shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help With Opal

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Good afternoon all! For those of you in the US, I hope you’re enjoying your day off of work today given tomorrow’s holiday. I know I certainly am!

And what a day off it is…I received two new rings from my friends at FedEx and UPS today, both of which are in violation of my self-ban. I’m still trying to find a way to blame TL’s influential “two is better than one” philosophy for these additional infractions. :naughty: I’m now at three rings post-ban under the logical conclusion that three is better than two, and certainly better than one! Zero are better for the wallet, though that ship has sailed!

I also blame Acinom for her parade of drool-worthy gems…how is one supposed to resist that kind of enticement?

In any case, I’m looking for any feedback you all might have on an opal. It’s the first I’ve ever bought in my life, surprisingly, and I have seven days to return it if I want to. So I’m on the clock!

While I tend to prefer the look of black opals, I simply couldn’t resist the unique look of this light crystal opal ring. The ring is from the Art Deco period circa 1920 (I gravitate towards that period apparently) and is set in platinum with approximately 1ct of diamonds. The center opal is estimated at just north of 6cts, is solid, has a much higher dome by far than I’ve seen on other opals, has good translucency, and exhibits a range of brilliant colors in order of prevalence: orange, red, green, yellow, blue, aqua, and violet.

The orange and red is a large bold flash of color that moves along the base of the stone as your turn it around (no tilting), which is quite cool! As you turn it from one side to the other by tilting it, the orange and red pass across the top in a long kind of jagged strand, almost like a lightning bolt. There’s also a moderately sized moving patch of green that moves part way up the dome upon tilting, but breaks off at the highest point and shifts to the orange/red or greens/yellows depending upon which way it’s tilted. As for the rest of the colors, they mainly appear as varying sizes of little dots, that look like bright colored stars or tiny pieces of confetti. To see the blues, aquas and violet I have to move my hand back and forth - they are quite beautiful though not as bright as the other colors.

I absolutely adore the deco setting itself, and the opal cabochon is quite unique from what I’m used to seeing so that really appeals to me. But what about the quality of the stone and colors itself - would this be considered a quality opal? What might an opal stone like this sell for sans the setting? I searched opal auctions and didn’t see a cut anything like this, but perhaps the cut does nothing for the value. I will not be purchasing another light opal, so I want to ensure I have a great specimen of this lovely stone.

I've read up on opals and their quality factors, but translating what I read to what I am seeing is quite hard, which is why I know you all will have words of wisdom to help me. Have I done good stone-wise, or should I keep looking…thoughts?

View of setting & stone overall:
img_0291.jpg

This shows the translucency of the stone a bit, though it's a LOT more translucent than even this picture shows. It's also the tail end of the "lightning bolt" before it disappears:
img_0292.jpg

Shows a bit of the red and orange that rolls along the base of the stone:
img_0285_0.jpg

Here's where I tried to capture the large flash of green/blue but wasn't all that successful:
img_0286.jpg

img_0287.jpg

These things are HARD to photograph!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I am amazed by the stone and setting! I love the high dome cab and the gorgeous colours. The setting complements the stone so well.

I must say I do not know anything about opals. To my eye it just looks pretty amazing and unique.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Your post reads "need help with opal" but I don't think you need any help at all, from what I can see, you did good, it looks beautiful!

You said it "has good translucency, and exhibits a range of brilliant colors in order of prevalence: orange, red, green, yellow, blue, aqua, and violet" well, those are the most important factors in valuing an opal. The tall cab is nice but adds little to the value except of course the added weight.

"These things are HARD to photograph!!!"
Agreed...IMO, Opals are the hardest stone to photo. I have found that they look best if you can photo them under low light, without flash, but then you'll have other photography issues to deal with like blurriness, etc. Maybe some photography professionals can chime in.

I know it is hard to say based on how the pictures came out, but I can imagine how this looks in low light. I don't know how much you paid for it, but it is not a low quality or commercial grade opal.

And I love the chunky size, just be careful not to scratch it since it sits so high!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you have done well and have a lovely opal in a equally lovely setting. That said, I'm sometimes a klutz with my hands and would live in abject fear that I would smack that opal and that would be the end... :(sad Hopefully, you are careful with your hands. :))

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much Acinom! I’m glad you like it, you little enabler, you!!! :naughty: I say that with absolute affection, of course! :tongue:

Thanks PieAreSquared for posting your thoughts, and encouragement! I took your suggestion of trying some lower lighting pictures, and while it shows some of the colors better, it’s still not showing nearly as vibrant and jam-packed full of color that it does to the naked eye. The new ones also don’t capture the large waves of orange and red that move along the base, but I’ve posted them anyway so you can see.

Thank you so much for your kind words Lovinggems and minousbijoux! I know what you mean about living in fear - I have a couple rings that I’m so in love with that have higher settings, and I’m constantly ensuring that I don’t wave my hands around and smack the stones. I’m most petrified about my moonstone ring…it’s too beautiful to leave in a safety deposit box so I just HAVE to wear it, but if it ever got damaged I’d have a nervous breakdown (my avatar ring).

img_0322_1.jpg

This one does show the start of the orange and red wave along the base on the right side of the stone:
img_0325.jpg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Love your high domed deco style rings! I too would be afraid to wear it but you are used to moonstones so should be all set.

I heard that in addition to color play to look for brightness - or how good the color is in all lights. For what its worth (I don't know anything about opals) but was once told a quick check was to see if the color is as bright at arms length as it is closeup.

Personally, if I am mesmerized by a stones color(s) or play - its a keeper - sounds like you have one...congratulations :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loupe the opal and make sure that is no crazing. Not that I can tell but just FYI.

aussiejamie

Shiny_Rock
Trade
OOOHHH Pretty opal!
Pretty much PieAreSquared is spot on. A medium cab is usually most preferable but that stone suits your ring! Your stone is definitely way above commercial quality. Do you know where the stone comes from? It looks like coober pedy white crystal material to me. I love all opal types but black is definitely my favourite too.
Jamie

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa! Very nice! :love: I've got just an itty bitty opal but IMO what PieRSquared said is correct about taking pictures. It looks at home on your hand! its a keeper, yes??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results