shape
carat
color
clarity

New Drop from The Gem Trader

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
thanks HD,

none of those stones are speaking to me though.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Danke schoen!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got excited when I saw a cobalt spinel, but it''s not really a cobalt spinel.
8.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My heart sped up when I saw some really nice stones in his auction section until I realized they are only 0.1 ct thereabouts.
7.gif
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I went for the pair of yellow brown mali garnets. They look like they have a bit of yellow flash and will compliment the orange and yellow grossulars in my pendant from ACStones. I''m thinking of stud earrings, but I''ll decide for sure when they arrive. I don''t mind the brown in the stones, as I tend to wear this piece with my brown outfits.

feb10malipairwithpendant.JPG

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FlyGirl -- why aren''t you doing these Malis as earring charms? Anything to do with their cut or size?

I''m getting some Sapphires just a wee bit smaller than this and am trying to decide how to set them.

Thanks.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/26/2010 10:53:21 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
FlyGirl -- why aren't you doing these Malis as earring charms? Anything to do with their cut or size?

I'm getting some Sapphires just a wee bit smaller than this and am trying to decide how to set them.

Thanks.
SH-If I did them as charms, I'm thinking the round shape would probably look better on leverbacks than on hoops. Also, I just happen to like colored stone earring studs a lot. My favorite earring charm shapes are briolettes, drops, pears, ovals, emeralds, pretty much in that order. Something with a bit of length to them.

You need to think about the color of the stones, and how they will look against your hair versus against your skin. Will they need to be framed with a different color metal or with diamonds to make the stone pop? What size earrings do you like to wear? I have longer hair that I normally wear down, so small brown stones will get lost in there. Ditto just about any darker color. I'm thinking as studs these will look better on my ear lobe. But, I'll have to see them in person to be sure.

and, Thank you, sonoma.
1.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/26/2010 11:29:48 PM
Author: Fly Girl

FlyGirl -- why aren''t you doing these Malis as earring charms? Anything to do with their cut or size?

I''m getting some Sapphires just a wee bit smaller than this and am trying to decide how to set them.

Thanks.
SH-If I did them as charms, I''m thinking the round shape would probably look better on leverbacks than on hoops. Also, I just happen to like colored stone earring studs a lot. My favorite earring charm shapes are briolettes, drops, pears, ovals, emeralds, pretty much in that order. Something with a bit of length to them.

You need to think about the color of the stones, and how they will look against your hair versus against your skin. Will they need to be framed with a different color metal or with diamonds to make the stone pop? What size earrings do you like to wear? I have longer hair that I normally wear down, so small brown stones will get lost in there. Ditto just about any darker color. I''m thinking as studs these will look better on my ear lobe. But, I''ll have to see them in person to be sure.

and, Thank you, sonoma.
1.gif
THANKS. I could really use a class in jewelry design. I enjoy colored stones and buying colored stones but I really don''t have the imagination some PSers have when it comes to setting colored stones.

I initally was going to set my round stones as studs but began wondering if that was boring. I do love wearing diamond studs and leaving them in for a whole vacation. I think I could do the same with Sapphires.

Thanks for the detailed info. I think these stones will become studs and I''ll look for some with length to eventually become earring charms.
9.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/27/2010 2:11:27 PM

Date: 1/26/2010 11:29:48 PM
Author: Fly Girl

Thanks.
SH-If I did them as charms, I''m thinking the round shape would probably look better on leverbacks than on hoops. Also, I just happen to like colored stone earring studs a lot. My favorite earring charm shapes are briolettes, drops, pears, ovals, emeralds, pretty much in that order. Something with a bit of length to them.

You need to think about the color of the stones, and how they will look against your hair versus against your skin. Will they need to be framed with a different color metal or with diamonds to make the stone pop? What size earrings do you like to wear? I have longer hair that I normally wear down, so small brown stones will get lost in there. Ditto just about any darker color. I''m thinking as studs these will look better on my ear lobe. But, I''ll have to see them in person to be sure.

and, Thank you, sonoma.
1.gif
THANKS. I could really use a class in jewelry design. I enjoy colored stones and buying colored stones but I really don''t have the imagination some PSers have when it comes to setting colored stones.

I initally was going to set my round stones as studs but began wondering if that was boring. I do love wearing diamond studs and leaving them in for a whole vacation. I think I could do the same with Sapphires.

Thanks for the detailed info. I think these stones will become studs and I''ll look for some with length to eventually become earring charms.
9.gif
You are welcome. I could use a class in jewelry design as well. I have made plenty of mistakes along the way. I love rounds as studs, and round sapphires will work well for you. I hate ovals as studs. They always seem to end up sideways on my ear. I''m generally not all that picky, but I guess that is where I draw the line.
2.gif

Be sure to post pictures when you get your studs made.
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results