shape
carat
color
clarity

Need inspiration help for round blue stone

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recently took a stone out of it's original setting and I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I don't think I want a halo, but I could be talked into it. The original setting was split shank and engraved. I loved how it set off the stone's faceted girdle, but I really don't think the setting worked with the stone enough, and I think it needs diamonds.

Stone is darker medium blue, 8ish mm round and has chunky faceting.

I was thinking maybe graduated side stones? But please feel free to share your inspiration pictures or ideas!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went through my enormous inspiration folder. These were the results of what caught my eye...

Apologies in advance if I do not give credit where it is due! Please post to let us know if something belongs to you so we can trace it back to the original owner. I am terrible at labeling things to whom they belong! (Ahem, sorry Beyonce.)

2111-a11.jpg

41206mcii_08.jpg

101190322847952357_eopi8esa_f.jpg

article-0-11a24059000005dc-666_306x423.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I could never afford frenchies, but a girl can dream....

britney_0.jpg

_1793.jpg

wbtopic.jpg

victor_canera.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems like I'm leaning towards a tapered look....

singlestone_ideal_setting.jpg

singbell_grnsapph_boxtopviewzoom2.jpg

setting_idea.jpg

marq.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
More pretties....

kdkdiuedjkdjkdjkdsksideview.jpg

il_26.jpg

gabriel_and_co.jpg

Attachments

• ovalsapphireanddiamondring.bmp
    310.7 KB · Views: 1,499

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Last one as it's late and I'm up way way way too late! Plus I am starting to get confused about which ones I posted and which ones I haven't...

excel_vatche_ring.jpg

graduated_sidestones3.jpg

kellyfish_asscher_02.jpg

gorgeous_split_shank.jpg

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
The second photo in your first post is the one that really hung on to me. 41206mcii_08 LOVE it! While I'm definitely guilty of loving (and owning) lots of micropave I do find myself lately being tempted to break from the crowd. I think this ring is classic yet still totally fresh and new. Whichever you choose - I can't wait to see it! I always love your projects :appl:

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
You have some really nice designs shown (and I'm saving a few into my inspiration folder).
Here a just a couple I've been thinking about for a yet-to-be-found round stone in blue-green.
I would really love to try one of these on IRL but so far haven't found a jeweler that has anything similar.

This one is Tacori
ht2299_multi_1.jpg
This one is a Stuller setting
6ea03307-6621-4c24-af04-a062010f6363.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
My two favorites are the "Singlestone Ideal Setting" and the one jbkhere referenced,too. They both have a little something different to them.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first one with the tsavorite (green) in the Leon Mege setting belongs to Pokey, known as the Pokey special around here.

Lately, I've been wanting to get away from the usual split prongs, diamonds in the shank, halo style, going for something different or a twist on the usual to keep it fresh yet still timeless.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Since you are leaning towards the tapered look already I say go for it. Based on your inspiration pictures there are sure a lot of various tapered looks to work with. I liked the art deco side stone look. Delicate bezel with a miligrain always looks great. But I also like the graduating rounds going down the sides ( simple yet sparkly ) and the two designs with the bands wrapped around the shank.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture of the stone that I took the other day after it was removed from the setting, if that helps. It's all crusty, lol!

big_blue.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
jbkhere|1352718750|3303870 said:
The second photo in your first post is the one that really hung on to me. 41206mcii_08 LOVE it! While I'm definitely guilty of loving (and owning) lots of micropave I do find myself lately being tempted to break from the crowd. I think this ring is classic yet still totally fresh and new. Whichever you choose - I can't wait to see it! I always love your projects :appl:
Well I do love that setting, but I bet it's about $15k+, so probably not in the cards!

I plan on taking my time saving up for this setting, but not THAT much time! I don't have the patience! :naughty:

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1352734690|3304016 said:
Here is a picture of the stone that I took the other day after it was removed from the setting, if that helps. It's all crusty, lol!

Everytime I see this stone - it just takes my breath away :love: :love: :love:

jbkhere

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1352734848|3304019 said:
Well I do love that setting, but I bet it's about $15k+, so probably not in the cards!

I plan on taking my time saving up for this setting, but not THAT much time! I don't have the patience! :naughty:
Its only money, right? :bigsmile:
I bet Daniel & Caren could do it for a lot less ;))

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Oooh nice. Is that a spinel?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this setting, which I have since Musey got it. I don't know if I could even get it anymore, I might have to have a replica made....

This is all the same setting

excel_vatche_0.jpg

singbell_grnsapph_0.jpg

museys_rings.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
FrekeChild|1352735543|3304039 said:
I love this setting, which I have since Musey got it. I don't know if I could even get it anymore, I might have to have a replica made....

This is all the same setting
Yes! And it has those cool side bands.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
innerkitten|1352735493|3304037 said:
Oooh nice. Is that a spinel?
Yup IK. It's Big Blue.

More pics! A variety.

big_blue_bright_freke.jpg

blue_spinel_pyrite_freke.jpg

img_4874_on_table.jpg

img_4703_freke.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
jbkhere|1352735136|3304028 said:
FrekeChild|1352734848|3304019 said:

Its only money, right? :bigsmile:
I bet Daniel & Caren could do it for a lot less ;))

Probably, but it's MC2... Their stuff is just....

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
innerkitten|1352736485|3304058 said:
Now I want a big blue spinel too.
Lol. I have three that I'm hoarding. This one, another precision oval, and a "native" cushion.

ETA: Plus another, but that'll be a necklace, and it just got removed from it's setting. The cushion will probably be a necklace too.

blue_spinels3.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking some kind of tapered/graduated look is where it's at. I have a pair of tiny shields, but they are too small, so I'd need some other stones to make them into a 5 stone.

Of course I have this saved too.

tgal_s_ring.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sure Dan and Caren can replicate the MC2 setting but I doubt they can capture the same fine details that make the ring stand out. Not knocking them or anything like that but it isn't easy to get the 3D effect, the little curves and dips in all the right places. It looks easy to replicate at first glance but it really isn't.

Freke,
Are you looking for something custom or off the shelf?
Modern, contemporary or antique?
The reason I'm asking is because the styles you've shown are all over the place. :))

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What Chrono said. Those rings are works of art and I'm not dissing DM and Caren either (because I adore them!) but MC2 is just above and beyond by way of craftsmanship and therefore budget.

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I saw a pair of bigger shield diamonds on eBay. Send me an email if you want the link! ;))
I like the one halo ring you posted amongst the other photos.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1352738641|3304107 said:
I am sure Dan and Caren can replicate the MC2 setting but I doubt they can capture the same fine details that make the ring stand out. Not knocking them or anything like that but it isn't easy to get the 3D effect, the little curves and dips in all the right places. It looks easy to replicate at first glance but it really isn't.

Freke,
Are you looking for something custom or off the shelf?
Modern, contemporary or antique?
The reason I'm asking is because the styles you've shown are all over the place. :))
I'd be impressed if I could find something from off the shelf. I'd be willing to go custom.

Likely not modern. I think more classic for this. I tried to go outside of my comfort zone for the original setting, but instead I found I just didn't wear it.

I know I'm all over the place! I just went through my inspiration folder and posted everything I liked. Lol!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Original setting pictures

img_2018.jpg

img_6181_0.jpg

img_6175_for_barry.jpg

sapphirering

Shiny_Rock
I vote 3 stone! Here's my 7.5mm sapphire (which I took out of its original bezel setting), with two 5mm rounds in a cushion bezel. The ring was hand forged, unplated whited gold.

photo-1_6.jpg

It has a lot of finger presence. I really love it and am considering doing another three stone ring next year.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results