shape
carat
color
clarity

Need ideas for ring settings for Tsavorite and other garnets

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I''ve been lurking here for a few weeks and I have found the discussions on this board to be highly informative. I''ve been fascinated with colored gemstones since I was a kid and now that I am working, I finally have the ability to buy some! Below are two of the stones that I now own and would like to wear as rings:

Tsavorite 1.56cts
6.20mm x 7.40mm x 4.30mm (depth)

Color Change Garnet 1.20cts
5.50mm x 5.50mm x 4.40mm (depth)
note that this stone was photographed in cool daylight and incandescent

What I am looking for is something simple, white setting, set low, not bulky, I prefer clean "industrial" stylings and a tension setting "look" would be even better (though I favor more protected channel settings). I am very open to any and all suggestions and I would be most appreciative of any feedback too.

Best regards,

Scott

garnets.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hm... those rings "looking" like tension from above but channel set look good to me too. Since garnet is rather sturdy, why not! At least for rounds generic settings like this are available (LINK ). One of the jewelers posting here occasionally (avatar name "Griffin") showd one like that... Not difficult to find.

The color change looks nice (from Multicolor, right?) but you should keep in mind that the colors would likely be darker than the respective picture and get darker still in the setting (with no light from the back of the stone that is).
read.gif

If I am right about Multicolour.com, than there are better pieces in their inventory and their GIA color codes are good to look at since ictures online can tell just that much... A little time ago, several small tsavorite with "vivid" saturation stood out among the inventory of this seller
rolleyes.gif

Scott Terence

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so very much Ana, I was hoping you would answer
1.gif
You are quite astute as to the source of the stones and indeed you are correct when you say that I got them from www.multicolour.com . I would say that in person the Tsavorite is a bit darker but more brilliant with quite a bit of sparkle. While the color change garnet does blackout in diffuse lighting conditions, under point source lighting of sufficient intensity, both the color and brilliance in fact comeout nicely. I am very happy with my dealing with multicolour.

Based on my prior description of the ring type I would like for these stones (one ring per stone). What range of prices should I expect for either a white gold or platinum custom setting?

Also would anyone have any recommendations for where to get this done in NYC?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Scott

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, garnet is mounted in tension settings... and the darker color change would obviously benefit from a open setting of some kind. Would a Ti ring work for you?

I am not sure how I might help with prices from where I stand
2.gif
but you might find THIS page informative.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results