shape
carat
color
clarity

My First Loose Stone Purchase - Blue Sapphire

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Hi there everyone! :hand: I’ve been lurking and finally have mustered the courage to post. The knowledge and help you all impart to members is extraordinary, and so I thought I’d throw my hat into the ring and see if you all would be willing to offer your opinions on a sapphire I just received.

I don’t know much about colored stones (or any gem) beyond what looks pretty to me, so please forgive a newbie for my ignorance! I’ve been reading here about color, cuts, windowing, tilt windows, zoning, shadows, etc., and it’s been quite informative, though I believe it’s through experience that these concepts become more clear to someone new to it like myself. You all have a wealth of experience and knowledge here - it’s impressive!

I’m looking for a very good quality sapphire for a white gold setting, with many pave diamond accents on the band and around the center stone (prong) - it’s a custom setting. I know that pave diamonds come with risk and require extra care and caution, but it’s just so darn beautiful I’m willing to take the extra care. I need the perfect sapphire to be the showcase and stand out amongst the diamonds, and that’s where I could use your help.

I came across a lot of discussion and pictures of Richard Homer stones, and I must say that I’m drawn to his unique and beautiful concave cut that seems to make stones glow with such brilliance. I couldn’t help myself, and so I contacted Richard, who for anyone else that’s new and reading, is a consummate and patient professional who has educated me quite a bit. Seriously, he’s the nicest guy you could ever want to deal with your first time out (or any time!)- he really knows his craft and I truly believe he’s the absolute best at what he does. This guy is an artist, and it’s very clear he adores what he does - if only we could all love our work that much!

Anyway, I received a 6.4mm round stone of his yesterday and boy oh boy do pictures NOT do these stones justice! They are so much more beautiful in person - they simply glimmer and shine like you wouldn’t believe, and that’s something I’ve rarely seen in sapphires (at least the ones I’ve seen, which are probably mostly commercial grade now that I know a *bit* more). I think I will be going back to Richard for other beauties in the near future, and I'm confident a new obsession has been born.

I truly am in love with it’s soft glow, and it looks particularly good under fluorescent lighting believe it or not. My only *slight* concern is in the bright outdoors, where it takes on more of a pastel blue color. Is it common to have such a wide spectrum of color differences in different lighting? I tend to prefer medium-to-dark sapphires, with a leaning towards the darker rather than the lighter. Having said that, I’ve seen many sapphires that have a great rich color in certain lighting, but go really dead in most others (almost black) - and I wanted to avoid that as best as possible. I want something with character and presence, and this stone certainly has that in spades!

I can say that this stone has no dead spots and is always lively and brilliant, has no grey tones, no windowing or zoning, no extinction…and in nearly every condition the color is absolutely STUNNING. In some lighting it even has a slight violet edge that is truly remarkable and beautiful.

I’d be anxious to hear what you all think, though please do forgive my horrible pictures. I would have never guessed the difficulty in capturing the beauty of these tiny little gems with a camera - hats off to photographers everywhere!

Here's an indoor shot under LED lighting in my hand (yowza!):
indoors_hand_0.jpg

Here's an indoor evening shot, with only a little light coming through the window:
my_rh_sapphire_cropped.jpg

Here's a morning indoor shot in indirect lighting from the window (OMG!):
indoor_indirectlight_0.jpg

Here's a morning shot, outside but in the shade:
outdoors_shade.jpg

And here's a morning shot, outdoors in the sunlight where it goes pastel:
outdoors_morning.jpg

I'm anxious to hear your thoughts! Thanks everyone!

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Hi indigoblue! Thank you for responding!

I plan to set it in an engagement ring, white gold with pave diamond band and a kind of halo, and I'm a tad worried that this stone may be a bit too light? I think I'm struggling with what I had originally pictured in my mind before I started my search (a deep blue sapphire that would offer great contrast against white gold) vs. this truly stunning lighter sapphire, that has it's darker more soft glowing moments. I adore the cut of this stone without hesitation as it's nothing like I've ever seen, but again, I'm struggling with reconciling those tremendous benefits against the more traditional deeper colors. I think this stone looks great in most any lighting, while a darker one could lose brilliance and have dead spots, but in certain lighting would have a richer tone.

Seems there's always tradeoffs and I guess I'm just nervous since this is my first time. You all have more experience here, and any insights you have would be greatly appreciated!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Normally I don't like concave cutting but R. Homer cuts awesome gems and this one is no exception!!!

:appl: :appl: :appl:

First purchase and such a beauty!!

Well done!!!

The color is absolutely o.k.!! Not to dark - well balanced!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone, thanks for sharing! :love:

I am a fan of concave faceting and RH's stones are lovely, hopefully, one day, I shall have the opportunity to get one myself, like the square Amethyst that I have been eyeing for some time.

DK :))

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Thanks Marlow for your thoughts on color with a white gold setting. I'm hoping that with the color I've come close to hitting the best of both worlds - maximizing brilliance and sparkle, while retaining some richness in color. "Balance" as you say, is exactly what I was going for, so thank you for saying so! :dance:

dk168 - thank you for your kind thoughts! I certainly hope you are able to get the one you love one day as well - they are so darn pretty! =)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful stone with a very nice color. It will shine in a nice setting.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is very pretty and will look great in white gold. Congrats on your first purchase!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMO, it's better to have a stone that lightens up than one that blacks out in direct sun. Personal choice is yours, but that is a gorgeous stone/cut/color(s)!!

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Awww, thanks you guys! Acinom & kgizo I’m glad to see you think so. I love white gold and sapphire mix, throw in some diamonds and it’ s perfection! And LoversKites, thank you so much for your kind thoughts as well!

digdeep You may just be right about that! Richard is such a kind-hearted soul, he’s sending me a darker-toned one so that I may compare. I’ll get to test your theory out first hand, AND see the beauty of yet another stone! I'll post more pictures once I get it, which should be mid-week.

I’m telling you, this could be a VERY dangerous hobby to have, and I fear I’m already there! The blue topaz snowflake he has is gorgeous too….EEK! I’ll need a few more jobs to pay for this habit!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
It's really really beautiful and in my opinion the colour is fantastic. Of course colour is a very personal thing but I don't think its too light/pastel at all! :love:

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
BaileyC|1425146733|3839778 said:
Hi indigoblue! Thank you for responding!

I plan to set it in an engagement ring, white gold with pave diamond band and a kind of halo, and I'm a tad worried that this stone may be a bit too light? I think I'm struggling with what I had originally pictured in my mind before I started my search (a deep blue sapphire that would offer great contrast against white gold) vs. this truly stunning lighter sapphire, that has it's darker more soft glowing moments. I adore the cut of this stone without hesitation as it's nothing like I've ever seen, but again, I'm struggling with reconciling those tremendous benefits against the more traditional deeper colors. I think this stone looks great in most any lighting, while a darker one could lose brilliance and have dead spots, but in certain lighting would have a richer tone.

Seems there's always tradeoffs and I guess I'm just nervous since this is my first time. You all have more experience here, and any insights you have would be greatly appreciated!

In my limited experience, stones darken once they're set. This one might turn out to be the perfect color once it is in the setting and surrounded by some bling.

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Thank you ricezo for your thoughts as they are greatly appreciated! Moral support on a large purchase such as this, particularly when one has zero experience in it, is very helpful in keeping one's nerves in check. :D

indigoblue|1425240319|3840320 said:
In my limited experience, stones darken once they're set. This one might turn out to be the perfect color once it is in the setting and surrounded by some bling.

Really? Wow - does that happen often and with all stones, or just darker more richer ones? And in your experience, how much can one expect a stone to darken?

Richard is sending another, darker stone for me to compare this one to and it should arrive next week. I will keep that in mind when I'm making a decision on which way to go, and I'll certainly post pictures of the other option once I receive it! Thanks indigoblue!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP,

This thread prompted me to take the plunge with RH's square amethyst, and it should be mine at the end of April 2015 - thank you Richard in case you are following this thread! :bigsmile:

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
dk168|1425254716|3840451 said:
OP,

This thread prompted me to take the plunge with RH's square amethyst, and it should be mine at the end of April 2015 - thank you Richard in case you are following this thread! :bigsmile:

Congratulations!!!! I'm so excited for you - please post pictures when you get it so that we can all drool over it! :appl:

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
wow I never new a blue sapphire can have such depth and glow to it. gorgeous! :clap:

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
Oh forgot to say. I think the color is perfect too. I love the glow it has coming out from the cut. I think will be very pretty in setting and can't wait to see. Now I am more educator on this type of sapphire thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the stone might turn out to be the right one once it is set. Have you had the chance to place it temporarily (sit atop) into a halo setting yet to see the effect?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My indication that its a keeper for you? That you've made it your avatar photo! :bigsmile:

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1425317703|3840770 said:
My indication that its a keeper for you? That you've made it your avatar photo! :bigsmile:
Hee - I'm new and felt like I needed an avatar. Everyone has beautiful stones and such for theirs, so I thought I'd use it temporarily until I make a final decision. :lol:

chrono, I should get the setting soon, along with a second, darker option of a stone and then I'll do exactly that to help make my decision. Seeing is believing, right? :D

Thanks Victoria10! It does have a glowy quality to it that I'm in love with. Kind of an iridescent-type flavor that makes it unlike other sapphires I've seen. I'll take a look at the darker option on the way and make a final determination (with everyone's help :tongue: ). Of course, the risk is that I'll want to keep both! :shifty:

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone!

OK, so the second option stone arrived, and I would like to see what you all think about the choices. The first option you've seen in the original post, but here's a picture of them side by side - both are Richard Homer stones with slightly different tones and saturations. The one on the right is 1/2mm bigger, but I'm not concerned really with weight or size as they will fit the setting - just color. What do you think - Left one or Right one?

Indoors, under fluorescent lighting:
saphcomparison_cropped_0.jpg

Hand shot, indoors:
sapphcomparison_hand_cropped.jpg

Gosh, the pictures I took are horrible-they really don't do these stones justice!

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
I don't think I read the first part to well. Didn't realize setting diamonds was for halo. I like the new second one because still has that signature glow but might provide better contrast. Of course if have setting that would help a lot to show both next to it. Gorgeous stones btw can't go wrong

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
One on the left for me. As you can see I have an RH sapphire myself. It's a 5.2ct unheated Burmese.

BaileyC

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the votes everyone!!! Looks like Leftie is in the lead! =)

I do wish I could get better pictures of these - it's so hard to capture the beauty of these stones with a camera!

I will finally get to see my setting soon Victoria10, and perhaps sitting each inside will indeed help me to choose! In fact, I think it will!

BTW- what a GORGEOUS stone MJO - Yowza!!! :love:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Left one. The right one is dark, and looks like it has a green modifier.

Victoria10

Shiny_Rock
Your right didn't notice slight green hue. I'm voting left to now. That's good in all lights it seems

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Left.
And I really think going and seeing the stone in a halo is the best idea, I think it'll put your concerns to rest

Lovely sapphire I love his stones.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results