shape
carat
color
clarity

my first colored stone purchase with pics!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
i got very frustrated waiting for my engagement ring project so i couldnt resist buying some colored stones.

i bought a round montana sapphire, 1.32ct vs and a trillion imperial malaya garnet 1.91ct, vvs2. Dana from master cut gems threw in a pair of ... actually i cant read his writing! but the pair of yellow stones is 1.25tcw, vvs2/vs1 it does say from tanzania.

when they first arrived i wasn't so sure about them because they weren't as bright as i wanted. now i LOVE the trillion garnet and am still a bit iffy on the sapphire.

first photos are dana's photos and anything on a feminine hand with pink nail polish are mine :razz:

now I'm brainstorming setting ideas for the trillion

dana_garnet.jpeg

dana_garnet2.jpeg

dana_sapphire.jpeg

dana_sapphire2.jpeg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your first purchase and particularly because you're so in love with the garnet. To me it looks to be a slightly dusky colour but very appealing nonetheless. I also like the Montana - are the hands shots for both what you see?

Do you have any inspiration photos for the trillion setting?

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
some handshots. i was gonna post like 10 but i think these 2 sum it up pretty well. the trillions probably not everyones taste but its mysterious and reminds me of velvet :)

not sure of settings ideas yet for either. probably set the trillion first

img_0072.jpg

img_0074.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not too shabby at all for a first purchase. I take it these are keepers in your book? :naughty:

What do you mean by the trillion isn't to everyone's taste? Is it because of the colour or the shape? If the shape, it's because there is a lack of feminine and delicate designs for trillions but it is out there.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Just voted for president but always have time to say, what a glowing, soft garnet. I can see why you love it!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stones! Is the color IRL fairly the same as the pictures?

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your first colored stone purchase! Yes, I like the garnet too. It's kind of rosy. But I like the teal color of the sapphire too. It's unique.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I quite like the sapphire's color. They are all lovely though.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I love that sapphire color!!

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
Your Montana sapphire is very beautiful and your photos make it look stunning. Will you be setting it in a ring? How? Any ideas? I'd love to see what you do with it.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am particularly loving the sapphire, but all are pretty! Certainly not a bad first CS purchase, if you ask me! :) :appl: :appl:

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Those are all really nice! I'm partial to the Montana (of course), but the trillion is a really nice color and cut, too!

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! I was torn at first about the sapphire as it wasn't as bright as i was hoping but i decided to keep both. the color is gorgeous and both look exactly as seen in my pictures but that was catching them in the best lighting conditions and while the garnet is quite lively the sapphire has to have the right lighting to light up. the sapphire actually looked dark green when i first opened it but has been blue/green ever since. I'm still not quite sure what the yellow stones are. I'll have to try again the decipher the handwriting :)

I'm torn between doing something geometic with the trillion because the shape lends itself to geometric designs but its not really my style. i'm much more drawn to antique and natural flowing designs. I'm sketching something now and might start a seperate thread when I have a better idea

i just bought this peridot too! i love peridot and its my favourite cut. Barry describes it as really bright so i can't wait to see it. for $143 why not?

acsstones_peridot.jpeg

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
my sapphire has a bit of a color change! i thought i had imagined it being green when i first opened it since its been much more blue with a bit of green ever since. but i was just looking at it in indoor lighting and now its forest green!!! no blue modifier at all. I'm trying to capture it on camera but its just happening for me. probably not a massive change from blue/green to forest green but very surprising.

and someone told dana i couldn't work out what the yellows were and he has emailed me that they are tanzanian tourmalines. mystery solved

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I love all your stones in the hand shots - you obviously have a very good eye. Beautiful, beautiful colours! Well done (and a verrrry nice gift!)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Great haul with your first purchases! I'm crazy about the Montana as photographed -- interested to see its color shift too, know that's hard to catch on camera. The trillion is really pretty -- I have a special liking for that slightly cinnamon-y color, somehow a little more tart than plain pink & more interesting. The peridot is a knockout & I can see the yellows as neat earrings.

It will be fun to see what you come up with as setting for the trillion -- one reason that's not my favorite shape is that it's hard to do gracefully & I too like more flowing lines in a setting. Also the Montana -- wow, that would be a gas to wear!

--- Laurie

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
The trillion can always be set in a very simple setting if you don't want to do anything fancy.

ChrisA222

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think you have an eye for sort-of unusual colors/unusual stones. I think thats great, and refreshing. That Montana Sapphire and the Garnet are both pretty unique..and definately not the "norm" when someone thinks of "Sapphire" or "Garnet". Very nice.

The Peridot also looks somewhat unusual..it looks deeper than typical Peridot...more lime green as opposed to apple-green. I like that. If Barry says its bright...then it should be beautiful.

The Yellow Tourmalines are pretty unusual too for Tourmaline. The Greens and Pinks are a lot more common, as is the yellow-browns (Dravites). I have a Yellow Tourmaline thats East-African (but not sure of specific origin) and its very brilliant/dispersive and looks much more like a garnet than what you normally see with Tourmaline.

Nice job!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
That sapphire color is exquisite!! Love the new peridot and its cut as well. My birthstone is peridot but I've always shied away from it because I haven't found any more intense colors I like, they are all that more yellow green! Can't wait to see what you do with these stones!! Hopefully they tide you over until your ering project has more headway :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooo!!! I was admiring the peridot! More pics when you get it please!

Kim Bruun

Shiny_Rock
Well done! All are beautifully cut and lovely in colour. The sapphire I find really interestinging - normally I don't like teal, but this one seems lively, with very little gray.

I wish my first colored stone purchases were that flawless! ;-)

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for all the compliments! I've spent years on here studying and perving on all the beauties so i think that has helped! I'm glad it has paid off! I have a few more pretties arriving this week or next so I'm very excited. i think the peridot will look nice in a simple pendant like this one but with a small bezel preferably just covering the girdle and completely open at the back

and i quite like this idea for the peridot trillion but with daintier white metal across the top and the sidestones nestled into the corner between the metal and the stone more if that makes sense

for the sapphire i'm torn. round stones just have too many options but i like the idea of have the set set within an infinity or celtic style knot. or like picture number 2 but with the metal wrapped around the stone possibly in a bezel... i like bezels...

thanks to the owners of these pretties for your inspiration :) i would quote you but I haven't got a record of who owns what

img_5551-3.jpeg

img_2938.jpeg

_t2ec16n__zue9s389zckbqpw_q8nbq__60_35.jpeg

images__1_.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the trillion sapphire belongs to MTG.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results