carat
color
clarity

My CS Year 2015

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1427021229|3850886 said:
Good choice to send it back. Will you be looking for a new one or put the money towards the aqua project?

Most likely to go towards the Amethyst project, as the Aqua should be done and dusted by the end of this month.

Trawling through Lang Antiques for setting inspirations for the Amethyst as I type. ;))

DK :bigsmile:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I needed a pick-me-up, and bought these two inexpensive stones from caratsgems. They are not on the list of vendors for reference, therefore, I am taking a slight gamble.

The first is a 11mm precision cut white topaz (it is a lot more sparkly in the video, and I shall compare the cut quality against my 10.1mm white topaz cut by Jeff White), and the second is a 12mm trillion concave cut blue topaz (it also looks very nice in the video, and I just could not resist):

caratsgems11mmwhitetopaz5_58ct_pc.jpg
caratsgems12mmbluetopaz6_65ct.jpg

I shall provide feedback on my purchases as soon as I have received the stones.

Update on the aqua ring, the stone has arrived and picked up by diamondmounts of eBay, and the ring should be with me next week.

DK :))

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
dk168|1428748884|3860307 said:
I needed a pick-me-up, and bought these two inexpensive stones from caratsgems. They are not on the list of vendors for reference, therefore, I am taking a slight gamble.

The first is a 11mm precision cut white topaz (it is a lot more sparkly in the video, and I shall compare the cut quality against my 10.1mm white topaz cut by Jeff White), and the second is a 12mm trillion concave cut blue topaz (it also looks very nice in the video, and I just could not resist):

I shall provide feedback on my purchases as soon as I have received the stones.

Update on the aqua ring, the stone has arrived and picked up by diamondmounts of eBay, and the ring should be with me next week.

I think topaz is underrated. Because it's common and inexpensive people have less desire for it, and in order to get a good blue colour treatment is needed. It's a pretty great gem overall. I'm awfully curious to read your comparison to Jeff's topaz.

DK, are you getting your aqua ring soon?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1428752849|3860320 said:
I think topaz is underrated. Because it's common and inexpensive people have less desire for it, and in order to get a good blue colour treatment is needed. It's a pretty great gem overall. I'm awfully curious to read your comparison to Jeff's topaz.

DK, are you getting your aqua ring soon?

Re: white topaz comparison, given the significant price difference between the two stones, it should be interesting.

When I saw how the blue topaz sparkles in the video, I just could not resist, and concur with you that there are very good and affordable blue topaz out there.

The aqua ring should be with me before the end of next week I hope, can't wait!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Your new purchases look very promising DK especially the concave cut topaz. Looking forward to more photos and hearing your review once you've received them. Do you have any setting ideas in mind if you choose to keep them?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1428755011|3860332 said:
Your new purchases look very promising DK especially the concave cut topaz. Looking forward to more photos and hearing your review once you've received them. Do you have any setting ideas in mind if you choose to keep them?

The white topaz may end up in a single stone bangle or a pendant.

As for the blue topaz, it will be a ring in something like this:

flowerring_1.jpg
__12_1.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love love love that blue topaz!! And what a fabulous inspiration ring. Looking forward to see that one materialize.

And yay for the aqua ring!!!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Any updates on your Aqua ring DK? I can't wait to see it!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1429093588|3862118 said:

Is your aqua ring getting close indeed Dk? Looking forward to a huge homecoming and reveal.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ricezo, you have ESP!

It arrived today:
jdaquaring_02_0.jpg
jdaquaring_01.jpg

It is a nice ring, and I am happy with it. It is a good pick-me-up today, as I had some set back earlier this morning when my boiler was declared as unsafe after having forked out quite a bit of money to fix it in the past few days!

Therefore, no more jewellery for a while, and certainly no new tent for 2015! Nevermind. :rolleyes:

I shall enjoy wearing the ring in the office today.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1429100613|3862164 said:

Is your aqua ring getting close indeed Dk? Looking forward to a huge homecoming and reveal.

It's here! :bigsmile:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know what ESP means but if I get to see your ring then I like it!!

It's gorgeous and huge! I love the proportions of your ring and the diamonds definitely add oomph! It looks fabulous on you DK!! Yay!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring, I love emerald cuts!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay! Glorious homecoming. Beautiful setting and stone! It looks gorgeous on you DK!!
The proportions are fabulous.

But you cannot leave us hanging here with only 2 photo's DK :naughty:

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Agreed! More photos please DK!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ricezo|1429101118|3862171 said:
I don't know what ESP means but if I get to see your ring then I like it!!

It's gorgeous and huge! I love the proportions of your ring and the diamonds definitely add oomph! It looks fabulous on you DK!! Yay!!

ESP = Extra Sensory Perception. :bigsmile:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
That looks lovely on you DK.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for your kind words.

I tried taking some more photos tonight, however, they all turned out to be fuzzy. :rolleyes:

Shall try harder tomorrow. :))

I did take a couple pics to compare the thickness of the shank at the bottom of the ring next to my platinum EC semi-mount made by the same vendor, as they are supposed to be same at 1.2mm thick. However, it should be evident in the pics that the Aqua is thinner.

shankcomparison_01s.jpg
shankcomparison_02s.jpg

It is still a nice ring, however, I am somewhat disappointed that the shank is not thicker as expected. I have made the vendor aware of my findings.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
dk168|1428756153|3860343 said:
ricezo|1428755011|3860332 said:

The white topaz may end up in a single stone bangle or a pendant.

As for the blue topaz, it will be a ring in something like this:

flowerring_1.jpg
__12_1.jpg

That's my favorite setting for a trillion.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry the shank isn't as thick as you expected - are you okay with it or will you ask the vendor to fix it?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the new setting and I agree that the thinness of the shank is troubling.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shan't go into details, however, there is another issue with the ring, and I have only just made the vendor aware of the issue.

With all my imported purchases, I bought them with the expectation that the transaction would be one-way, as it would be too much hassle to try and return the goods than it is worth etc....

Therefore, I shall live with it, as it looks fine at the top.

One thing for certain - I would like a larger stone in similar cut and colour, to make a bigger ring in the same setting design, so that it can be worn for more formal events where blings are appreciated!!! :bigsmile:

I really love the icy blue colour of the Aqua, hopefully, I shall be able to find a bigger one later, or I would ask one of the precision cutters to cut me one.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1429186633|3862812 said:
I shan't go into details, however, there is another issue with the ring, and I have only just made the vendor aware of the issue.

With all my imported purchases, I bought them with the expectation that the transaction would be one-way, as it would be too much hassle to try and return the goods than it is worth etc....

Therefore, I shall live with it, as it looks fine at the top.

One thing for certain - I would like a larger stone in similar cut and colour, to make a bigger ring in the same setting design, so that it can be worn for more formal events where blings are appreciated!!! :bigsmile:

I really love the icy blue colour of the Aqua, hopefully, I shall be able to find a bigger one later, or I would ask one of the precision cutters to cut me one.

Sorry to hear about the second issue. Is it also something you can live with or can it be corrected by a local jeweler.
I find this stone size perfect for you as the side stones and tapered shank creates quite some oomph!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1429187147|3862821 said:
Sorry to hear about the second issue. Is it also something you can live with or can it be corrected by a local jeweler.
I find this stone size perfect for you as the side stones and tapered shank creates quite some oomph!

Unlikely, as it would involving making a new ring. I can live with the issue though.

The ring as it is, is perfect for work wear, however, I would dearly love a bigger stone and ring with bigger side stones for more oomph! :bigsmile:

Thanks for the kind words btw.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
DK. I am sorry the ring has a couple of issues. I hope that over time the beauty of the stone and ring will be all you see. I think it is truly lovely.

I am really curious about how your white topaz stacks up against Jeff's stone, and I really love that blue topaz and the setting you have chosen.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seems you are not absolutely thrilled. I do hope and expect that the ring will grow on you though. It's a beautiful ring and you rock it!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Issues resolved, and I shall consider the matter closed.

I like the ring as it is, it is lovely and I cannot stop looking at it when I am wearing it, not clever when I was driving home after work yesterday! :oops: :lol:

However, I wish the bottom part of the shank was made thicker as specified, as I am quite heavy handed and rough on my rings.

Since the ring is not going to be an every day piece, I can live with the thinner shank.

I am not used to wearing a ring on my left hand middle finger, and it is puffier than the RH middle finger. It feels better wearing it on my RH, however, it just feels a bit odd as I am used to wearing my small EC diamond east-west set in a heavy/chunky 5mm platinum band.

At the end of the day, I got what I paid for, and it is supposed to be an inexpensive setting afterall.

The white topaz and blue topaz have not arrived yet, hopefully they will arrive soon.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely ring, DK!! You can wear it more often than you would use a tent, right? [emoji16]

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1429225823|3863218 said:
Lovely ring, DK!! You can wear it more often than you would use a tent, right? [emoji16]

Indeed I can!

DK :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Coming back, hoping for more pics :naughty:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results