shape
carat
color
clarity

New and wanting advice on Aquamarines

smitten6

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I've been looking at buying an aquamarine and getting it set in a ring and would love any advice. One stone I'm looking at at the moment is VVS1 9.2 x 9.2 x 6 mm trillion cut with apparently no treatments. Picture attached. Does it seem too dark? Any opinions would be great! I've never looked into coloured stones before so I'm not too sure what I should be looking for. I'm definitely starting with a rather low budget though for this piece while I learn what to look for. Any help would be appreciated!

_7250.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I personally think this is a pretty aqua. If it is indeed unheated, that makes it even nicer - many aquas are heated to get a darker blue, you will often see that very pale aqua color and I don't personally like that. I don't think it's too dark, at least it isn't for my taste. I own a very similarly colored aqua and definitely don't think of it as too dark. This one also looks nicely cut, and is a good size.

I would wait for other opinions as this isn't one of the CS I am super knowledgable about; but I don't personally see anything to dislike based on this pic and the info you've given.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly don't know a lot about beryl either. But I would say that while that one looks nice enough, it is a greyish blue; while I don't think it will be too dark (although that's really impossible to say since there are no visual clues in the photo), I don't think its terribly saturated either (the majority aren't). If its not too expensive, it would be a good first stone for you, which you will likely outgrow as you become more knowledgeable about stones. And that last part is meant only in a good way, as almost everyone's taste in stones changes the more they collect.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it's not strongly saturated- I think it's kind of middle of the road for an aqua though. Have you checked out the aquas at gemfix? Nice range of different cuts, different colors and level of saturation, and affordable mixed with pricey. Worth checking out at least, if you haven't already.

http://www.gemfix.com/aquamarine.html

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I love aquamarines and that looks like a pretty stone. I don't think there is a "too dark" for aquamarines, most people are looking for saturation rather than the light, very pale ones (although I like those). The only thing I would say is that this photo seems overexposed or something. It's very bright and may not accurately give you the true tone of the stone. But I don't think it will turn out to be too light or too dark.

smitten6

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies! It was only $180 so I decided to get it. I think that seems quite cheap? I guess I'll see how it is in real life once it gets here in a few weeks!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I agree the photo looks overexposed & that it looks a little gray, but you won't know till you see it in hand. If it's doesn't just grab you, don't hesitate to send it back. Not worth spending any money for a stone you're not nuts about. Looking forward to your pics when it comes.

--- Laurie

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
peacechick|1371440861|3467171 said:
I love aquamarines and that looks like a pretty stone. I don't think there is a "too dark" for aquamarines, most people are looking for saturation rather than the light, very pale ones (although I like those). The only thing I would say is that this photo seems overexposed or something. It's very bright and may not accurately give you the true tone of the stone. But I don't think it will turn out to be too light or too dark.
Exactly what I was thinking.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not that I know all that much, but it's blue and I take a special interest in anything blue, but the most highly desired Aqua is Santa Maria, and it's about as saturated as Aqua gets. Personally, I prefer the unheated greenish-blue aqua to the heated blue, but I'm weird. Please post pics when you get it!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results