shape
carat
color
clarity

My first loose colored gem purchase

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
My first loose stone purchase ever is this lovely princess tourmaline by Gary Finewater. She sparkles like mad. I am so excited! I will add IRL photos later but she matches the photo perfectly.

My question is what kind of setting. This isn't a conventional princess cut as there is no pointed culet but rather it's more like an emerald cut in that the culet is longer. I am thinking of setting the culet NS versus EW in a WG pendant, but I don't know if I can get a semimount setting like a LOGR because of the culet. It's 7.5 x 7.5 and I haven't seen LOGRs in princess shapes for that size.

Also, how much give is there - for example if the LOGR is for a 8x8, is that too big?

I've also looked at Sally's elixir - anyone have that setting in IRL?

Ideas welcomed and appreciated.

finewaterprincess.jpg

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t answer your questions but just wanted to say that is a very pretty stone! I remember seeing that on Gary''s website.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone is very beautiful! would love to see your IRL photo shoot. As for the setting if you have Chevron prongs/Vee prongs it has to be pretty exact as I had purchased a 7x7 for a 6.5ish stone, and had to return it since my jeweler said that my stone was too small for the setting. If it was a standard prongs, then I believe there is more leeway

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, that makes sense for v prongs since there is less to bend over the stone.

I looked at Stuller and it seems like the largest pendent settings that I liked go to 7x7. And I can''t figure out where the pendant settings section on the Adwar site are.

If I don''t have to go custom, it''d be nice cos I could get this baby set sooner. Whereas with custom, it''s hard to make up my mind.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/5/2009 3:52:17 PM
Author: litebrite
Thanks, that makes sense for v prongs since there is less to bend over the stone.

I looked at Stuller and it seems like the largest pendent settings that I liked go to 7x7. And I can't figure out where the pendant settings section on the Adwar site are.

If I don't have to go custom, it'd be nice cos I could get this baby set sooner. Whereas with custom, it's hard to make up my mind.
yeah, the adwar site is not user friendly or picture friendly for pendants, I've bought from Tripps before...

here is one. if it doesn't work out, Its easy to exchange or refun, I was able to exchange even after their window. its not the best finish, but your local jeweler could high polish it out.
http://www.pickyourjewelry.com/index.php?p=product&id=40467&parent=233

http://www.pickyourjewelry.com/index.php?p=product&id=40341&parent=231

ETA: I'd be nervous chipping with the second setting due to the tips being so exposed

trippssquarependant0809.JPG

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2009 3:52:17 PM
Author: litebrite

I looked at Stuller and it seems like the largest pendent settings that I liked go to 7x7. And I can''t figure out where the pendant settings section on the Adwar site are.

If I don''t have to go custom, it''d be nice cos I could get this baby set sooner. Whereas with custom, it''s hard to make up my mind.
Just wanted to say that on the Adwar site, click on "charms", then you can narrow the search by clicking on the specific shape. Hope this makes sense. Lovely stone, by the way!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you know how long the keel is? I actually prefer to set the stone with the keel EW based on the facet pattern. A culet is when it comes to a point. An elongated tip is called a keel. I think it should fit into a standard princess cut setting and I would feel safer to have it set with chevron prongs to protect the tips of the tourmaline.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would think an 8x8 LOGR would fit it fine.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Esmee has an Elixir if you're still considering that. It's in the "show us your lotus" thread in SMTR. I will most likely be setting my periwinkle spinel in an Elixir in the next few months; stay tuned!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone.

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Cellentani, I would like to protect the tips because I already dinged the stone upon opening (not super noticeable, and it fell on tile floors.) So yes, this klutz needs all the protection she can get. But most V tips tend to be 6x6 not half mms.

That''s why I was thinking pendant though my friend who introduced me to PS thinks it''d be a rockin RHR because it has nice finger coverage. If I got a pendant, would it be ok with prongs?

D& t, thanks for the Adwar and Tripps tips. I really like the diagonal set Tripps but unfortunately due to the keel (thanks Chrono!) I think it''d look weird diagonal:

I''m currently thinking about the following Adwar:
asscher shaped halo
rope square pendant

and Heart of Water settings:
Elixir
christie

I have to say my favorite setting ever for a square is platinumsmith

dc sparkles

Rough_Rock
Hi litebrite, that''s beautiful stone! I do have an Elixir ring, and will be getting another stone set in a month or so. Both of the stones have clipped corners though - you''d have to talk to Sally about the prongs, but I''m sure she would work it out with you. Another thing you may want to consider is a square lotus setting; I''ve talked with her about that, but it hasn''t become a project yet. I love that platinumsmith setting too!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty stone.

I can''t speak for the LOGR settings because I don''t have one. But I am working with Sally, and I know she can modify her rings. I am having a ring that she makes changed from a prong to a bezel setting and having the profile lowered. I am sure she could work with you to modify the Elixir for you stone (if it even needed to be changed).

I can''t wait to see what you end up doing!

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
You can see the cutting and the facets here. Sorry about the dust, I need to clean her. Does Dove soap + water work for tourms?

IMG_2072closeup.jpg

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Oops, sorry for the last pic, didn''t mean for it to come out so huge. Here''s one with yellow gold, trying to decide what color looks best.

IMG_2087officeYG.jpg

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
Here''s one with my WG oval emerald bezel ring. You can see two greens in the photo. I thought I would prefer the WG but the YG is quite nice. Although I''m not sure how it would look with 14k YG.

IMG_2105officeWG.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow gold gives it a softer look because it brings out the yellow undertone. With the white gold, it has more contrast and looks a little more “muddy”.

QueenB29

Shiny_Rock
I think the YG looks great with it but it really depends on how much you wear YG versus WG. I almost never do, so I would end up never wearing the pendant that way.
5.gif
You could always do a double bezel with YG touching the stone, and WG on the outside. That would be really pretty and really versatile. I think I saw a round peridot set like that on here recently...I don''t remember which PSer it was, but she had it set by someone on Etsy.....
1.gif

litebrite

Shiny_Rock
I have this project on hold while I am getting some new stones in - have to do a wedding present for a friend. Plus I haven''t found anything that I think is quite right yet. Also wanted to add that the stone is not very olive in real life, my camera overcompensates with yellow. Apologies to Gary, his stone is better looking than I can make it look.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results