shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on my ring setting. Should I change it?

Drakitono

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone.

First time poster, but long time lurking :)

Few years ago I made this ring through Dubai jewelry shop. First few months I was happy with it, but after discovering this forum and looking at all of your beautiful eye candies my concern starts to grow. Can you give me your honest opinion on the quality of the setting craftsmanship? Thank you!

dsc_290.jpg

dsc_0070.jpg

dsc_291.jpg

dsc_292.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and setting! I like the halo in combination with the plain shank. It's really hard to determine what the quality is based on a photo, but looking at these photo's the ring looks great. Is something particular bothering you? Personally I would not change is.
Looking at enlarged photo's on the photo can influence how you look at your jewelry, while in real life you see you rings from a larger distance.

Drakitono

Rough_Rock
Thank you Acinom!

I think when I saw for the first time pictures of Leon Mege and Victor Canera designs, I understood that my ring is not so perfect... On one side of the halo the diamonds are placed roughly and unevenly (comparing to those from designer's halo :rolleyes: ). Of course I can see it only from a close distance. Maybe you're right, I shouldn't be so picky :)

P.S. Your sapphire ring is one of my favorites here! The color is breathtaking!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are actually the only one who can decide whether it's worth it or not to do a reset. If things are really bothering you than it could be a good decision after all. It's good to take your time though as your setting is really pretty.
Leon's and Victor's rings are gorgeous too, but they come with a price tag. Perhaps this could be the route for an anniversary?

Thank you for your kind words about my sapphire!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful blue sapphire!

Regarding the setting, the important thing is that you love it! Everyone will have their own preferences - I love clean lines and simple prong set solitaire or three stone settings, DK prefers bezels! If you love the setting it doesn't matter what other people think!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What's done is done, so I do not like to comment on items that a poster has had for a while, be it a few days or a few years. Enjoy it as is and if it still bothers you down the road, you can always have it redone under the excuse of an anniversary, birthday or some other occasion...or none at all. :lol:

Drakitono

Rough_Rock
To Acinom:

I will definitely postpone the decision about resetting, especially considering the price tag. At Least for now I'm a little bit releaved, because of your valuable suggestions and kind words.:)

Drakitono

Rough_Rock
Thank you Ricezo :)

The thing is that I'm not sure that I like it.

By zodiac I'm libra, so it's very often in my life when I cannot deside or choose something by myself. Sometimes it's really frustrating. Thankfully, the world is full of amazing human beings, who can give a good advise and help to make a decision.:)

Chrono,

I like your idea about resetting it without any excuses:)

When My husband bought me this ring, the reason was - my love for sapphires, so maybe next time the reason would be a sunny day or just because "why not?" :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Things you can do to improve the appearance is to make the prongs more refined, right now, they look too big, and add some milgrain, if there's room. I suspect the prongs are large because the stone is sitting very deeply in there, because the setting might be a tad too large for the stone??? Is that true? However, it's a pretty setting, nice diamonds. It depends on your taste and budget of course.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS is dangerous and should have a warning pop up before entering.

Very pretty ring imo..continue to enjoy it!

Edited: If it really bothers you and want to upgraede, folks here are a great source for ideas. If you take it to a jeweler with a good bench, he/she can tell you if what TL suspects is true and what can be done at a lower cost if feasible.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: I like that idea of a pop up warning!! "Eye Candy in this forum can be addictive"

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Drakitono|1429865264|3866997 said:
Thank you Acinom!

I think when I saw for the first time pictures of Leon Mege and Victor Canera designs, I understood that my ring is not so perfect... On one side of the halo the diamonds are placed roughly and unevenly (comparing to those from designer's halo :rolleyes: ). Of course I can see it only from a close distance. Maybe you're right, I shouldn't be so picky :)

P.S. Your sapphire ring is one of my favorites here! The color is breathtaking!
Leon Mege and Victor Canera's halos are hand-forged, and cost at least twice as much as standard halos. Even knowing that these halos are beautiful, I've opted to get my rings cast because of cost, and because there are several vendors who make nice cast halos.

Your ring looks nice. If it really bothers you, can always call LM or VC for a quote on a halo and decide if that is a route you would like to take.

Drakitono

Rough_Rock
TL,

Thank you for suggestions!

Actually it's the second resetting of my ring. When the jeweler made it for the first time, two prongs were damaged after only 2 weeks of wearing! Luckily my friend found the sapphire in her car. So I told jeweler to make prongs more sturdy.

Lilmosun,

So true about the warning! if I did not see all the beauties here, I would not think about the resetting in the first place :)

Thank you pregcurious!

I guess I would try to send inquiry later to VC and LM. I'm a little bit afraid to make the ring at the local jewellers because of my bad experience earlier (though it was in Dubai and jewellers there could be unskilled due to the fact that salary and work conditions are not the best at least).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Expect pricing of $5K and upwards for a handforged halo setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results