shape
carat
color
clarity

My first mandarin spess garnet - please comment

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
You should do what makes you happy. If the colors look good to you, go for it! I like the example ring, it is bright and happy. Not sure I could carry it off, but lots of people could.

Laura

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly - I feel that the spess. alone is so beautiful that two pink stones on the sides will distract attention from it. I know that combining bold colors is popular these days (and I am not talking about the dress), but I'd push the spess. without pink stones. Maybe white topazes could look fine, or very small (almost pave) light-green demantoids, but the beautiful orange color may be "lost" if sided by two other beautiful colors. It is just my opinion, but you have great taste and all your rings are amazing so I am positive it will turn out fine.

empress

Shiny_Rock
I'd put the deeper pinks closest to the orange. Yummy !

Great stones and terrific color sense. IMHO. :wink2:

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone for your input. I am far from a decision about how to set the spess. Incorporating the pink spinels is just one possibility. I may or may not do it depending on what I can come up with. I played around with Photoshop and images that I have saved from here and there. The first one is actually a 18K yellow gold Jose Hess mounting that I bought over 20 years ago for my first upgrade diamond. Jose Hess was quite popular at that time adn some of you may know who he is. Not sure if he is still in business. The diamond was 2.65 carat and measured ~8.8mm. I didn't like how the diamond looked in it and had it reset in another mounting. At that time, I bought a cheap sapphire and set it in the Jose Hess mounting. I haven't worn the ring for ages. I think the spess may actually look nice in it. I don't have the exact measurements of the stone, but it is approximately 8.6 x 8.8 mm, but probably deeper by 1mm or so. The only concern is the shape of the pavilion is not the same as the diamond and the stone may not fit. I do not have a picture of the spess in side view, so what you see is the original diamond with color changed by fiddling with Photoshop.

Jose-hess-ring_spess2s.jpg

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Second version is an attempt to incorporate a pair of pink spinel. I found the original ring in Liser Elser's website.

Spess_spinel1.jpg

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
3rd version is using white diamond pave and brown diamond pave in blackened metal. The color of the stone is Photoshopped.

Spess_pave.jpg

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
4th version is the spess and spinels overlaid on a LM split shank ring. This does not look as good as I had envisioned. I thnk I like version 1 and 2. Version 1, if the mounting fits, would be the cheapest since I already have the mounting. I may add some scattered embedded little round diamonds (forgot the correct term) to update the look. For version 2, I would prefer the stone set lower and the gold lighter weight.

Spess_spinel split shank.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN,
I have to agree with your assessment; V1 is the nicest if the setting is able to accommodate the depth. My second choice is V2 but have the metal work a little less chunky.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono,
NOW I remember where I paired two warm colors, my pink spinel and my yellow diamond. Most people didn't like it, but it gave me some ideas here.

AN,
Do you think perhaps some yellow diamonds flanked on the side? I must admit the champagne diamond ring above intrigues me. Is there a face on view of it? I personally will never like orange and pink together, but if you like them together, don't listen to me. :))

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of the Leon the best but I think the platinum is too cold. I would like it better in yellow gold.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for the constructive feedback.
Chrono: I have to bring my Jose Hess mounting to a jeweler to find out if it's even possible to use the setting. This was aJose Hess signature setting at the time. I paid $500 for it, which was not cheap at the time. It's quite heavy. I wonder what the gold is worth now? There was a more expensive version with baguette diamonds going down the inside split.
TL: I found that brown diamond pave ring saved on my computer. Can't remember where it came from. May be Le Vian. I will try to see if there is a front view. It reminds me a little of the expensive Rodney Rayner settings.
Kismet: I did a sloppy Photoshop job with the LM ring. Perhaps that's why it doe not look so good to me. I will try to change the metal color in Photoshop to see if that looks better. Wonder if the stone will look good in rose gold. I am hesitant to use rose gold because it can bring some brown to the stone when there isn't any.

AN

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results