shape
carat
color
clarity

New sapphire.. thoughts?

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Hey all. Latest purchase just arrived this morning. First thoughts upon opening package is that I like the colour, size etc.

I'm home and playing about in different lights with it, can't fully decide if it's a keeper and fancied your thoughts.

It's a 1.45ct unheated sapphire. To me I see a bluey - lavender colour. But I'm having a nightmare capturing the colour. I've noticed with all my gems that they all look dull in some lights and incredible in others. It makes it really hard to figure out what is worth setting etc! I'll attach what crappy photos I took, and a link to Jeffs video. Fwiw, I "only" paid £350 gbp for it.

20141213_100818.jpg

20141213_100833.jpg

20141213_101253.jpg

20141213_101334.jpg

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh I really like the colour! I'm not sure whether it's just me but the fb video link isn't working. Do you have the youtube link?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The vid link does not work for me either.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it, as I prefer lighter colour stones than darker ones.

Tried as hard as I could, however, I just cannot stay away from his eBay store! :bigsmile:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
dk168|1418470031|3800483 said:
I like it, as I prefer lighter colour stones than darker ones.

Tried as hard as I could, however, I just cannot stay away from his eBay store! :bigsmile:

Lol you and me both!

I love the colour I think it looks nicer in your photos compared to the video,much brighter!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful color! Definitely worth setting if you would ask me. :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you okay with the half/half extinction on the stone?

It's a medium light slightly greyish blue sapphire. If that's the tone and saturation you like, and the price is fair, then you should keep it. The only issue I have is the half/half extinction. It is also not precision cut as many of his stones are, so if you bought it based on that, it's really only a slight recut if anything.

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
I hasn't noticed the extinction TL. The grey is quite obvious. . I actually can't decide if the pictures are showing an extinction that's not really there or if it's just not very noticeable in hand. I just don't know anything about what constitutes a good cut to identify.

I'm heading home to ogle it all a bit more. . I fear I simply may never find my sapphire.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MrsCornishWed|1418481411|3800514 said:
I hasn't noticed the extinction TL. The grey is quite obvious. . I actually can't decide if the pictures are showing an extinction that's not really there or if it's just not very noticeable in hand. I just don't know anything about what constitutes a good cut to identify.

I'm heading home to ogle it all a bit more. . I fear I simply may never find my sapphire.

The extinction is more evident to me in the video you posted, but if you don't notice it IRL, and/or it doesn't bother you, then that's fine. You will find the right sapphire eventually. Colored stones is a lot about patience. The good thing is that you're not looking for a gem species that is very difficult to find (ie: high quality alexandrite or a fine padparadscha). There's lots of great examples out there, but if you love this stone, you should keep it. ;-)

MrsCornishWed

Shiny_Rock
Argh, TL. You got me with the love.

I don't love it like I should :'(

The color that shows up in the photos above is truly lovely but the stone itself doesn't show it often. The video is more true to life. Every now and then it shows a really lovely glowy blue that I love. . I prefer lighter tones too. But it's mostly more a grey blue and I'm not sure I love it enough to keep. Boo. Really gutted as I'd hoped to love it more! Bummer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results