shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice for 8 Carat Unheated Sapphire Gem

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
I just buy an 8.15 carat unheated sapphire stone, when I get the stone I found out that there is something inside that looks like a crack, but not sure is it a crack or just some inclusion, the stone looks clear only this line bothers me. I am attching picture I made with my macro photo to show, please let me know what you think is it possible to be a crack inside the stone? or is it just somekind of inclusions
I was thinking it is a good deal as not everyday you can see over 8 carat unheated sapphire, but anyway please let me know your opinion, I am not sure to keep it or return it, I was planning to make a ring with it
Thank you for your help

_20550.jpg

_20551.jpg

_20552.jpg

_20553.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it is a inclusion (a fracture). Does it break the surface (can you feel it with your nail)? If you like the colour and the inclusion doesn't bother you, you can keep it if you feel you paid a good price. If not, I would return it. A 8 ct unheated sapphire of any hue with strong saturation is uncommon. Not so for one with low saturation.

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono, it does not it break the surface, it's inside the stone, I can't feel it with my nail, I am not sure if this inclusion significant decrease the value of the stone? I paid over $1000 for it do you think it is worth the money?
Thank again

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beauty (and hence value) is tied to the colour as seen in the face up position. Do you have any pictures of it showing the table view? Buy it because you love the colour. A deal is only a deal if you love it.

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
Hi Chrono, here is the picture from the front, please let me know what do you think?
Thanks again for your advise!

_20561.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you absolutely love this colour or did you purchase it because you thought an unheated 8 ct sapphire is rare?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Since you can't see the inclusion from the front it wouldn't bother me. However, I can't see into the stone really at all from the front, and the photo looks to have been very strongly lit. I would send it back for that alone.

gemvalue

Rough_Rock
Well I personally prefer royal blue, but over 8 carat unheated I could not find similar one less than $15,000 which is well over my budged, and the one I get color is not that bad I think, so to answer the question I get it because of size, un-treatment and price but I also like it, just that inclusion bother me, that is why I asked for professional advice

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry to say that the darkness of the gem (very difficult to see the colour and look into the sapphire), and the colour zoning (uneven mix of blue and green) is what bothers me more than the inclusion. Given that you are looking for a dark blue, let's go with that for now. $15K is too low for an unheated 8 ct dark blue sapphire but I will look around. Unless you have proof from a lab that it is untreated, I would take the vendor's word with a salt shaker.

As you can see, a nicely coloured but dark unheated 9 ct cabochon blue sapphire is already $4.5K
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-57ct-UNHEATED-Cabochon-Cut-Natural-Blue-Sapphire-/251570904834?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item3a92cb5f02

I presume you want a much darker colour than this?
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?875395542

4 ct for $500 because the stone isn't fully transparent
http://www.gemartservices.com/stones.php?id=sap008

Do you mind sharing pictures of what the ideal blue sapphire for you looks like?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results