shape
carat
color
clarity

Not exactly a colored stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But it is quite yellow indeed. I bought a 99.9% gold (higher purity than 24k) ring and took some photos of it's bright and sunny disposition. Just thought I'd post it here since we often have discussions about what color metal looks like what
1.gif

Do you guys know if any of the PS vendors work in 24k or higher karat gold? I don't recall seeing it much around here, probably due to lack of popularity, but I was just curious. I think some stones would look amazing in rich, high karat yellow gold. Like say a nice ruby or red spinel.

Link

IMG6701.JPG

IMG6692.JPG

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it''s a beautiful ring. I love the richness of the gold!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG,
Isn't 24K equivalent to 100% pure gold? I have quite a few 24K gold rings and should take some pictures for you. My favourite piece is shaped like leaves. Yours is beautiful! I don't think our usual PS favourite vendors work in 24K with the exception of those from Thailand. I do have my one heirloom ring (22kt though) set with a red spinel. It's in the Coloured Stone gallery right now.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your red spinel ring is gorgeous!

I know that 24k is supposed to be 100%, but in China they have 99.9% as one category and 24k as a separate (cheaper) one right under it. So maybe it''s 99.5 and people just round up? I don''t really know.

My friend as a 24k ruby ring that I think is just stunning and always catches my eye when I see it.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I love everything (well, almost) in high karat gold and pretty much anything yellowish-orange or orangy-yellow (you''d never guess that by my avatar, right
3.gif
), so I love this ring too. I just have some instant emotional reaction to the color, can''t really explain.

P. S. I''m pretty sure that most of the world considers anything in the 99%+ region of gold purity to be 24k, since 965 (if I''m correct) is 23k. And I''m also pretty sure that there''s nothing above 24k (cause that would mean 25k
33.gif
), unless it''s a cultural thing in a specific geographical region.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful! growing up, I have always had 24k jewelry, I wished I would have kept them all now
15.gif
I have much more appreciation for high karat now that I''m older

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Since gold karats are defined as parts of gold per 24, it wouldn''t be possible to go over 24k. The tolerance for fine metals is 0.1%, so 24k would be 99.9% pure.

There is no inherent difficulty in working with 24k, other than getting the material. Any vendor who alloys their own metals should be able to work with 24k (although many wouldn''t recommend it for certain applications). Since 24k gold is uncommon in the US, it may be worthwhile to ask a vendor. Maybe they will be willing to do a custom piece.

Personally, I think 24k is good for bezeling softer stones, although many don''t agree (becaus eof durability issues).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MTG,
That's really interesting and the first I've heard of this because the gold calculation is parts per 24, so 99.9% is 24K which is pure gold. Where I'm from, 99.9% is pure gold (24K), although 96.9% (22KT / 23KT) tends to be used more for bracelets and rings because they hold up better. It could be that the Chinese 24K is akin to the slightly lower 99.5% or something similar although I've not heard of this. Hubby complains that I buy out the entire store when I go to his hometown because that's the only place I can get 99.9% gold in a huge variety of sizes and styles.
9.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might just be a Chinese thing, but they definitely had a case for the 99.9% gold, and a separate one for the 24k. The price difference per gram was very small (like 5 dollars maybe), but still there. The 99.9% case was also infinitely more crowded, lol.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
3.gif
Lovely
30.gif
. I have some pearl earrings set with 22K and have to say I love the richness of it. They unfortunately don''t get worn that often though as I''m scared to death of losing one.

I always thought that 24K was as high as you could get as well.

-A

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Yum... I am always so drawn to high kt gold (in photos, at least.) Pretty ring, MTG.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results