shape
carat
color
clarity

My 6.05 carat blue sapphire has arrived!

syd

Shiny_Rock
This stone is from Roger Dery who was so great to deal with. Its natural and unheated from Sri Lanka. It is quite deep, so faces up like a 5 carat stone. There are some minor inclusions, but its relatively clean. How did I do?

Help me find a setting! I'm thinking of going the halo route for a ring, but I want something unique. Any suggestions?

img_20140210_102516.jpg

img_20140210_102622.jpg

img_20140210_102709.jpg

img_20140211_100538.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's gorgeous! I see it in a three stone with half moons on each side.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
athenaworth|1392157242|3613076 said:
It's gorgeous! I see it in a three stone with half moons on each side.

Ditto the above.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes half moons.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
it is a gorgeous stone by itself. I hope you do NOT halo it....especially if looking for something unique. I know someone that is having her sapphire reset because when she did her halo 5 years ago it was unique......now she sees it everywhere she looks. and, yes, I admit to not liking halos at all.

seriously, your stone is gorgeous on its own.......I'd do a creative setting w/o diamonds at all.

and I do love the color as well as size!

syd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the compliments! Sounds like most are voting no halo... I intend to wear this on my middle finger of my right hand... In case that factors into what setting I should select.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
WOW, how do you not faint when that is in your hand?

I see it with full moons, moonstones, oh my stars - the room is spinning

SB621

Ideal_Rock

Snowyrin

Shiny_Rock
I would agree with the rest on the half moons if you are looking for a unique ring. But if I heard you say HALO, then I'll be really passionate to help create your favourite halo look.

The princess D's classic ring
image_1178.jpg

The Modern halos
image_1179.jpg
image_1180.jpg

The Victorian age
image_1181.jpg

The Scallop look
image_1182.jpg

The Art Deco
image_1183.jpg

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Dreamed about this stone--congrats! :love:

Side pears or marquise, but then again I love "clusters" ala HW although I suspect it would look gorgeous alone or with "friends".

cheers--Sharon

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
endless_summer|1392167151|3613222 said:
athenaworth|1392165679|3613196 said:

I've seen it with a cushion-type stone (oval-ish enough for me), and it was stunning!

+1 it will be stunning! See the example from LM below. I am totally biased though as I have a Sophia from Victor myself.

_14828.jpg

_14829.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Magnificent gorgeous marvelous exquisite! Did I say pretty? Anything you do with that stone will be beautiful. I really like Snowyrin's example of an Art Deco setting -- it's modern but classic & rich & elegant.

--- Laurie

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I really, really like the Sophia now that I'm seeing Acinom's pics!

It would really depend on the look that you're going for, but either way you can't go wrong! For example, the half-moon's would be an elegant statement piece (likely, something that I would end up wearing in the evenings/more special occasions), while the Sophia I think you'd have a stream-lined, sophisticated piece with more daytime/nighttime versatility - wouldn't think twice about wearing that stone in that setting to do anything, except maybe walking my pups :)

I can't wait to see what you do with it!

syd

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions snowyrin but I don't want any of the traditional Halo designs as my ering has a HW style halo so I want something different. And I like the side stones idea too... So maybe I should combine the two. Not sure I want to set it as a solitaire... I do like diamonds and I want it to be a statement piece. I really like the Sophia, but 7k is too steep :confused: . Are there any other vendors that do the french cut sidestones at a lower price?

Here's a few other styles that appealed to me:

http://diamondsforcost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/17031_0.jpg

http://mdcdiamonds.com/engagementdetails.cfm?Stock=ES1087cuwg&Country=US

I'm also liking the bezeled halo look.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for half moon sides as my first preference and for the Sophia type setting as my second. Even if the stone is deep and "only" faces up like a 5 ct stone, that is still a very large footprint. I can't imagine haloing a stone that size unless your goal is to create more of a fun, cocktail-type ring.

LeaD

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful stone with a lovely color.

I'm also not huge fan of halo, except for Snowynin's Art Deco, and your sapphire is both quite big, but also quite wide. Haloed all around, it seems like it might cover the whole width of your middle finger and I'm not sure that would look so nice.

Regarding bezel, you have to take into account that your stone is probably quite deep, a bit deeper than an average color stone of the same size and definitely more than a diamond. And this a strong impact on the look of the ring from the sides. Please find below some pictures to try to help you think about what you like or not in relation with this sapphire.
Here are some views from the side of deep bezel rings.
https://14karats.wordpress.com/tag/sapphire/
Here is one that is deep set but making the most of it:
http://www.bloomingbeautyring.com/unique-engagement-rings/spiral-wrap-deep-set-pave-and-bezel-round-diamond-engagement-ring-bbr433/
If you wish to go for a deep bezel, try to anticipate the impact it might have on reducing the light flowing through your stone. Some other PSer (whose name I forgot, deeply sorry) recommended to try wrapping the bottom part of the stone in aluminum paper or something like that to check it
If you choose the bezel just around the girdle of the stone, you'll have a large chunk hanging below:
http://www.emmaparkerdiamonds.com/bridal-and-anniversary/engagement-rings/rings-by-diamond-shape/pear-shaped-engagement-rings/bezel-set-split-shank-pave-set-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-by-sareen-jewelry-dtr851b

My personal tastes would go in favor of either a simple solitaire or a three-stones with baguettes (see example below with the centre stone to be replaced by yours), half moon or 3-diamond paving on each side. But you have to choose the design you prefer, as you will be the lucky one to wear it. Hope this will help you in your thinking.
http://www.pureenvy.com.au/oval-cut-diamond-engagement-rings.html

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results