shape
carat
color
clarity

new sapphire e-ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

velogrrrrl

Rough_Rock
hi everyone,

i have been lurking around here for awhile as my fiancee and i hunted for the perfect sapphire engagement ring. i found a lot of the threads really helpful and decided to post up and share what we selected.

we wanted a blue-green or green-blue round or cushion sapphire, set in a sleek, modern setting. the right stone was very hard to find and we looked at sooo many sapphires before we found the right one. luckily our jeweler (austin and warburton in ann arbor MI) hung in there and kept ordering stones for us to look at until we found the one.!

we chose a really sparkly, eye clean, 1.36 carat, 6.7mm, diamond-cut round, green-blue montana sapphire and i sooo love it! we approved a 1/2 bezel solitaire wax setting today... and should have the palladium version in about 10 days. i can''t wait to have it!!
30.gif
i will post up some pics once it arrives.

cheers,
-D

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
How very exciting for you! It sounds beautiful.

Do you have any pics just of the stone? (we have a hard time waiting for pics around here!)
9.gif

LS

velogrrrrl

Rough_Rock
no i don''t have any pics because the jeweler sourced the stone for us- so i never took it home to photograph it
8.gif
i will definitely post some up as soon as i am able to get it from the jeweler.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that stone sounds beautiful!!! The color sounds gorgeous and Montana sapphires are beautiful.

Please, don''t forget to post hand shots when your beautiful ring arrives. We will be waiting
36.gif

Linda

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Hi velo - I''m considering going through the same route you have, except I want to buy my stone from an online vendor, then most likely get it set at a local jeweler. Just out of curiousity, how long did it take you to decide on the design before the wax setting? And did they have to make the setting to fit the stone because of its unusual dimensions, or was it a stock setting? Just trying to get some ideas from people who have been through this. Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/23/2008 1:44:35 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
Hi velo - I''m considering going through the same route you have, except I want to buy my stone from an online vendor, then most likely get it set at a local jeweler. Just out of curiousity, how long did it take you to decide on the design before the wax setting? And did they have to make the setting to fit the stone because of its unusual dimensions, or was it a stock setting? Just trying to get some ideas from people who have been through this. Thanks!

I can answer...I have a beautiful Jeff White sapphire set into a stock setting that was for a diamond. It looks great, required a few mods, but otherwise worked. But you HAVE to have the stone first because it really depends on the individual stone. Some require custom settings but some will work beautifully with stock settings.

And deciding on the design is really up to you...it can take months or minutes!

velogrrrrl

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/23/2008 1:44:35 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries

the setting we chose was based on many pictures i had printed out plus a setting they had in stock. they made a drawing that was converted to a CAD wireframe file and that went to wax. we did 2 different wax settings before we approved it, so it was totally custom. it took about 10 days to get the wax cast in palladium and the stone set.

hope that helps!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
LOVE the color on that stone! Great setting too!
36.gif
Very, very cool. Congrats!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 10:23:25 PM
Author:velogrrrrl
hi everyone,

i have been lurking around here for awhile as my fiancee and i hunted for the perfect sapphire engagement ring. i found a lot of the threads really helpful and decided to post up and share what we selected.

we wanted a blue-green or green-blue round or cushion sapphire, set in a sleek, modern setting. the right stone was very hard to find and we looked at sooo many sapphires before we found the right one. luckily our jeweler (austin and warburton in ann arbor MI) hung in there and kept ordering stones for us to look at until we found the one.!

we chose a really sparkly, eye clean, 1.36 carat, 6.7mm, diamond-cut round, green-blue montana sapphire and i sooo love it! we approved a 1/2 bezel solitaire wax setting today... and should have the palladium version in about 10 days. i can''t wait to have it!!
30.gif
i will post up some pics once it arrives.

cheers,
-D
Hee hee - we''re neighbors. I''m up in Auburn Hills.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the color! Congratulations on your engagement!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, beautiful ring. Gotta say, I love your setting!
3.gif
Something I would pick myself.

Congratulations on your engagement!
36.gif

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the setting you picked for that gorgeous sapphire! Congratulations!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your engagement ring is gorgeous. I love the color of that Montana sapphire!!!
30.gif
It looks lovely on your hand too. Congratulations!!!

Linda

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Love the ring...the color is great...love the half bezel setting

(am in MI too...though not that close to Ann Arbor)

pjean

Brilliant_Rock
I love that ring! I may be slightly biased, since it''s a lot like my own in some ways. Beautiful and practical.
21.gif

Congratulations on your engagement.

luvthemstrawberries, we bought my sapphire online and took it to a local jeweler. We went directly from some rough sketches to a wax, but then it took a really long time to get the casting done. We wanted some changes to the wax, but I think mostly the jeweler was just slow.
20.gif
We didn''t even ask about a stock setting, but I suspect that my stone is too weird to fit a standard size.

aggal06

Shiny_Rock
The setting that you put the stone in looks awesome with it! I also LOVE that sapphire color, it''s gorgeous and so unique. Congratulations on the engagement!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! Love that deep ocean blue color, and the setting is perfect for it.

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
your ring is beautiful! the color of the stone is gorgeous, almost like the color of blue diamond! congratulations on your engagement!

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Verrrrrry pretty! Congratulations!

velogrrrrl

Rough_Rock
thanks everyone for the feedback and well wishes!! i totally adore the ring as well, but that is to be expected since i selected the stone and designed the setting. it is nice to hear that others can appreciate it as well. i showed it to my parents and some friends at school and it inspired lots of oooohs and aaahhhs.

it really is prettier in person than i could capture in the photos, also it was late and i was tired and forgot to dust off the table so that is distracting. all day today i was trying to figure out if i am supposed to take it off when i wash my hands. i thought it would keep it from getting gunked up with soap, but then was afraid one day i would leave it in a public restroom and lose it forever... so now i am washing hands with it on when away from home. what do you all do about this?

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous ring, congrats! The colour of the stone is amazing and the setting is very sleek and elegant. As for your question, I NEVER take my e-ring off my finger when I''m away from home. Better gunked up with soap than gone, right?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I put it in my mouth!
9.gif

Gorgeous stone and I love the setting. I know how hard it is to photograph gemstones so I can see that it must be AMAZING in real life.

Many congratulations - and isn''t it fun to design your own ring!

velogrrrrl

Rough_Rock
i just got some better photos of my ring from the jeweler so i figured i would share some new eyecandy with you all. the jeweler''s photos look so much better than the ones i took.

velogrrrrl

Rough_Rock
ok pricescopers. i am hoping that you can help me come up with some ideas for a wedding band to go with my engagement ring. i am having it custom made. any ideas of what would look good with it? i want something modern and i love the tiffany etoile band. i am open to a couple small diamonds, or maybe more sapphires in matching or contrasting colors.

you are all so creative and come up with such great pieces, i had to ask before i commit to anything else.

ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results