shape
carat
color
clarity

New Here

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Colored Stone-rs! I''ve been lurking here for about 9 months, made my first post today on a thread by another pscoper.

Thought I would say hello and tell you what I''m holding in terms of gemstones:

1. Lavendar spinel 8.43 mm from Gene/Precision.
My first gemstone purchase.

2. Pakistani peridot 10.5 mm portugese cut from Andrew/Gemfix.

3. Oregon sunstone, 4.5 carats, dark red with schiller, trilliant, bought from the mine owner in the parking lot.

4. 4 peaks amethyst 17 carats emerald from Jack/Colorado gem & minerals.

5. Malaya garnet from Gene/Precision.

I plan to have the lavendar spinel and malaya garnet set next month by Julia Kay Taylor thanks to the examples and experiences posted here for me to read and also by email from Julia herself. The malaya garnet is going to be set in a ring for my geologist husband.

I got into gemstone through my husband, who also took the GIA course and I ''did'' the materials when he finished them. We live in Arizona so we go to the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show each year, and last year was the first year I bought gems rather than helped him buy mineral specimens, fossils, or meteorites, LOL!!!! MINE WERE CHEAPER mostly than specimens and meterorite fragments.

When we got engaged, I had hopes of THE ROCK. I knew nothing other than diamonds and my birthstone, topaz. My beloved informed me that diamonds were ubiquitous and therefore rather boring to him and considering the ubiquity, completely overpriced. He advised me that I might want to get to know other stones, gem stones, which he would love to buy for me.

DONE! Now I''m a gem stone addict! We''ve been to several mines in California and bought stones there. I consider the best buying experience at a jeweler''s to be at The Collector, Fallbrook, CA, which most of you know is also Pala International. Bought a stunning rhodolite garnet ring there for my birthday last year. Treated like a queen while I was there, patient staff showed me EVERYTHING I wanted to see, and gave me a beautiful ring box and matching bag, giftwrapped, when I left.

A little different than getting your ring in a baggie and peanuts (Leon?)

Anyway, hello and I have enjoyed all of you for quite some time. Thank you for sharing your stones and experiences.
21.gif

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, no pictures?

You sound like you have some amazing lovelies! And your fiance sounds like a total sweetheart (and enabler, haha!)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!
35.gif

Thanks for sharing the details about your stones...do you have any photos?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! And definitely post some photos of your lovelies.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the welcome.

I will definitely post pics. I took several, now I need to find the past thread how to go about posting them.

StonieGrl

Brilliant_Rock
It is great to be so close to the Tucson show but let me tell you, you can go into gem/mineral overload after a certain amount of time, freaky I know. For the big show at the convention center, you had better make up your mind/make your purchase before exactly 1 million kids are let off the schoolbuses and into the show!!

2 years ago, one of the students made off with a gemstone and the police shut the whole place down while the search was launched.

I wish I could get into the wholesalers only shows just to avoid the lookie-loos and schoolkids.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
A very warm welcome to you Stonie.

Ladies (and Gents), I think we just made a new friend, Stonie sounds our kind of Gal!

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Welcome!!!! I can''t wait to see your collection! Especially the lavendar spinel! It is on my wishlist right now so I''m always curious when someone posts about one! I can''t wait to see pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results