shape
carat
color
clarity

My new Montana sapphire E-ring!!! With custom wedding band

Nbiller

Rough_Rock
Well my quest is finally over and I have the ring of my dreams!!!

My engagement ring was once worn my my fiancé's grandmother from England and the ring was very special to his mother. I loved the setting but had always wanted a turquoise colored stone. The stone was very dark and huge, making the search for a replacement stone very difficult. I must have emailed 25 cutters before Peter Torraca said he might be able to find something.

The setting fit a 10mmx8mm stone and we couldn't go any smaller. So it turns out Montana sapphires are notoriously small and since I also had a particular color in mind it would be near impossible to find. But peter did it!!!!!

The setting was also not intended to be paired with a wedding band (I think) as it sits flush against my finger. I wasn't to keen on the "gap" idea and though that custom diamond bands going around my already pretty sizable halo would be too much. So we had my amazing local jeweler in Charlotte NC create a hand carved open jacket that fits perfect. The jacket was made using 100% of the materials (diamond and gold) from my great aunt and grandmother.

I'm completely flabbergasted with how perfect this came out. If anyone needs a custom stone cut peter was wonderful to work with!

Everyone please let me know what you think! I don't think my friends and family will appreciate this ring as much as the experts here! You guys really played a crucial hand as well, I have been reading endless threads on Montana sapphires and halos and wedding sets.

_20509.jpg

_20510.jpg

_20511.jpg

_20512.jpg

Nbiller

Rough_Rock
Re: My new Montana sapphire E-ring!!! With custom wedding ba

Here are some more of the band...

And stone picture in different lighting with details from peter Torraca:
Sapphire (Montana, USA). 3.87ct, 8.00x10.11x6.31mm. Untreated. Inc1. Custom Oval.

_20518.jpg

_20519.jpg

_20520.jpg

_20521.jpg

Nbiller

Rough_Rock

This is the original ring with darker colored sapphire. I'm turning it into a pendant (rose gold and bezel setting) that I'll wear and figure I can pass on to my kids.

_20522.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Wow! What a great story! I can't believe you found such a perfect Montana sapphire! Hard work really does pay off! Congratulations on your perfect ring. It's gorgeous.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

Wow!

I admit I wasn't too sure when I first saw the PT photos, but it is just stunning in the ring! The ring is lovely, and that's such a fantastic way to make it your own!

:appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

That is absolutely stunning!!! Awards for Peter. And you, for hanging in until you found what you want. I'm drooling.

Hey, NBiller, do you mind sharing who your jeweler is in Charlotte? I've been looking for a good one for ages & ages.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

Congrats on the beautiful and sentimental pieces.

Out of curiosity, how long did it take to find the sapphire?

Nbiller

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone so much!!!! I still can't believe it all worked out and rather quickly considering all the customization that needed to happen.

@loverskites - The sapphire took me about 3 months to find and I really credit that to peter Torraca. Blaze with blazengems helped out too though I didn't end up finding a match with him.

@jewelfreak - I cannot rave enough about my jeweler hes wonderful! The shop is in NoDa near cabo fish taco and this is their website http://madebycustom.com As you can tell by the name, they do many custom pieces.

ephsea

Shiny_Rock

:appl: :appl: Amazing stone and the sentiment is lovely as well! "Heirloom enhancement" we'll call it? I've a little of that planned myself.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Crazy about your ring. Cluster types are my favorite style and there seems to be quite a few popping up on Pricescope lately. Really, really pretty! Congrats to you! :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is an awesome shot. Beautiful ring, enjoy.

I love this stone with orange.

_20511.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This is absolutely spectacular!

That style vintage cluster has a special place in my heart and how amazing that he was able to take all your requirements and finding such a lovely stone. Oh, and the size!

All your pics are amazing but that first one is just perfect.

And you're right. Peter is amazing. You should send him a pic if he hasn't seen it yet, I know he likes to see a lovely finished product!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's absolutely gorgeous! I LOVE that color of sapphire!!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Aha, Nbiller, I have that shop bookmarked but haven't been there yet. Will have to check them out. I talked with Designs by Shirlee about a year ago -- they seem skilled too -- have you ever been to their store? Thanks for the confirmation -- actually the Custom blog is interesting as heck.

--- laurie

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

It's GORGEOUS! Congratulations on such a beautiful piece!

makeable

Shiny_Rock

Love it! It's HUGE and sooo beautiful. Congrats! :appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congrats on such a beautiful ring & drool-worthy Montana! :appl: and how sweet that you're converting the original stone to a new family heirloom for your future generations to treasure. :)

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stunning ring! You must be thrilled. I love the custom wedding band, it looks like one gorgeous ring.

Nbiller

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone I really am thrilled!! I feel like I'm now part of a secret Montana sapphire club haha

Now I have a new addiction caused from my search. Even though I have the perfect stone I keep checking all the major stone cutter websites looking at Montana's thinking hmmm that would make great earrings or a bracelet.

I think I need to plan a Montana mining trip!!!! Montana tennis bracelet here I come. I actually saw from someone here a gorgeous Montana bangle with mixed metals and I can't get it out of my mind!

Laurie, I haven't been to that shop and we totally stumbled upon customs. We live in NoDa so my fiancé walked in there before proposing for the basics in the ring (resize and cleaning) and they were so great and knowledgable that we used Lee for the whole project. I really can't recommend them enough. His blog is crazy, really has dine some awesome and unique pieces.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I had to stop in and say how Gorgeous this sapphire and complete ring looks. That is a beautiful color for a sapphire. :love: :love: :love: :love: Size is magnificent too! show stopping, classic goodness :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Your ring set is so special; enjoy your new sapphire ring!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock

I love the story and sentiment behind this ring set. What a fabulous end result. Wear it in good health.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock

I just have to keep coming back and looking at it. So perfect!

woofmama

Ideal_Rock

So beautiful and very special! Your montana looks absolutely perfect in that setting :appl: Enjoy!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Spectacular!!! I love everything about it! :appl: :love:

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock

Phenomenal!!! :appl:

Lula

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous stone! Peter is great to work with. The setting really flatters the sapphire, too. I love the side view.

Nbiller

Rough_Rock

Thanks everyone!! All those compliments mean a lot from you guys, your collective knowledge of CS is amazing and was very helpful. Still can't believe how well it all turned out. I love walking around and seeing how the stone reacts in different lighting.

If anyone has Montana sapphire creations feel free to post them here... I'd love to see them!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results