shape
carat
color
clarity

'no heat' goes mainstream in advertising

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
This is from today's "International New York Times".

It is the first ad I have seen in mainstream media that sells the non-treatment of a ruby.

So far, the other 1000-pounders in this high-end corner never mention treatment in ruby (or elsewhere).

moussaieff-ruby1400.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No heat can still mean oiled or some other impregnation of resin, similar to what emeralds undergo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are the chances it even comes with a lab report? But yes, I agree, this baby step is the first step in the correct direction and disclosure has to start from somewhere sometime.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me it's just another ploy to get more customers. Back it up with highly reputable and full disclosure reports.

Education is key!

Honestly, I wish vendors would disclose all treatment or possible treatment instead, as Macys does here. It's very easy to say something is unheated/untreated, and the consumer will believe it without proper documentation, but it's a different story to be fully honest when it comes to treatment, or educating on potential treatments (some of which are not detectable, or easily detectable).

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/velvet-bleu-by-effy-manufactured-diffused-sapphire-2-1-2-ct-tw-and-diamond-1-3-ct-tw-ring-in-14k-white-gold?ID=906285

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think awareness helps too. Even though Tiffany states treatment on their website, I don't think anyone is aware of it nor reads it.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1414419186|3773302 said:
I think awareness helps too. Even though Tiffany states treatment on their website, I don't think anyone is aware of it nor reads it.

They make it difficult to find as well, and because of their brand name, people automatically assume all their gems are of the highest quality, untreated, etc. . . :nono:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1414419186|3773302 said:
Yeah....there is a thread in Pre-Loved about a Tiffany sapphire ring that is a good example of this and of TL's post....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edward Bristol|1414432844|3773416 said:
I felt sure these have full reports to back it up.

I don't think such a company would splash 'no-heat pigeon blood' in a 20k add worldwide and not have a report behind it.

"Trust but verify" is an important motto here.

I'm somewhat unfamiliar with that company. The name vaguely comes to mind, but there are companies held in high esteem, and with excellent reputations, but they don't disclose treatment properly, or fairly (ie Tiffany & Co). The consumer must always be their own best advocate, and educated as well, when it comes to colored gems, especially expensive rubies and sapphires. I wouldn't assume anything, and if they have fully and highly credible reports to back up their claims, then kudos to them.

Therefore, while a company might sell gemstones based on the fact they're untreated, I wouldn't use that as the only reason I would shop there. Verification is highly important. A false sense of security is not helpful either.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
TL|1414436281|3773443 said:
Edward Bristol|1414432844|3773416 said:
I felt sure these have full reports to back it up.

I don't think such a company would splash 'no-heat pigeon blood' in a 20k add worldwide and not have a report behind it.

"Trust but verify" is an important motto here.

Sure, I could not agree more.

I can't ask as a trade member but I imagine this set goes for over a million $ in retail, so I think they have all reports for a few thousand ready made.

It was just the first time somebody came out in the open like that. Last week Cartier or one of those, offered a 20 carat ruby without even mentioning any treatment (aside the photoshopped mega window). There I smell fraud and deceit.

But the way they present it is so much GRS-linguae.

Perhaps somebody of our non-trade members can call and ask?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edward Bristol|1414493916|3773755 said:

Agreed; the way it is advertised sounds like another excuse to raise prices on top of their already high prices.

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1414496209|3773759 said:
Edward Bristol|1414493916|3773755 said:

Agreed; the way it is advertised sounds like another excuse to raise prices on top of their already high prices.

Somebody gotta pay for the world-wide colour ads. Those don't come cheap.

But al least here you get something that has real long-term value. Unlike those hyper $$$$ watches that don't even have a 2 years guarantee.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Edward Bristol|1414579495|3774325 said:
But al least here you get something that has real long-term value. Unlike those hyper $$$$ watches that don't even have a 2 years guarantee.

Don't let Dancing Fire read this. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results