shape
carat
color
clarity

Needing advice and help finding a ruby

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
alukoit|1388416954|3583010 said:
I reached out to David @ multi and he mentioned to get in touch with them after new years for additional pictures. A request to hold the stone was put in also.

Excellent - we look forward to getting the feedback on it after you've had more discussion with David. Not to mention extra pictures :) The website does say dark red, so I would particularly ask him if it mostly looks like the dark red at the tip and whether it does give constant flashes of the brighter colour - i.e. performance. What is it like inside/outside? We look forward (hopefully) to a pic of in on his hand :)

One thing you might like to think about is asking if they have something in the same size and clarity (or better) but not as dark. They often have more gems than are listed on the website and now you have found the setting you know roughly what the costs are going to be for that. Allow a little of leeway and you might be able to add a couple of hundred or so into the price for a better gem in your discussions.

ETA: Yes, absolutely get a report. AGL are the "go to" coloured stone people but it isn't an option, so I'll leave it to others to decide AIGS or GIA for your ruby purchase

ETA 2: Even once you've purchased and have the stone in hand, you have the option of deciding it's not for you and can return it. That's why it is so important to read the vendor's returns policy. See the discussion here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/give-reason-for-returns.169694/ for more information from both sides.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou and Greg,
Try to find a 5 carat untreated ruby that is eye clean and of similar colouration of any shape.
1. Cannot find it; it's just that rare in a ruby
2. If you can find it, it will cost in the millions of dollars.
Comparing the two, doesn't that make the spinel far more affordable, even though it is still expensive to begin with?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alukoit,
If spinel is ever an option, here are 2 for your consideration.

2.3 carat purplish pink pear spinel
Untreated, eye clean and could fit a calibrated 9 x 7 mm setting. I don't know if the window will close up in the setting though. I expect the colour of this spinel to be superior (less dark and better saturated) to the ruby pear, hence the $1062 price.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-987989506

1.3 carat purplish pink pear spinel
Untreated, slightly included, but I'm not sure it fits into a calibrated setting. Even though it seems small at 1.3 carats, it is only 1 mm smaller than the 2.3 carat spinel above, measuring 9 x 6 mm. The window is smaller in this one and the saturation is stronger, although it looks pinker (probably too pink for you). The clarity is also cleaner than the pear ruby, priced at $375.

Unfortunately, there is nothing redder in a pear shape at Multicolour, but this gives you a base for ruby versus spinel pricing comparison.

b_sn7414aa.jpg

j2w_sn10711ab.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1388496195|3583712 said:
Minou and Greg,
Try to find a 5 carat untreated ruby that is eye clean and of similar colouration of any shape.
1. Cannot find it; it's just that rare in a ruby
2. If you can find it, it will cost in the millions of dollars.
Comparing the two, doesn't that make the spinel far more affordable, even though it is still expensive to begin with?

Oh dear, this has veered off in a direction I certainly didn't intend! Yes, yes, there is no argument that there is a substantial difference in costs in large size, high quality specimens! I guess I don't agree that spinels are cheap, or that comparable rubies are necessarily 10 times the amount - or, for that matter, that comparables are in the 'millions of dollars' range. But perhaps my experience is more limited than yours, so since we agree that there is a price differential, lets just leave it there. I certainly meant no disrespect. :))

alukoit

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1388496811|3583717 said:
Alukoit,
If spinel is ever an option, here are 2 for your consideration.

2.3 carat purplish pink pear spinel
Untreated, eye clean and could fit a calibrated 9 x 7 mm setting. I don't know if the window will close up in the setting though. I expect the colour of this spinel to be superior (less dark and better saturated) to the ruby pear, hence the $1062 price.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-987989506

1.3 carat purplish pink pear spinel
Untreated, slightly included, but I'm not sure it fits into a calibrated setting. Even though it seems small at 1.3 carats, it is only 1 mm smaller than the 2.3 carat spinel above, measuring 9 x 6 mm. The window is smaller in this one and the saturation is stronger, although it looks pinker (probably too pink for you). The clarity is also cleaner than the pear ruby, priced at $375.

Unfortunately, there is nothing redder in a pear shape at Multicolour, but this gives you a base for ruby versus spinel pricing comparison.

Chrono, can you take a look at the video on the pear?

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/index.html?1002500883

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does she like what she sees? The ruby is browner than I expected.

alukoit

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1388762248|3585494 said:
Does she like what she sees? The ruby is browner than I expected.

she loves it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do the inclusions bother her? Ask David (MC) whether this stone will hold up well as an engagement ring stone, just to be on the safe side. There is a group coming almost down as a straight line on the pointy end which is the main concern. It looks a bit dark but not overly so and the cut looks very nice, showing good flash and sparkle. I would also ask about the strength of the light used in the video so as not to be surprised when the stone arrives looking darker than what we see here. Do you have any other hesitations or concerns?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Well that was a bit of a surprise. As Chrono says, it is surprisingly browner in the video than would have been indicated by it's first photo but a nice cut and plenty of sparkle.

It is important to realise that this video is also flooded with light and the stone is still likely to be darker in hand, see the still I've taken from the video compared to the website photo.

In addition it is important to clarify the structural integrity with David. I've marked the two areas of concern on the photo grab below.

ruby-inclusions.png

web-vs-video.png

alukoit

Rough_Rock
I am waiting to hear back from David in regards to the light.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Good-oh! Did you ask about the structure? If he says it's sound, I think you're good to go on this one.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1388158014|3581275 said:
Very clarity challenged but the colour and price is tempting.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1191794599
2.03 ct heated ruby for $800

The color on this is beautiful. I know you are looking for a pear, but this is close to the color you posted. The other stones are not as red.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
He may be travelling, he may be sick, he may be any number of things. Honestly? Just buy it and see what you think of the colour and sparkle when you get it. You can follow up on the inclusions then if you wish. You just need to make sure that you do so within the return time frame. David has an honest and reliable vendor reputation.

Understand that pear shaped rubies are not common and good stones in the price point you are looking at are as rare as hen's teeth.

IMHO the Multicolour one leaves the Starruby one for dead.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin|1389417565|3590767 said:
IMHO the Multicolour one leaves the Starruby one for dead.

Yes, I agree. Is Starruby even a trusted vendor? They aren't on the CS vendor list.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1389425567|3590823 said:
Is Starruby even a trusted vendor? They aren't on the CS vendor list.
I would not assume that just because a vendor is not on the "pinned" list means you should not consider dealing with them. Using the Search function here shows that, apart from the dust-up Kenny had with them over a green (irradiated) diamond offered for $250, PS'ers who have purchased stones from them have been happy, e.g.,
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/star-sapphire-rings-from-sally.189121/
And StarRuby has a generous, 30-day return with full refund policy (no restocking fee).

That said, that particular ruby has nothing going for it imo except the price for size. I'm with Starzin -- order the MultiColour one now so you can see it in real life... before someone else snags it (Valentine's Day is approaching) & deprives you of that opportunity.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
MollyMalone|1389449661|3590893 said:
LoversKites|1389425567|3590823 said:
Is Starruby even a trusted vendor? They aren't on the CS vendor list.
I would not assume that just because a vendor is not on the "pinned" list means you should not consider dealing with them. Using the Search function here shows that, apart from the dust-up Kenny had with them over a green (irradiated) diamond offered for $250, PS'ers who have purchased stones from them have been happy, e.g.,
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/star-sapphire-rings-from-sally.189121/
And StarRuby has a generous, 30-day return with full refund policy (no restocking fee).

That said, that particular ruby has nothing going for it imo except the price for size. I'm with Starzin -- order the MultiColour one now so you can see it in real life... before someone else snags it (Valentine's Day is approaching) & deprives you of that opportunity.

Oh, I didn't mean to say that they are not trustworthy, I was browsing around there a while ago and didn't find much info about them. I'm sorry that it came off that way :saint:

Good luck to the vendor, by the way.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Alukoit said:
Where can i find the list of approved vendors? I tried to search but couldnt.
There's a "sticky" at the top of the Coloured Stones forum

ps-vendors-list.png

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering if you have purchased anything :))

It doesn't matter whether or not it fits the criteria discussed above, what's important is that you and your lady are thrilled with it. Do show us!

ETA: If you're still looking that's okay too. If you want us help further we will but I guess we all stopped looking pending you hearing back from David at Multicolour.

alukoit

Rough_Rock
I just placed my order on the pear from multicolor. Added a full AIGS report also. Cannot wait to see it :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Us too; looking forward to your opinion of the ruby in hand.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I hope it will be exactly what you're looking for. :))

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I hope it delights you both in every way. Please take photos! :))

alukoit

Rough_Rock
Okay so it has been some time since i have been here and i wanted to update everyone.

I received my gem from multicolor but unfortunately it was not to our liking. I kind of knew the size to expect for that much money, but she was not pleased with it and we sent it back. The company was very pleasant to deal with and i recommend multicolor to anyone.

I continued my search to find a suitable ring and both of us contemplated going *eeek* lab grown for it's easy availability and affordability.

I found a gorgeous gold antique ring in UK called Parade Antiques and purchased it.

Here is the beauty

The problem i have is the top most surface has faint scratching, almost like marring. Either from a buffing wheel or stone when it was being sized. The guy told me he had someone who can buff it out, but i called today and he mentioned that his buddy moved away.

The jeweler said it was a ruby. Is it possible to have the top buffed out by someone, if so does anyone trust someone?

20140516_120608_resized.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering the other day whether you had got a stone/ring. Thank you for coming back to update us.

I'm sorry the Multicolour ruby was not to your liking but that you did at least see it in hand so that you won't forever wonder if you should have.

The ring you've posted looks well made however it is difficult to see what sort of a stone this is or the markings you talk about on the stone's table.
The jeweler said it was a ruby. Is it possible to have the top buffed out by someone, if so does anyone trust someone?
Do you have a receipt saying it is a ruby ring or does it just say "ring"?

I would sincerely doubt it is a ruby at that size given your budget but the way to ascertain that is to get a gem report from a lab. Being in England, I think you are limited to European labs though. Hopefully another Brit will pop in with pointers on how to go about it.

There is a Jewellers Association you can contact and perhaps they can point you to someone who could polish the gem - for that is what it needs if they are surface scratches. The person would have to be an experienced lapidary not a hobbyist.

The reason you need to find out what the stone is, and any treatment it may have had, is pointed out in a video in a recent thread https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/good-video-about-glass-filled-rubies.202109/ You will see toward the end of the video just what ordinary jeweller's cleaning solution can do to a ruby which is not what it seems.

Please keep us further updated.

alukoit

Rough_Rock
I am actually in the USA, but bought it overseas as the setting was my main goal. I will try to find the Jewelers association and get in touch with them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
alukoit|1400261793|3674266 said:
I found a gorgeous gold antique ring in UK called Parade Antiques and purchased it. The problem i have is the top most surface has faint scratching, almost like marring. Either from a buffing wheel or stone when it was being sized. The guy told me he had someone who can buff it out, but i called today and he mentioned that his buddy moved away. The jeweler said it was a ruby. Is it possible to have the top buffed out by someone, if so does anyone trust someone?
Firstly, I do not see how it is possible to scratch or damage any centre stone when resizing. Secondly, you need independent verification that this is indeed a ruby. Once that is determined, you need to find how the treatments it underwent so that you know how to take of it properly. You do not want this to happen.
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/lead-glass-ruby-nightmare-keeps-giving

I am concerned that the ruby was filled and when it was improperly cleaned, the filling was removed and now you can see its original state.

alukoit

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1400852594|3678730 said:
alukoit|1400261793|3674266 said:
I found a gorgeous gold antique ring in UK called Parade Antiques and purchased it. The problem i have is the top most surface has faint scratching, almost like marring. Either from a buffing wheel or stone when it was being sized. The guy told me he had someone who can buff it out, but i called today and he mentioned that his buddy moved away. The jeweler said it was a ruby. Is it possible to have the top buffed out by someone, if so does anyone trust someone?
Firstly, I do not see how it is possible to scratch or damage any centre stone when resizing. Secondly, you need independent verification that this is indeed a ruby. Once that is determined, you need to find how the treatments it underwent so that you know how to take of it properly. You do not want this to happen.
https://www.pricescope.com/journal/lead-glass-ruby-nightmare-keeps-giving

I am concerned that the ruby was filled and when it was improperly cleaned, the filling was removed and now you can see its original state.

IT doesnt look horrible, but can be noticed at the right angle. It looks surface, not deep.

I looked at the journal entry you posted and it looks nothing close to that. Im going to attempt and take some pictures.

I emailed the jewelers of america. Is Jewelers association the same as Jewelers of america?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go ahead send it to a lab to take a look at it. You do not need to unmount the stone. If they determine it to be synthetic, then there will be no further testing. If it is indeed a ruby, then they will tell you the treatment and the level of treatment, which helps immensely in knowing how to care for your new ring and how safe it is to repolish the ruby (which needs to be removed from the setting for this work).

http://aglgemlab.com/gembrief
Really inexpensive but does not tell you the extent of treatment.
http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist
Pricing for a more thorough verification.

http://www.gia.edu/gem-lab-service/colored-stone

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you very much like the ring. Would it change your opinion of the ring if it turned out not to be a ruby? If I were in your shoes, I'd probably send it off to a lab to find out what it is so that I could properly care for it. But if it was inexpensive, I might not want to know, and just enjoy it - you know?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results