shape
carat
color
clarity

Need a new 1.50-2.0 carat round Rubellite- Please help!

Kikimeister

Rough_Rock
Hello all, I'm new here but stalked Pricescope about a year ago during the search for my e-ring stone. I ended up with a beautiful magenta-red rubellite 7.55mm, 1.75 carat stone from ajs gems. I loved that stone, LOVED it, the color was just amazing -- ruby red in indoor lighting and with flashes of magenta fire in natural outdoor light. After a series of unfortunate events in regards to my original e-ring setting, the jeweler's attempt to "make things right" with a custom CAD re-do, and finally the jeweler saying they can't meet my "exacting" specifications regarding the redo...they refunded our money for the e-ring setting and sent back the stone.... however the stone arrived with a huge fracture on the side of it!! This is after I told them repeatedly to be careful with my stone, and they promised that nothing would happen to it while it was in their care. :( We're are going to the jewelers tomorrow to try and sort this mess out. What a nightmare this has been.

I'm devastated over the loss, but am on the hunt for a replacement rubellite. My original was 1.75 carats, 7.55 mm round, a beautiful magenta-red, eye-clean, no heat treatment, brilliant and fiery, no windows. I would like to find something similar...as similar to my original beauty as possible.

So I have a few questions for the CS forum members --

1. Would going up in size/carat be a huge difference size-wise? There appear to be very few rounds currently on the market so I'm limited in what is available. I've found only a few stones in the size/color/clarity that I like...most of the stones in the color/clarity I like are around 3-4 carats, 9.5mm-10.45mm in size. I thought my stone originally was a good size, big but not too big. I want something close in color/clarity, but I don't want a massive stone that will overshadow whatever setting I get next or something that is going to be hard to wear day-in-day-out.

2. I have two stones that I'm looking at as suitable replacements that are similar in size, however not quite exact in color as the original stone. One is from ajs gems and is only .01 carat off in size. The other is from gemfix and is 1.56 carats...and about double in price! eek! Not sure which one to consider over the other.... Aside from a more precise cut, what else would account for the price difference??

3. Any suggestions as to where to look for a reputable seller of gemstones/rubellite tourmaline?? Are there other online stores/sources that I may not know about?? I have 4 months until my wedding day, so I can't wait too long to find a new stone -- I still need to find a whole new e-ring setting, along with a wedding band to match! If anyone can provide any suggestions or help, I would greatly appreciate it! TIA!!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi kiki.

Sorry to hear about your experience with the jeweler. I'd like to see what color you are interested in. Rubelite seems to be varied in color from vendor to vendor. To me, a top grade rubelite is almost like a red like ruby. I have only seen one like that. i have two rubelites myself that are more magenta color (more on the pink side) , rather then red. Its a hot color(sorry, I don't do pictures). I have seen others that lean toward the burgundy color side. That color is not my ideal color for rubelite.

I did read that rubelite is becoming hard to get. I never know if those kinds of statement are true or not. I have an emerald cut 3.25 cts and an oval one that is 2.20 cts. They appraised out quite high. I think the disparity in price may be on the color and fineness of the gem. *I did not go to look at those you mentioned however.

The experts will show here, I think and can elaborate more.

Annette

Kikimeister

Rough_Rock
Here is the link to the stone I originally bought from AJS Gems. The gem itself IRL has more red color overall, which Ron informed me about prior to selling. Not nearly as purple as the link would have you think, more of a deep magenta within overall red tones. http://www.ajsgem.com/tourmaline/rubellite-tourmaline/rubellite-tourmaline-1.75-carats.html

One of the possible replacement gems that Ron currently has in stock, however the color looks more neon and pink than my old stone did... I'm afraid it would be too neon pinky IRL and in the setting.
http://www.ajsgem.com/tourmaline/rubellite-tourmaline/rubellite-tourmaline-1.74-carats.html

This is 3.73 carat stone from AJS that is a stunning color (IMO) and color-wise is closest to what I would like to have - http://www.ajsgem.com/tourmaline/rubellite-tourmaline/rubellite-tourmaline-3.73-carats.html

Not sure if that would help anyone! Rounds are definitely hard to find!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at GemFix? They have several round Rubellites in your carat range but the closest one in size to your original stone is only 7.1mm and maybe more pink than yours... I really love the 5.06ct round but that one is quite a bit over range!

Kikimeister

Rough_Rock
marymm|1361143829|3382632 said:
Have you looked at GemFix? They have several round Rubellites in your carat range but the closest one in size to your original stone is only 7.1mm and maybe more pink than yours... I really love the 5.06ct round but that one is quite a bit over range!

I love the rubellites over at GemFix! The 1.56 carat is more fuschia than I'm looking for... however it is a contender, but at that price it is double of the one over at AJSGems.

I love the 3.13 ct one and the 5.06 ct one at GemFix too! But those are crazy big!!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you know this already because you've been doing this for a while, but you might want to contact the vendors directly in case they have other stones that haven't made it to the website yet (I say this really in the case of Gemfix). I would also contact Gene at Precision Gem because he had some amazing rough a while ago, and may have more. So if I'm getting it right, you are looking for a deep purplish red, not a pinkish red? Something just slightly lighter than magenta, but not as dark as red wine? (sorry, it gets kinda ridiculous trying to describe colors!)

Kikimeister

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1361147176|3382667 said:
It sounds like you know this already because you've been doing this for a while, but you might want to contact the vendors directly in case they have other stones that haven't made it to the website yet (I say this really in the case of Gemfix). I would also contact Gene at Precision Gem because he had some amazing rough a while ago, and may have more. So if I'm getting it right, you are looking for a deep purplish red, not a pinkish red? Something just slightly lighter than magenta, but not as dark as red wine? (sorry, it gets kinda ridiculous trying to describe colors!)

Just found out about the fractured gemstone yesterday, so I'm just starting to contact vendors to see what they might have "behind the scenes" in their stock. I'll also contact Gene. Thanks for the info!

And I know what you mean on how crazy it is to describe these colors! I think a deep purplish red is pretty accurate. My worry on some of these rubellites is that they can get very pinky-red... which is a lovely color, but wasn't what I was looking for in my e-ring. I may have to sacrifice color to get the size and shape I need though, will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Again, thanks for the help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before I read through your post, note that a rubellite is a very poor choice as an e-ring stone. They are softer and brittle, meaning they chip easily. They are also dust magnets and so require more frequent cleaning. Since irradiation is currently undetectable by labs, many vendors are selling irradiated Rubellites without disclosure or are unknowingly selling treated stones.

Pricing descrepency might be due to the fact that some rubellite brown out under incandescent light or black out under different lighting.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Did you check out the one that I posted from Beau-wy? He may have others or rough to cut as well. Mine from him is Nigerian (which are prone to color-shift to brown/orange) but mine does not. He will tell you if they shift.

Here is mine which is probably similar to what he has available.

_3806.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmmmmm you need to be careful when buying Rubellite for the following reasons:-

1. Many many many many many Rubellites will have a brown or orange tint to them in incandescent lighting. I personally don't call these Rubellites as they are not "Ruby like" as the name suggests. However, that's my own exacting standards and there are some that agree and some that don't. Lovely Rubellites instead of moving to brown, will have a purple tone to them (which I find pleasing) in incandescent lighting.

2. If they don't brown out then they may also close up and have very large areas of extinction and can be very dark. I personally don't consider these to be good specimens. Others may disagree.

3. Irradiated Rubellite is now much more common on the market than ever before. Typically they are very clean. Some will tell you that irradiation doesn't affect value and this may be true BUT if you're a purist then you need to find out.

4. Lastly and most importantly, Chrono is absolutely correct that Rubellite (or any of the tourmaline family) are really NOT durable enough for engagement rings.

Good untreated Rubellite is exceptionally difficult to find. For about the last 5-8 years most Rubellite on the market has been treated in some way so finding some that hasn't will be a challenge.

In terms of your stone that has been fractured, I'm afraid that your jeweller may say that he/she is not insured if the stone is not purchased through them. This is very common I'm afraid. If your jeweller offers to put it right (and he may not) then this will be a great gesture.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ChrisA222|1361210369|3383182 said:
Did you check out the one that I posted from Beau-wy? He may have others or rough to cut as well. Mine from him is Nigerian (which are prone to color-shift to brown/orange) but mine does not. He will tell you if they shift.

Excellent summary LD.

Chris, be careful when taking your photos that you don't overstate color. By the looks of going on with the white cotton, the way the shadow on the immediate left side is bluish, means it is oversaturated for color and the color of your stone is likely oversaturated as well, showing more intensity of color than is likely there in hand. OP, if you want help, please feel free to ask questions of your potential new stones before you purchase =) Just make sure to mask the stone/vendor to avoid lurkage.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chris what on earth have you done to your camera to get that weird photo? Are you playing around with the settings/lighting? This looks photoshopped or just weirdly photographed. I agree with Minou that I doubt very much whether this is a true representation of colour/saturation.

I noticed it on another of your photos as well. I can't remember which but it was a red cushion cut stone that you said the white background showed you'd got the colour right but the "white" background was actually pink so it made the stone look more red. I think that may happen when you chose to colour correct on the camera. I have a Canon and it has the option of adding a red, green, blue, yellow tint to photos and this is exactly what happens if I use that.

Have you tried just using the automatic setting? I know that sounds boring but I think what you're doing now is odd! No offense intended.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only ever bought one rubellite, and it's from Barry at acstones.com, i'm guessing it's too pink compared to what you're picturing.
file.jpg

Do you have any photos of the color you're aiming for? Edit: Oops, nevermind! I see the links now :)

Hmmm, I think recently there was a rubellite ring on diamond bistro that looked like it might be close to those colors...i'll see if I can find it..

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colorluvr's may be very pretty, but its hard to tell from that photo. As you can see, its pretty washed out, so while it may be lightening up the stone which might otherwise be too dark, its also washing out some of the intensity of color for sure. That said, I agree with MTG that it might be worth following up on, though it sounds like you want a stone and not a whole ring.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
I still have that stone, but I reset it in a diamond halo and I like it much better so I am going to keep it, but I suggest you contact Roger Dery to see if he has any rough that might fit your needs. I'm a color first/cut second person in most gemstones, but in the case of most of the rubellites I've seen, I think a precision cut is often necessary to bring out the true beauty of the stone.

I have a couple of Lisa Elser cut tourmalines that are very pretty also (one would be considered a rubellite, but the other one is more of a purplish stone and I wouldn't classify it as a true rubellite). I would also contact her in your vendor search.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1361225276|3383492 said:
Colorluvr's may be very pretty, but its hard to tell from that photo. As you can see, its pretty washed out, so while it may be lightening up the stone which might otherwise be too dark, its also washing out some of the intensity of color for sure. That said, I agree with MTG that it might be worth following up on, though it sounds like you want a stone and not a whole ring.

I took that particular photo to show the faceting when the stone was for sale. The photos that showed the actual color didn't show the great faceting :errrr:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CL: I hope you did not take my comment the wrong way - I know you are diligent in taking many photos of your stones and trying to be as accurate as possible when describing them. I just thought the OP should know in case they were seriously interested and couldn't read photos well... ;))

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
Here is my rubellite from Gene at precision gem. I bought it last year.

img_611.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
erinl|1361237888|3383792 said:
Here is my rubellite from Gene at precision gem. I bought it last year.

We are SO in lock step, as of course, I have its twin! :appl: :appl:

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1361220571|3383391 said:

Excellent summary LD.

Chris, be careful when taking your photos that you don't overstate color. By the looks of going on with the white cotton, the way the shadow on the immediate left side is bluish, means it is oversaturated for color and the color of your stone is likely oversaturated as well, showing more intensity of color than is likely there in hand. OP, if you want help, please feel free to ask questions of your potential new stones before you purchase =) Just make sure to mask the stone/vendor to avoid lurkage.

LOL Minou and LD - that's a new one! Usually, I get told that my pics are terrible, not that they must be tweaked to look better! Here is Dan Stairs pic, which I think is quite similar in terms of colouring. I didn't buy it from Dan, but he cut it for the vendor.It took me a while to find that stone...it is the perfect Purplish-Red. At least for me. The key with Rubellite is that it holds its color...this stone stays within its Red-Purple, never going towards a brown or Orange.

I had another couple that I also took.

newrubellite_.jpg

_3837.jpg

_3838.jpg

Kikimeister

Rough_Rock
OMG, those last few photos of rubellites are GORGEOUS. You guys have me drooling over here, seriously.

I have decided to buy a gem from AJS, as it is closest in size to my original gemstone. I really want to make sure that color and overall look matches what I have in my head, lol, so if that doesn't work out I will keep looking and asking around.

And to the one person who was thinking about selling the rubellite and then reset it in a halo -- halos and rubellites rock. enjoy your "new" ring! :)

Also, I know the hardness level of rubellite isn't really suited for an engagement ring -- however I'm not a diamond girl, and am also not a fan of the "traditional" gemstones. I fell in love with Rubellites during my search for a stone last year, and am willing to take extra precautions to ensure the safety of my gemstone for as long as I can. Eventually, maybe, I might replace it with a ruby, but for now our budget (and my desire to save up for our first house!) is keeping me with the Rubellite.

Kikimeister

Rough_Rock

Yup, I checked it out! Its a beauty, but way over my price range, lol! I will contact him via ebay and see if he has any rounds in stock that would be a viable 2nd option for me. He has a cute little trillion stone available, but I have no idea what I would do with it...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There you go, Chris. These pics are better. I don't frankly understand what the camera is doing when it decides to overrexpose a picture so the whites are so blinding or heighten colors so things appear oversaturated, but it happens. Its funny, but I find that when it happens, I end up correcting it down, doing the opposite of what so many ebay vendors do! In your latest photos, it looks darker but the white looks correct, so I assume that is closer to the true color of your stone - sort of a burgundy or wine red.

Erin, I am working on understanding my camera and setting up a light tent or studio setting or whatever you call it when you take a box, line it with white paper, cut a hole in one end for your camera lens, put up a white poster board and shine a bright light on the poster board which reflects the light down into the box where the gem is so that you can take better pictures. Phew. I said it. Anyway, the rubellite is at the bank. When I figure it all out, I'll take some pics. In the meantime, here's Gene's pic (I know I didn't need to say all that, lol).

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoops. Forgot the rubellite picture. Erini: this is for you (and the OP of course).

2-18-13gene_rubellite_preview.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2 rubellite from Gene are smashing!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ChrisA222|1361241727|3383886 said:
minousbijoux|1361220571|3383391 said:

Excellent summary LD.

LOL Minou and LD - that's a new one! Usually, I get told that my pics are terrible, not that they must be tweaked to look better! Here is Dan Stairs pic, which I think is quite similar in terms of colouring. I didn't buy it from Dan, but he cut it for the vendor.It took me a while to find that stone...it is the perfect Purplish-Red. At least for me. The key with Rubellite is that it holds its color...this stone stays within its Red-Purple, never going towards a brown or Orange.

I had another couple that I also took.

Chris your photos are still "off". See how blue it looks around the stone now? Again, it's not representative. Please don't post a stone that is a lookie likey and say "this looks like mine" as it's really confusing! If you look at Dan's photo the background is completely "off" so who knows what this stone looks like IRL!!!!!

What on earth are you doing with your photos? Are you using Microsoft Paint to try and change the resolution etc? That causes that odd effect of the blurring in the first picture.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1361280998|3384165 said:
The 2 rubellite from Gene are smashing!

+1

I bought a Rubellite from AJS and was disappointed. Their photo and mine are completely different! Actually I kept the stone because of the cut and I had an idea to replicate a specific pendant. I note that you've bought from them before so hopefully if you decide to use them you know to ramp down the vividness and saturation a couple of notches to imagine what the stone will actually be like. They're good value for money though.

On the other hand, Gene's photos are typically a very true representation of what you'll get so if he has any, and they appeal to you, just pull the trigger!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results