shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help Finding Black Opal!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, somewhere I have a transparency of a beautiful 7-pound precious opal tree limb (in its water tank) from Keith Hodson''s mine there.

The 1.5 pound, 2,610-carat Roebling black opal (image) is named after Col. W.A. Roebling, chief engineer on New York’s Brooklyn Bridge who donated it to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. It isn''t displayed in water but its stability is questionable (to me at least).

Richard M.

Roebling opal.jpg

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/21/2005 12:23:53 AM
Author: Richard M.
Yes, somewhere I have a transparency of a beautiful 7-pound precious opal tree limb (in its water tank) from Keith Hodson''s mine there.

The 1.5 pound, 2,610-carat Roebling black opal (image) is named after Col. W.A. Roebling, chief engineer on New York’s Brooklyn Bridge who donated it to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. It isn''t displayed in water but its stability is questionable (to me at least).

Richard M.

I was having trouble trying to cab some of the precious opal from Virgin Valley. I tried incasing it in casting rosin, and it seems to be doing a good job of keeping the moisture in the opal. I have been calling it "Opal under Glass" and it is one way of saving a colorful gem stone.
Joker....

Pick opal 021.jpg

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
Here are some:

Black Opal -1.jpg

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
No. 2

Black Opal 2.jpg

Sasori

Shiny_Rock
Seems like my 3rd pic aint able to upload.

Anyway just want to acknowledge my source of pic: opalsworldwide.com.au.

I bought my lill red piece: "Vulcano Fire" from them

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Sasori:
You really have some stunning Opals. Thanks for sharing.

Here''s a picture of another opal from the Virgin Valley area.
It''s an opalized twig, and the picture is taken in low light conditions.

Joker....

Pick opal 123.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results