shape
carat
color
clarity

My new jade ring from ebay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I won this jade ring on ebay, and it arrived today from England. This is the seller''s photo--I''ll take some myself in the daylight later on. Meanwhile, can anyone tell me anything about it?

The shank is gold, the top part platinum. It''s marked "E&W 18CT PLAT 357." It has four little single-cut diamonds bead-set beside the jade, which is held by 6 dainty double prongs. It''s a nice, bright green, slightly dappled with white, and a tiny bit translucent, but almost opaque. The jade is about 7 x 8 mm. The seller thought it was Edwardian or deco.

Any thoughts about the age, the quality of the jade, or anything else?

Also, it clearly needs a good cleaning, especially under the diamonds, which look impossible to reach with a toothbrush. I read another thread about jade that warns against using anything stronger than soap and water to clean it. Any advice about how to clean the diamonds without harming the jade? I''d love to soak it in ammonia and water, but I take it that''s not a good idea?

Thanks, everybody.

jadering1.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful, Glitterata....but I''ll wait ''til tomorrow for more closeup shots before I venture a guess about age
9.gif

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s just beautiful, and would take it to a jeweler to have a proper and safe cleaning.
2.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on your purchase! Very beautiful ring and I also love the cute box it came in!

I''m no expert on cleaning, maybe it would be best to take it to your jeweler.

Rube

Shiny_Rock
Oh! It''s beautiful! Send it to me and I''ll see if I can tell you any more about it.
2.gif

Can''t wait to see it cleaned up!
3.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice, Glitterata! I love it.
36.gif
36.gif
Can we see more pictures?

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty, can''t wait to see some closer pics and hand shots
30.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
glitterata - beautiful! can''t shed any light on the ring really, except to say I would agree with the seller, either edwardian or deco, I think jade was rather popular around those times.

and I would not soak it in ammonia, not really bc I have any particular justification really, but if you''re not sure, better not! I would stick w/soap and water with jade until yo ucan take it to a jeweler!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
I'm thinking Early Deco (circa 1920), with the "ct." marking confirming English origin. I wonder what the "357" indicates?

You don't have to be too careful with jade, it's pretty insensitive to most cleaning methods, but I'm no fan of ammonia. I would just go with dishsoap in warm water and a good toothbrushing.

Pretty color.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everybody. I''m really pleased with this ring. And what a bargain--I love ebay! Though it always makes me feel a tiny bit guilty, since you never know whether you might be buying stolen property or something awful like that.

I''ll post pictures soon, I promise. But maybe not TOO soon, because it''s been a very busy week at work and I keep getting home after the sun''s gone down.

I know that jade is tough--I''ve read about it being used for knife blades during the stone age, so it can''t be too fragile, right? But I also understand there are some treatments that could be hurt by rough cleaning methods, right?

The thing I like about ammonia, which I use on my diamonds, is the way it dissolves gunk in crevices too fine to fit a toothbrush. Well, I''ll try a good dishsoap-and-water soaking and see if it improves the sparkle.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Untreated jade ("A" jade) is very tough, and easily cleaned. It''s the "B", "C" & "D" categories of jade you have to be careful with. If your stone originates from the 20''s, it is most likely "A" jade.

An explanation from the Scott Kay website follows:

''A'' jade: natural, untreated jadeite jade. The only acceptable process after polishing is surface waxing with ordinary beeswax, to fill the stone''s natural (and microscopic) surface pores, as has been done for centuries. ''A'' jade is the good stuff. (That''s all we sell at Mason-Kay).

''B'' jade: bleached, polymer-impregnated jadeite jade. The chemical process to create ''B'' jade is described below. This is the bad stuff.

''C'' jade: dyed jade. Usually dyed green or lavender jade, but sometimes red or yellow as well. This is also bad stuff.

''D'' jade: bleached, dyed, polymer-impregnated jadeite jade. This is the worst stuff of all.

How is ''B'' jade made?

To make ''B'' jade one starts with a jade sample that is blemished with internal ''stains'' or spots; there may be visible ''grain boundaries'' or minor structural flaws. This is immersed in a powerful acid, such as sulfuric or hydrochloric acid. Sometimes the acid is heated to increase its strength; immersion can be repeated and last for several weeks. (The working fumes are quite toxic and this procedure is not without risk). The resulting stone has been changed: the sodium in the sodium silicate of jade''s structure has been leached out and the internal stains with them. (At this point, it could be said, one no longer has jadeite jade at all). The stone is then put into a neutralizing agent, after which a polymer is injected into the stone with the use of a centrifuge. At this stage the stone is entirely covered with a hard, clear plastic-like coating. Cutting and polishing are performed as they would be on any jade stone.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oh dear, sounds like some of those descriptions you read about how they process food, that make you never want to eat anything again that didn''t come out of your own garden.

How long have they been using that process, Rich? My mom and I have several other jade pieces from my grandmother and her sister, probably from the 30s to the 50s. Would that likely be A quality, or could it be B, C, or D?

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2005 12:23:56 AM
Author: glitterata

How long have they been using that process, Rich? My mom and I have several other jade pieces from my grandmother and her sister, probably from the 30s to the 50s. Would that likely be A quality, or could it be B, C, or D?

The "B" jade process originated in the late 70''s to early 80''s.

Dying ("C" jade) has been around a long time, but as a rule of thumb didn''t really become prevalent until the early 50''s.

I don''t take as harsh a view on the "B" jade as Mason-Kay does. It can be quite beautiful, and makes good looking jade available to people who couldn''t ordinarily afford it. As long as it is properly disclosed and people understand its limitations (ie, primarily not as tough as "A" jade), I have no problem with it.

The dyed stones can fade over a period of time, so I would avoid those.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No idea about quality or what not - all I see is a nice ring in a small picture
2.gif

My favorite sort of green jade comes close - it is not all that fancy: the white, mostly opaque material with bright green spots and veins sometimes called 'moss in snow' for obvious reasons. The stuff is not quite the fare of precious jewelry, really. I know what is valuable, but I am a fan of winter and moss-in-snow jade... regardless. For example:

JD-3912B.jpg
Tajikistan and the usual.

The picture you have posted doesn't show if this description fits the ring or not.

Aside this, some nearly transparent pastel jade is so strange, I always wanted some beads like this just out of curiosity.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I got impatient waiting for a chance to take photos in daylight, so here are some with the flash. First a hand picture, for size:

jadering5.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
And one shot with the ring perched on the end of a paintbrush.

The metal looks a little yellow in these pictures, but the top part is platinum. It''s cast, and not particularly carefully finished, but the overall effect is quite pretty I think.

jadering10.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
So, does it still look like it''s from 1920?

I love that moss-in-the-snow look too, Ana.

And I''d love to see other people''s jade, too. I know there must be some out there. Do any of you Chinese-American ladies have beautiful heirlooms, for example?

leggs

Shiny_Rock
While on the jade topic, I have been interested in buying 10x8 piece for the perfect setting. After seeing Richard''s stats on Jade I was wondering where fake jade that is actually green quartz would fit into this list. Do you think the quartz would look better or be hard enough for a ring rather than C or D Jade. As usual I have this enormous appetite for all these gorgeous gems and my plate is full so I would like to know what you think would be the best way to go fake jade.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2005 8:46:20 PM
Author: leggs
While on the jade topic, I have been interested in buying 10x8 piece for the perfect setting. After seeing Richard's stats on Jade I was wondering where fake jade that is actually green quartz would fit into this list. Do you think the quartz would look better or be hard enough for a ring rather than C or D Jade. As usual I have this enormous appetite for all these gorgeous gems and my plate is full so I would like to know what you think would be the best way to go fake jade.
That green quartz is colored too - so, perhaps died jade is better than died quartz. Otherwise, there allot of jade that looks rather nice without getting all that expensive. I don't know what other translucent stuff could be very green. Perhaps you'd get same jade that is light green like Chrysoprase or whatever, but then, if top color is not on target why not jade after all. Green agate is died to be jade-like green. Tourmaline could have the color but is too transparent and emerald.. is no less expensive anyway. Basically, I don't know anything that has the look of top quality green jade without the help of some enhancement.
38.gif

Just for fun: some years ago someone got me puzzled over a pair of translucent green cabs of metavariscite. I thought it is jade but they were simply too good to be true: honey like, and just a hair less green than fine jade. The material is about as common as solar eclipses (there will be one in a few hours here, He He
1.gif
) and soft (like opal). So, the conclusions still is - treated jade, IMO.

Never thought of it until now either just because opaque jadeite is not very expensive while still very nice. And not there is jadeite like that from other sources than Burma too.

JD-4107B.jpg
Bad?

leggs

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Ana , we can always count on you for a good reply, your always fun to read.The best thing for me to do is remember the gorgeous jade ring of my mother''s that I once wore and my sister lost grr...Being a Canadian I''ve seen tons of Canadian Jade and I definatly don''t want any of those,,remembering those tacky grass green chipped jade brooches and huge rings of the seventies.blah!!![
25.gif
25.gif
25.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/3/2005 12:04:44 AM
Author: leggs

Being a Canadian I've seen tons of Canadian Jade and I definatly don't want any of those

Wait a minute... Canadian jade is nephrite, no? Different story.

From your description it sounds like nothing else would really do because... it would not be jade.

Glad to write, as usual. Besides, the question is definitely interesting for someone who likes cabs, like myself
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results