shape
carat
color
clarity

natural unheated star sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

spartacus

Rough_Rock
After being duped into buying a misrepresented Linde star sapphire ring by someone I trusted in Taiwan forty years ago, I determined to be a better informed layman on the virtues of natural, unheated star sapphires. I struggled greatly with the 4C''s and the diverse interpretations used in the evaluation of natural star sapphire gemstone attributes. After considerable investigation, I concluded that an important fifth "C" should be added to the equation used in the evaluation of natural, unheated, star sapphires. That fifth "C" is overall "Character ". Using the 5"C" premise I began my search for a natural, unheated, star sapphire gemstone on the internet about a year ago. Judging star sapphires on the internet can be challenging, but AJS generally does a fine job of photographing their star sapphires for their WEB site, therefore making the evaluation of gemstone attributes somewhat more predictable.
1.gif

BY illustration, the depth and beauty of the stone that I eventually purchased from AJS is best compared to the celestial phenomenon of the Hubble Telescope photographs of the birth of stars in the Magellanic cloud, and/or the dark matter ring photograph CL 0024+17. The stone has fine deep blue color, is well cut, is over ten carat weight, and has translucent zones permeated with minute zircon crystal filled clouds- a stunning beauty! The gem also has an exceptional overall appearance with a vivid star of almost perfect symmetry. Since I purchased the stone, two independent gemologist have seen the ring and have been surprised by the gems natural character and beauty. The appraised value on the $900 gem has been professionally estimated to be approximately $10,000.-$12000. What a deal!
Thank you AJS !

blingergrrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for the information. I have always had a soft spot for star sapphires but they seem to be very mysterious creatures when trying to evaluate them. I agree, Character should be added to the list, as each one is as different as a snow flake!

Do you have any pics of your stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d love to see your pictures. I''ve dealt with AJS numerous times but I''m sorry to say I doubt it is really worth 10x what you paid. It seems to be overly inflated.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''d love to see your stone! I too have a beautiful star that I''m going to be setting soon. I totally agree the "Character" would make an ideal 5th C.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to pictures after reading about that description of it!!
emdgust.gif

spartacus

Rough_Rock
Yes. An estimate of worth, or value, is very subjective and personal. In this case, the individual providing the estimate was basing his determination of value on personal experience with the sales of similar stones. In the final analysis, an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I''m not looking for a debate on subjectivity- sorry no pictures
9.gif

spartacus

Rough_Rock
I did have pictures, but they went out with my old computer and it''s crashed hard drive. Photographing stars can vary greatly from photograph to photograph so I''m not sure justice to the stone could be done with my limited photographic talents,

I may give it a try!
1.gif

spartacus

Rough_Rock
Yes. In the final analysis, it''s all things relevant (including emotion) that add up to a thing of beauty in the eye of the beholder.
1.gif

spartacus

Rough_Rock
Could I do it justice? The beauty is multidimensional and a photograph is only two dimensionial. To see what I see, you would need differing light sources and a good lens to enable you to explore deeply into the stone.
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You’ve certainly got me more curious than ever. How about AJS’ picture of the stone? I know it may not be the best but I think you’ve whetted more than a few appetites.
11.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spartacus,
I agree with you that "character", or "personality," should be sought. That said, I''m not sure that the 4Cs translate to the coloured universe. Like the others, my interest is piqued. I know it''s quite a task, but would it be possible to see pictures of the inclusions? Thanks!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Spartacus,
I agree with you that "character", or "personality," should be sought -- for all gems even. That said, I''m not sure that the 4Cs translate to the coloured universe. Like the others, my interest is piqued. I know it''s quite a task, but would it be possible to see pictures of the inclusions? Thanks!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Add my voice to that of the curious. I''d love to see a picture of that stone!

spartacus

Rough_Rock
My camera does not have the appropriate focal length for this kind of photo. Until I get something better this will have to do even though it is a poor representation of the gem-

IMG_1969.JPG

spartacus

Rough_Rock
Great idea! Where would I find the photograph on AJS''s WEB site????????????
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AJS will usually send you a link to their cert when you make a purchase. The link will also include a picture of the stone.

If your camera has macro mode aka the tulip icon, it will allow you to take a close up picture.

spartacus

Rough_Rock
Sorry, the cert link went out with my old computer (yes I still have the hard drive). Here is the best I can do with my limited equipment. One shot is direct sun and the other is indirect.

IMG_1977_2.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a nice star sapphire. Thanks for the pictures.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
The fifth "C" should probably be "certification". Almost all of the blue star sapphires I see have been diffusion treated to improve the star (the black star sapphires are usually untreated). The stone you purchased looks impressive, but given the price you paid for it, I hope you received a test report from a recognized gemological lab certifying it as unheated. I wouldn''t accept a certificate provided by the seller, even from a reputable dealer.

As far as the appraisals go, there''s only one kind of appraisal that''s really worth anything -- a written offer to purchase the stone at the appraised price.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/20/2009 8:48:56 AM
Author: morecarats
The fifth ''C'' should probably be ''certification''. Almost all of the blue star sapphires I see have been diffusion treated to improve the star (the black star sapphires are usually untreated). The stone you purchased looks impressive, but given the price you paid for it, I hope you received a test report from a recognized gemological lab certifying it as unheated. I wouldn''t accept a certificate provided by the seller, even from a reputable dealer.

As far as the appraisals go, there''s only one kind of appraisal that''s really worth anything -- a written offer to purchase the stone at the appraised price.

I agree with everything more carats has said.
I also don''t think you should take that appraisal too seriously -
if you love and enjoy the gem, and know you paid a suitable price, that''s what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results