shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie Question about Certified Stones

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi, I'm a newbie...brand new here and I've been collecting CS's for about a year. I have what is proably a stupid question. If I buy a stone with a cert..does it lose any of its "value" once it is removed from the sealed cardboard packaging? I was considering buying a stone which was sealed in that cert package (cant remember the company or the stone specifically) and I thought to myself how I wasn't sure if I could take it out and put it in my usual gem jars which Allow me to observe the stone from all angles. I use those gemvue jars from JTV which I love...they have a clear gel-type of layering on the top and bottom of the gem so it lets light in from everywhere...very cool. So, if I go ahead and buy a stone in the cert, do I have to leave it in the package? I am keeping them for looking at/investing/possible re selling. Thanks!! Chris

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure what you're talking about, but the only things that I feel that give a gem value are lab "reports" (they don't "certify" anything, and only give opinions), from highly reputable labs like AGL, GIA, GRS, SSEF, Geublin, and the old AGTA lab (now closed). There are some smaller Asian labs that are reputable as well, but I like to use the major ones for corundum. Now if you bought a stone that has some "no name certificate" of some sort, it probably means very little to a gem collector, someone in the trade or an afficionado.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I believe this is the Thai lab that is being referrenced http://www.ghi.co.th/

Once you open up the cert there is an identifying number under a tab that you lift up. You can then go to the website to verify the stone identification against the cert. number.

I don't think it has anything to do with retaining value, but rather is somewhat of a guarantee that the report is actually for the stone that is sealed in the plastic part of the envelope like card.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results