shape
carat
color
clarity

My Ceylon Sapphire Has Odd Facting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
Years ago, I purchased this purplish rose-ish violet Ceylon Sapphire. I''ve always thought the faceting was weird-looking and was hoping someone could tell me what type of faceting style it is? I think it looks like some type of sun burst pattern...? I think what makes it look odd is that open, space in the center where you can see the culet (I think that''s the right term? The bottom tip/point).

I made a collage style pic to show all angles of it, and then a handshot. It is a 1.20ct. I like the color, and will eventually have it set as a ring one day.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Can you make the hand shot bigger? It looks like you have a window, where you can see through the stone, and judging from the side views of your stone, you might also have some zoning (the lower portion of the stone, including the culet, looks almost colorless - don''t know if that''s true IRL)?

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/18/2009 9:09:43 PM
Author: cellentani
Can you make the hand shot bigger? It looks like you have a window, where you can see through the stone, and judging from the side views of your stone, you might also have some zoning (the lower portion of the stone, including the culet, looks almost colorless - don''t know if that''s true IRL)?
Here is a larger handshot.

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
And an upside down shot. Also, all single stone pics were photographed by me, where the sapphire was placed on a white dinner plate under an Ott light.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah that looks like a window. Don''t know about the faceting pattern, but I think it''s still a very pretty stone.

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
Is it normal for a stone to be cut with a window opening like that? Or, was my stone poorly cut?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cutting style looks reminiscent of a portugese cut with all the extra faceting.

It is not normal for a gemstone to have such a large window and this is attributed to a poor cut. It looks to be a shallow stone both in the crown and pavilion. The cutter is probably trying to save weight (and make it look larger) by cutting it as such.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice stone. Some PSers have found that the window is harder to see once the stone is set. Have you tried placing it in any settings to see how the change what you see?

Or maybe you just puzzled by it more than troubled.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The faceting pattern is a lot like the one on my padparadscha sapphire (see avatar).

I had close up pics posted as well. I think they called it a "flower cut".

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 12:49:44 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
Nice stone. Some PSers have found that the window is harder to see once the stone is set. Have you tried placing it in any settings to see how the change what you see?

Or maybe you just puzzled by it more than troubled.

Thanks! No, I haven''t seen it against a setting yet. Hopefully that would help reduce the look of the window. Any ideas for setting options which could minimize the window appearance?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bezel or halo, basically a more enclosed type setting, will minimize or "close" the window.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 4:09:06 PM
Author: septembergirl
Thanks! No, I haven't seen it against a setting yet. Hopefully that would help reduce the look of the window. Any ideas for setting options which could minimize the window appearance?
A setting that is closed underneath the stone, instead of open to the finger, will help minimize the window. Several people have had good luck with this particular LOGR setting:

Here's the link to the auction.

LOGR for window.jpg

septembergirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 7/21/2009 4:16:46 PM
Author: cellentani

Date: 7/21/2009 4:09:06 PM
Author: septembergirl
Thanks! No, I haven''t seen it against a setting yet. Hopefully that would help reduce the look of the window. Any ideas for setting options which could minimize the window appearance?
A setting that is closed underneath the stone, instead of open to the finger, will help minimize the window. Several people have had good luck with this particular LOGR setting:

Here''s the link to the auction.
It is a very pretty setting--thank you for providing a link
1.gif
-- the only drawback is that it looks too similar to my engagement ring and I want a different look for the sapphire.

I do have a good idea tho about the bottom portion and what to look for. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results