diamonds don't always look hot either.

_11578.jpg

_11579.jpg

_11580.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So how about the Quest stone? :naughty: Side by side pictures please. :devil:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like them both, however, if I have to choose just one, then it will be the lighter of the two.

DK :))

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
BLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As you can tell, I'm no help.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I love the lighter one! I understand what you mean though - sapphires of this color may not be completely beautiful in all lighting conditions. They're just too dark for that to really be possible (at least in my experience with sapphires; the ones I've owned that are closer to this color tend to look a bit darker than I prefer at least some of the time).

Do you think you just might prefer a lighter blue sapphire? I was kind of surprised that you weren't that happy with these gems as I personally think they're beautiful (especially the slightly lighter one). So that made me wonder if maybe you might just prefer a lighter color in general.

I own one noticeably lighter colored blue sapphire - it holds its color in basically all lighting and could've even been bezeled and still always would've looked nice. But it doesn't have the richer blue color. For me it was really a trade off; I wanted great light return and sparkle and wanted it to hold its color in any lighting. So I got those things, but the trade off was not getting my ideal color. (I have a thread up right now on the first page of CS with pics of the sapphire I'm talking about if you want to look).

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I love the lighter one!!!! Rich blue, good saturation, it picks up light very well, looks like a very nice cut -- and it sparks up your ring amazingly, which the dark one does not do for me. I'd buy that in a NY minute, but maybe it just isn't speaking your language? A sapphire search can be a long process, but people do find The One eventually. If this isn't it, another will have your name on it. After a couple of days of getting acquainted with it, you may fall in love -- or decide to send it back; either way, it has to thrill you.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
I think the lighter one is QUITE pretty and looks great in the setting :)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the lighter one. That's pretty amazing, since as a group we rarely agree!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the lighter of the two, too, but if you're not excited by either, and you're not on a timeline, perhaps you keep looking? How are you feeling about them after a bit of time?

As a side note, and I might be paranoid, but you might want to be careful placing stones you might not keep where they're touching diamonds, just in case they get scratched or marked in any way.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I agree that not even diamonds look hot under all lighting. How does it look where you'll spend the majority of your time? If you want to pass the work day more quickly by gazing at it, will it look great in those lights? That's the first thing I usually ask myself. :lol:

Also, add me to the list of folks who like the lighter one.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The lighter one is a fabulous colour for the price to be fair. In actual fact it's the colour that people tend to pay much more for! If it looks this good in poor lighting then it'll be very beautiful in sunlight BUT unless you live somewhere where it's sunny all year round, you don't want to buy it and then have to move house!

You've found out what we unfortunately have to tell people and that's that most coloured gemstones have different personalities in different lighting conditions - much much much more so than diamonds. Soooooooooo, I wonder if a coloured stone is right for you?

Put the sapphire away for a day or two and then get it out again. Unless you love it, send it back. Don't waste your money on something that doesn't make you smile. There's always something else out there for you. If you buy a stone you're unsure about you'll either grow to love it and wonder why you ever hesitated OR you won't wear the ring at all.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
LD, I too wonder if a colored stone is right for me. I guess I naively had no idea they could look so drastically different in different lihting situations, though rationally I know it makes sense.

Took a couple more of the light one. I love love love the color in 3 of the pictures (facing south) and when I turned to face north, the stone looked completely different to me. Not that it's unattractive but just not the color love.

I'm glad to hear it's a fair price though.

_11627.jpg

_11628.jpg

_11629.jpg

_11630.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoganSapphire,
What you are seeing is normal and to be expected in almost all coloured stones.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a lovely color too!
In the new photos it seems perhaps your head and/or the camera are blocking the light when you turn north. Compare the diamonds performance in the first pic and the fourth.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
LD|1383667537|3550846 said:
The lighter one is a fabulous colour for the price to be fair. In actual fact it's the colour that people tend to pay much more for! If it looks this good in poor lighting then it'll be very beautiful in sunlight BUT unless you live somewhere where it's sunny all year round, you don't want to buy it and then have to move house!.........

qft.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1383670335|3550895 said:
I think it is a lovely color too!
In the new photos it seems perhaps your head and/or the camera are blocking the light when you turn north. Compare the diamonds performance in the first pic and the fourth.

You're right! What little sun we have is coming from the south. My big head got in the way when due north.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
LS, you've found a very nice sapphire for a good price. The more pictures you put up of it, the more I like it, in fact fall in love with it. I'm not gonna wear it, though. Try LD's suggestion -- put it away for a day or 2, don't look at it. Then get it out -- if it doesn't make you gasp, then it's not for you. I think the fact that you're hesitating so much means it just isn't your cup of tea, much as you want to like it, but go away from it briefly to know for sure.

--- Laurie

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1383673263|3550930 said:
LS, you've found a very nice sapphire for a good price. The more pictures you put up of it, the more I like it, in fact fall in love with it. I'm not gonna wear it, though. Try LD's suggestion -- put it away for a day or 2, don't look at it. Then get it out -- if it doesn't make you gasp, then it's not for you. I think the fact that you're hesitating so much means it just isn't your cup of tea, much as you want to like it, but go away from it briefly to know for sure.

--- Laurie

I just wanted to say, before I forget, a big thanks to all in the CS forum who've helped me :appl: I know I'm a complete newbie and I really appreciate all the expert guidance. So, thank you!

I do like the stone; I think only-now-realized unrealistic expectations clouded my enthusiasm. A big part of my problem is that this sapphire isn't a standalone purchase. I need to decide what to do with my new 1.2ct diamond, which I had previously intended to put back into my three stone. If I keep this sapphire, I don't care for it in my diamond accent solitaire, which means I'd use the three stone for it, but then would have to set my diamond in a new setting (was hoping to not use the solitaire- would like something a little different). I'm considering a halo for the diamond, but of course, that means more money...a lot more than my husband and I had anticipated. I guess I was hoping to be blown off my chair by the sapphire, which meant the decision would've been so obvious, you know??

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
So you like it sometimes, but not all of the time? What would make you like it more?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
My favorite shot/color!

Another thought- what if I didn't set this in my three stone, and picked another setting? What kind of setting does this call for? halo?

_11640.jpg

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Logan Sapphire,
Maybe I missed this, but would you mind sharing the # of the sapphire as listed on the site? Just curious how the Gemfix pics compare to yours. And I agree with everyone else - I think it's lovely!!!

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
blingbunny10|1383680663|3551021 said:
Hi Logan Sapphire,
Maybe I missed this, but would you mind sharing the # of the sapphire as listed on the site? Just curious how the Gemfix pics compare to yours. And I agree with everyone else - I think it's lovely!!!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/suggestions-for-fairly-inexpensive-colored-stone-center.194825/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/suggestions-for-fairly-inexpensive-colored-stone-center.194825/[/URL] See partway down; it's the 2nd picture of the 3 that were posted. LD was able to make the pictures bigger than on the site itself. To me, the 3rd stone looks lighter, but in real life, is the darker of the 2 I ordered.

What do you think?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results