shape
carat
color
clarity

My New Chameleon F(CD)amily Member!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
So I tried to take a picture of the colour change, but being inept - I couldn't get the yellow in time. So all i got was its final green colour...

Oh well. Hope you all still want to see him!

Chameleon alone.JPG

In the box.JPG

Family shot.JPG

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I'm also going into the final phase of my plans to make the pink diamond (seen in these pics) engagement ring and i would really love the assistance of all you talented and creative PS coloured stones experts.

Seriously, the opportunity to tap into your collective experience with coloured stones will be invaluable when setting this little pink gem. I'm going to post it in Rocky Talky though, just to get the eyeballs of more people who have experience with diamond setting too, so I hope you'll be able to come by and help.

Many thanks in advance!

Specs of the Chameleon:
0.56ct
Chameleon!
Erm, I think that's it. Oh, it has a beautiful orangy neon fluor as well. So sorry about the crappy photos :blackeye:

The neon pink/orange one is the chameleon, the center one is the pink FCD, which is supposed to be a strong blue, but looks bluish white to my eyes.

Fluor.JPG

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Lovely, Tristan. I am really attracted to the idea of getting a chameleon - have been keeping an eye out, but my "to buy" list just keeps getting longer and longer! :wink2:

I think VC is a great choice for your pink. I'm afraid I have absolutely no ideas for setting though. I'm awful with visualizing final products - probably why every stone except my engagement diamond remains unset!

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ginger :wavey: You really should get one! It is still cheap as far as FCDs, and the nice ones are really quite rare.

I swear, I see more pinks than good chameleons. Although, most of the pinks I see aren't that great too but... (everything for a price, and a price for everything!)

FCDs are ridiculously hard to photograph, but chameleons are much more so. If you had one you would love it! The colour play and depth is amazing, and watching them transform is really cool! These were taken with an iphone camera, cos my DSLR which I'm shite with is too complex to correct the white balance and I keep getting odd exposures. Sigh.

Thanks for participating, even if you have no ideas for the ering :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great pics; if not for the pink being already slated for the ring, I would have suggested a 3 stone drop pendant. :tongue:

As for the pink, I presume you are going for the solitaire look? Some diamond accents? Prong or bezel set? Antique inspired, modern, contemporary, organic or what sort of feel are you trying to achieve?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
See? Great questions.

either solitaire with tapered baguettes and then baguettes going around the entire ring

OR

3 stone with pear sides or bullet sides. I'm leaning towards a 3 stone slightly.

I don't know if i'll embellish the 3 stone to make it look more vintage, or keep it simple or have pave/micropave

I'm aiming for either a modern/classic look, or a 'vintage' inspired piece because VC can pull it off. The only organic element would be if somehow it could have the two sidestones set like petals, as the only thing my gf likes is a flower so if that was possible to incorporate in a subtle way that could be nice. But it isn't necessary as I don't want too many elements cluttering the ring.

It should be an ering. it should focus on the pink center. It should look classy and understated.

Hehehe, drop pendant with a CZ and 2 FCDs? That'll be a first!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cool chameleon. What are the specs on the pink?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Very very cool! I am still a fan of that pink set with D colored sides like the Pips backing up Gladys Knight.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the chameleon! I adore mine but I think they're an acquired taste and they don't seem to attract many people - although I don't know why!

Does your FI like understated rings or something a bit more showy? The reason I'm asking is that it makes a huge difference to setting suggestions. Also, I think that the pink is about 4 or 5mm is that correct? If so, then you run the risk of it being overpowered if you get the wrong size side stones. How about setting it in pink gold and surrounding with a white diamond halo to give it a "bigger" look and make the pink pop?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmm, I love your new diamond. :love:

I want a chameleon too, but where would I position it in the rainbow? :lol:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
@TL: Fancy Purplish Pink, 0.53ct Round Brilliant, VS2, VG Polish, G Symmetry, I think its 54% crown, 61.9% depth, with strong blue fluor.

@Kelpie: Thanks for your unwaning support and enthusiasm! :) I'm leaning towards a tapered bullet 3 stone at this point, so your preferred setting choice might see the light of day!

@LD: Thanks! The Chameleon is camera shy. It looks so much more intense green in person, and it has a cool fancy intense yellow colour (at most it would be a Intense (lowercase) brownish yellow diamond when it comes out from the dark. It turns slowly olive then this beautiful green. Lovely. I love it almost as much as the Pink! And it costs far less. The Fluor is cooler than the pink's too! Neon orange is really nice. Would be lovely in a club. hehe.

She definitely likes classy/understated pieces, not showy or large (else I'd never get away with a pink, she would hit me and ask for an exchange for a 2.5ct round). For some reason, I am staying away from Halos even though everyone says to halo it... I've seen the Halos on Leibish and I just don't like them. Luckily she doesn't enjoy the look of halos as well. Though I must admit she's never seen a LM/VC halo.

@Kenny: Ah, on PS an FCD purchase wouldn't feel complete without your stamp of approval :lol: I really love it. I think if you found one with a very big contrasting colour change, and some crazy fluor different from the base colour, you'd love it to death. You can swing for a particularly fine example too, at the upper edge in terms of size for your rainbow. Keep a few empty slots, then depending on light and time of day, shuffle it around :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results