shape
carat
color
clarity

My BB malaya garnet

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I began collecting colored stones in February. I thought I would share this one first since I''ll be sending it to JKT next week to be set in a ring. It will be in either palladium (likely) or yellow gold with 1 green stone on either side of the garnet, possibly demantoid or peridot.

I got the stone from Barry in mid March. It''s 2.63 carats, 8.2 mm.

Here is Barry''s vendor pic.

GA-6165.jpg.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2010 10:50:06 PM
Author: cellentani
Oooooh, love the color! Hey, is that an open culet??!!

haha my eye went immediately to that too! The color is so pretty baby nurse! Looking forward to seeing the finished ring!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the light pink flashes I see in the sun-- I love it!

malaya in sun.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cropped this picture so that you could see the stone more easily... hopefully it worked.

Imported Photos 00028.JPG

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is how the stone usually looks, a mix of plum and melon.

Imported Photos 00038.JPG

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my gosh, I just noticed that (new to colored stones)! It may be, but it''s staying that way
28.gif

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2010 10:55:14 PM
Author: packrat

haha my eye went immediately to that too! The color is so pretty baby nurse! Looking forward to seeing the finished ring!

Thank you! I do love the color, and since it''s my first project, I''m especially excited
36.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour is gorgeous
30.gif
Can''t wait to see what you do with it!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

May I make a suggestion? Have you put your Malaya next to Palladium? Palladium tends to be slightly more grey looking than Platinum. I''m not sure how the rich warm tones of your gem will react next to the cool/cold/grey look of Palladium.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Lovely color, generous size, you did very well for a newbie!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 3:17:48 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Very pretty.

May I make a suggestion? Have you put your Malaya next to Palladium? Palladium tends to be slightly more grey looking than Platinum. I''m not sure how the rich warm tones of your gem will react next to the cool/cold/grey look of Palladium.

Hmmm... I haven''t put it next to Palladium. I placed it beside my husband''s platinum band and it seemed to look better there than beside my yellow gold one, although it really didn''t look bad beside the yellow gold, either. When I asked Julia about white gold, she said she had yellow gold and Palladium, which is why I was thinking of Palladium. I may ask about platinum, I wanted to keep the price down a little bit.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
gorgeous color! I could see it being happy in unplated white gold... JKT doesn''t work in white gold? Hmm...

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 12:37:44 AM
Author: yssie
The colour is gorgeous
30.gif
Can''t wait to see what you do with it!
Thank you yssie! I will post lots of pictures once it''s done!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! BB stones are gorgeous!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
color is very nice on that i must say..yum yum

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty stone and great color.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
oh i can''t wait to see the finished product!

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
so pretty! you can never go wrong with a BB stone. congrats!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/23/2010 10:41:10 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
gorgeous color! I could see it being happy in unplated white gold... JKT doesn''t work in white gold? Hmm...

Thank you! I think it would look nice in white gold as well, I still have a little bit of time to decide whether to do white or yellow.

I''m not sure about whether she works with white gold or not-- when I mentioned that I had not made up my mind re yellow vs white, she said she could do yellow gold or palladium, didn''t say anything about white gold... I''ll double check.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Superb cutting as expected as shown by the colourful flashes and I like the little open culet. I’m with LD that the grayer palladium will do this Malaya garnet no justice. In fact, unplated white gold with that hint of warmth could be a better choice since the garnet looks warm toned to me.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2010 10:32:00 AM
Author: Chrono
Superb cutting as expected as shown by the colourful flashes and I like the little open culet. I’m with LD that the grayer palladium will do this Malaya garnet no justice. In fact, unplated white gold with that hint of warmth could be a better choice since the garnet looks warm toned to me.

Thanks for your input, Chrono. What do you think of yellow gold with this stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might work. Have you placed it next to a yellow gold setting yet to see how it looks? Since Malaya garnets are notorious colour shifters, do check it out under both indoor and outdoor lighting.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/24/2010 11:14:26 AM
Author: Chrono
It might work. Have you placed it next to a yellow gold setting yet to see how it looks? Since Malaya garnets are notorious colour shifters, do check it out under both indoor and outdoor lighting.

Well, I guess I''ve answered my own question. I''ve placed it beside my own yellow gold band and it looks great in all lighting. Yellow gold is my favorite precious metal, so I was leaning towards it. But then I placed it beside my husband''s platinum one, and somehow that was more flattering. If she can do it in white gold, I''ll choose that. Otherwise, it will be yellow gold.

Thank you
1.gif

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lori, ma re, Laila619, amethystguy, Marcyc, oddoneout, crasru, sarahbear621, and yingh

Thank you for the compliments and enthusiasm. Purchasing this stone was a positive experience but sharing it with you has been just as much fun! I''m looking forward to posting pictures of the completed ring
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results