shape
carat
color
clarity

My 8.94 TW Parcel of Fancy Intense Yellow Round Brilliants

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very excited to tell you all that Wink Jones will be making a killer bracelet (and pendant) for me from this parcel of diamonds:

I approached Wink at the end of March about the possiblity of making me a bracelet of Fancy Yellows (since I had just purchased a Fancy Yellow Cushion ring from Tiffany). I originally asked for estimates on 10, 12, and 15 pointers. Talked it over with hubby and he suggested that since I already had .33s (10.5 TW) and .16s (6.5 TW) that I go with 20s. I balked at first because this inceased the estimate by a substantial amount. I gave my permission to proceed with this project at the beginning of June 2014.

Well I didn’t realize that I was asking for the “Holy Grail” per Melissa (Wink’s Product Coordinator). “You have no idea how hard it was to source a matching parcel of rounds. I contacted about four or five different sources including two that specialized in fancy yellows; everyone told me that if you were looking for radiants we'd have no problem. I was on the phone daily trying to find them. Everyone was telling me they’d be outrageously expensive (yes, we rejected the first $50K parcel). I swear people were telling me I was looking for the Holy Grail!”

I received an email 3 weeks later that Paul Slegers and Lieve Peeters (of Crafted by Infinity) had sourced a parcel of .20s Fancy Intense Yellow round diamonds (45 stones, 8.94 TW). I am extremely fortunate that they found these since rounds are hard to come by.

As far as the grading goes:
After consultation with Paul and Lieve and my own observation of the diamonds I have for you this is my considered opinion.
The diamonds are Fancy Intense Yellow with a very faint orange tone to them which I regard as a positive as it adds warmth to the stones when viewed face up, without being strong enough for me to grade it as a FIoY.
I inspected ten stones randomly chosen from the parcel and found them all to be SI1 or SI2. There were exactly five of each.

I am forever grateful to Wink, Paul, Lieve, and Melissa for what has occurred so far and look forwards to the completed bracelet and pendant. They should be beautiful.
p.s. The picture doesn't do them justice. They were more saturated when I saw them during Wink's Show-and-Tell Internet session.

yellow-diamonds.jpg

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
Re: My 8.94 TW Parcel of Fancy Intense Yellow Round Brillian

WOW! I'm envious! That's all I can say.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow... 8-)8-)8-)

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

Beside myself!!!! Are you going for a tennis bracelet style? Or DBTY? So excited!!!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

misskittycat|1405382217|3713314 said:
Beside myself!!!! Are you going for a tennis bracelet style? Or DBTY? So excited!!!

Tennis bracelet like this one that Wink also made (.33s 10.5 TW would have been 11.5 TW if standard 7"):

small__wink_bracelet__0.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Something that I learned from this process is that when sourcing something as rare as 20-pointer FIY round brilliants, the consumer is expected to buy the entire parcel. That's fine because now I get a bracelet and a pendant (have small wrists).
However, when Wink made my .33s G-H/VS2-SI1 bracelet, I was charged a per carat price for only the diamonds used.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ohhhh my those are lovely! Yelllooooow oh gosh I love them.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock

That is going to look amazing. Truly amazing.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I want to clarify that these were Wink's comments concerning the grading of these diamonds:

After consultation with Paul and Lieve and my own observation of the diamonds I have for you this is my considered opinion.
The diamonds are Fancy Intense Yellow with a very faint orange tone to them which I regard as a positive as it adds warmth to the stones when viewed face up, without being strong enough for me to grade it as a FIoY.
I inspected ten stones randomly chosen from the parcel and found them all to be SI1 or SI2. There were exactly five of each.

sirinagu

Rough_Rock

Fabulous... Waiting to see the final blingey bracelet and pendant.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock

I can't wait to see the finished product. It will be beautiful.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow. That's really cool.

Can't wait for more pics. :love:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is going to be one amazing piece! :love:

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock

I can't wait to see your bracelet. You are so lucky :) These are lovely diamonds by the way.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful! :love:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I was curious why rounds are so rare and radiants/cushions were more plentiful. So I wrote to the NCDIA and their response was:
Thank you for your interest in the Natural Color Diamond Association. One of the main reasons that cutters don't use the round cut as there main cut, because is that when you cut a round brilliant diamond you incur the greatest weight loss from the rough. The cutters want to get the most weight possible.

Their website said that Radiants, Cushion, Oval, and Pear were affordable, while Round, Princess, and Emerald Cuts had highest value.
http://ncdia.com/rarity_and_value.php

Another friend of mine Bob who collects colored diamonds and jewelry said:
Radiants hold the color better than other shapes, especially rounds, for the same reason that rounds are more brilliant. Rounds reflect more light overall not just the colored wavelength. Also, radiants retain more weight than rounds. rounds require a very saturated rough to show enough color to merit a fancy grade. So do long facet stones like emerald cuts. As a result, cutting for color and size leads to more radiants/cushions than rounds/emeralds.

This website had interesting pricing information and lots of pictures of glorious yellow diamonds:
http://www.jewelsdujour.com/2012/10/for-diamonds-yellow-is-the-new-white/

All this explains why a 17.47 TW parcel that I saw on Leibish.com was less expensive than what I paid for my 8.94 TW parcel: 1 - it had a wider color range of FLY to FIY, 2 - they were 13.5 pointers versus 20 pointers, 3 - they were radiants versus round brilliants
I also saw on their website that a 2.39 FIY VVS Radiant was $28,775 while a 1.58 FIY VS2 Round was $34,850.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock

That'll be one hell of a piece :appl:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thank you all for your compliments so far. I've learned quite a bit through this process so far.
It was much easier to do the first bracelet.

I'm just really excited about this and I think that I'm driving Wink crazy with all of my emails and phone calls.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Every single one of these beautiful FIY diamonds is going into a fabulous tennis bracelet and pendant.
I will forever be grateful for what Paul Slegers (Crafted by Infinity) and Wink Jones has done for me.
One does not see many parcels of FIY round brilliants around.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mr. Wink made my most favorite ring of all time.. a yellow diamond... he's a master... lucky you!!!!!!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

WOW cant wait to see the set pics!!!!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

Congrats! So happy for you. Wink is wonderful to work with. Can't wait to see your beautiful bracelet!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, beautiful stones!!!! Can't wait to see it finished it is going to be AMAZING!!!! :love:

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock

WOWEEE!!!!!!!!! :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

WOW!
wowzer.gif
...Congrats ,you lucky girl.. :clap:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Spectacular! I can't wait to see it when it's finished. :love: :love: :love:

sapphirecats

Shiny_Rock

Wow! I cannot wait to see these beauties!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow. That video is amazing. Wink does a great job with his videos. Your diamonds are awesome.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results