shape
carat
color
clarity

Never Say Never

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Is there a gemstone or jewelry design/type that you said you'd never own/wear?

1) I used to say that I'd never wear a ruby. I was a garnet girl. Garnets were one of my Mom's favorite gems, and she had many garnet pieces.

Then, one day, I read about rubies from Burma and how they glowed. Had to have one, and I did get one from gemfix. Now, I love rubies.

2) My birthstone is Topaz. Then one day out of the blue, they changed it to citrine. (What the heck?) I hate citrine. Why take a pretty amethyst and change the color to yellow? I said i would never own a citrine.

Then for my birthday last year, my husband bought me a gemstone earrings set with blue topaz, garnet, and citrine. There were a total of 5 pairs of earrings -- all with different gemstones set in sterling silver. I've worn every color except the citrine.

Then this week, I thought, "What the heck?" and put them on. Wore them for two days. Now, I sort of tolerate citrine.

Oh, I bought a ametrine awhile back. The colors are faint, but you can tell which side is which. I may have to set it in a pendant in sterling silver.

So, is there a gemstone or jewelry design/type that you said you'd never wear? I know some people don't like halos, and some don't like pears. I don't have any pear shaped rings, but I wouldn't turn down one if it was given to me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was a halo non-lover. I've owned two, Beverly K and Whiteflash, but sold them both. Turns out I needed to find the right halo. So now I just own one.

ETA: I also used to refuse diamond accents. Yeah. That didn't last.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
The only things I say I'll never own are things I'll never be able to afford.

fiona00004

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am with Freke. I always thought I hated halos...I always thought they were like terrible enhancements...but then I somehow came to the conclusion after setting my oval that it looked naked without a halo. Had a hard time convincing DH that my oval needed a halo when all along, I always told him that I hated them. My oval now looks well at home in a bezel halo!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I didn't say "never", but I didn't think I would need to do a second reset of my ering. I did, after the first reset got botched.

I also feel like my husband will never get a clue about what kind of jewelry I like. After 15 years, he is still trying to buy me yellow gold jewelry, even though he knows I favor white metal _very_ strongly. His response was, "it was on sale." How romantic. Ugh!! Why do I have to buy all my own jewelry?

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fi Z|1393559879|3624494 said:
I am with Freke. I always thought I hated halos...I always thought they were like terrible enhancements...but then I somehow came to the conclusion after setting my oval that it looked naked without a halo. Had a hard time convincing DH that my oval needed a halo when all along, I always told him that I hated them. My oval now looks well at home in a bezel halo!

Me too! I thought I was squarely in the non-halo camp, but I find that I'm likely them more and more with all of the beautiful examples I see on PS, particularly the cushiony-squarish ones. I don't own one, but my tastes have certainly changed.

I also never thought I would own or wear a sapphire, largely because I thought that all of them were dark, inky, blackish blue - so, glad I was wrong. Now, I own, wear, and love a yellow one and am on a quest to find my holy grail - a light violetish-blue square step cut sapphire :)

Lastly, I never thought I'd be obsessed with cut, but I've learned that I totally am (hence, re-cutting the yellow sapphire to keep its color), having learned the difference on PS. Pre-PS, I didn't even know what a well-cut stone looked liked, that a re-cut was possible, or that one could commission stones - again, so happy I was wrong!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Kelli|1393557332|3624469 said:
The only things I say I'll never own are things I'll never be able to afford.

I'll second the never only for things I can't afford.

Like I wouldn't kick a red diamond out of bed, but to spend hundreds of thousands on a two mm speck - that's not really for me.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Diamonds, diamonds, everywhere....It amuses me now to go back and read my really old posts.

_15432.jpg

_15433.jpg

supernova__2_0.jpg

_15434.jpg

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
I thought I would never get anything bezel set. And now I have bought two stones that I intend to put into bezel set stackers. :)

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
I have never been into diamonds, but lately I've been itching for an old cut or-- get this-- a marquise! Some warm creamy candlelight diamond and, alternatively, I just think marquises are very glamorous when set in a bezel, with very thin prongs, or certain halos. I've also been weirdly into Toi et Moi/bypass rings lately. I have a feeling I'm not alone and that marquises and Toi et Mois will be getting trendy soon, but we'll see.

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Jade has never appealed to me. I don't think I would ever wear jade, because green isn't my favorite color, and I like sparkle. However, if somebody gave me a nice one, I wouldn't turn it down. ;-)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results