shape
carat
color
clarity

My star sapphire ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
While I had my camera out, I took some pictures of another ebay ring, this one from a couple years ago. It''s a largish star sapphire set in a 14k white gold setting that has an early ''60s feel to me. (What do you think, Jewelerman?) The setting looks as if it was made for the stone, which I think is natural, since it doesn''t look good enough to be fake. It''s a whitish, grayish light blue, the color of a cloud just before a downpour. It has stripes of whiter and bluer colors, with one stripe that''s more transparent than the rest of the stone, and yellowish splotches here and there. It''s not entirely opaque, but definitely not transparent. The star is nice and strong and sharp, well centered (though rotated a few degrees). It''s a tall gumdrop shape. I didn''t pay very much for it, and I assume it''s not worth a huge amount (though I would love to learn that I''m wrong!). I bought it because I always wanted a star sapphire--I love interactive stones.

starsapphire50s2.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
This shows the color zoning pretty well, though it''s more opaque-looking than in real life.

starsapphire50s3.jpg

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that is a different color. I kinda like the cloudy blue gray, most star sapphires I''ve seen are really dark blue, too dark for my tasts. It sure looks tall though!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
GLITTER,
I should be looking for employment...but your posts keep just pulling me in!Yes...from the picture...this looks like a natural star sapphire...The setting is recent...in my opintion late 1960s-mid 1970s-ish...when star sapphires were the rage and most stores carried the Linde synthetics...I love star sappires...the star is pretty good in this stone...the color is not as valuable but no less beautiful!This would look good in a mans ring dont you think...as a gift...for a friend......POST MORE JEWELRY....

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Aw, shucks, Jewelerman! Okay, I''ll start a thread just for you, in the Jewelry pieces forum. (Yes, that star sapphire would look terrific in a man''s ring, heavy platinum I think.)

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Glitterata:

I have never seen one like this! And, the dark blue star sapphires are not one of my favourites, but this one has a very cool retro-look to it!

Thank you for posting it.

LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results