shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Spinel interest- red with diamond halo ring

BlingADing

Shiny_Rock
Hi friends-
This is my first post in Colored Stones and I'm hoping to gather your valuable opinions. I'm not familiar with Spinels and after some research, I understand they cost considerably less than their sapphire/ruby counterparts. Before I pull the trigger, what are your thoughts on this piece? Is it worth paying $900?

http://www.malleries.com/18k-white-...diamonds-ring-–-size-525-i-59680-s-2662.html

18K White Gold Red Spinel Ring with Diamonds Ring – Size 5.25

DESCRIPTION:

This elegant ladies 18K White Gold Red Spinel Ring with Diamonds is an 18 karat white gold ring with one 6.35 mm x 5.81 mm red spinel weighing approximately 1 carat, accented by round brilliant cut pave-set diamonds weighing approximately .18 carats.

DETAILS:

Composition: White Gold
Metal Purity: 18 Karat
Primary Stone: Red Spinel
Shape/Cut: Oval Shape 6.35 mm x 5.81 mm
Accent Stone: Diamonds
Shape/Cut: Round Brilliant
Total Carat Weight: .18 Carats Approximately
Rise Above Finger: 6 mm
Band Width: 9.50 mm x 1.25 mm
Total Ring Weight: 2.50 mm
Ring Size: 5.25
Stamped: 18K
Condition: Good
Includes: N/A
59680-iID{1329610251}_0.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My gut reaction is that the spinel will look like an orangey brown garnet NOT a red spinel. Red spinels are very very very difficult to find and normally quite expensive.

If you're ok with an orangey brown gem then go for it. The setting is probably where you're paying the money for this - to be it into perspective you can probably get a similar setting (without the stone) for $500-600.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ditto, that stone is not going to look red.

Whilst true red spinels will be cheaper than an equivalent ruby, they still come with a serious price-tag and will take quite some finding. They are gorgeous though!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even before I opened your link, I had a feeling it would be what I call a "pyrope spinel." Most newbies go for the brownish red garnet looking spinels, and I'm so tired of vendors touting these as red. They're very brown and IMHO, pretty ugly. No way would I spend that kind of money on that spinel ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results