shape
carat
color
clarity

Most sought after gem mineral and the color...

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
:wavey:

I would like to ask a question to the masses of people on this forum as I respect all of your opinions...

At this time what do you feel is the most sought after gem mineral and in what color??? I know this changes about every 5 years or so; but it would be nice to know what you think is the most sought after gem and the color you like the best in that mineral.

Most Respectfully;

Dana M. Reynolds, csmg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a weakness for a fine non-blotchy natural pure green diamond, Fancy Intense or Fancy Vivid please. :Up_to_something:

Reds cost much more but there is just something about a good green one. :love:

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
IMO, spinel in blues/lavenders/pinkish red, and blue green/mint tourmaline has always been popular.

gongli

Rough_Rock
i like ruby, blue sapphire, emerald, and lately padparadscha. i guess that i am a bit old-fashioned.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mahenge spinels barely last five seconds when they come up on anyone's drops.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looking at the market as a whole, I would say it is still blue sapphire.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Blue sapphires for definite.

Amongst those who are into gemstones I would say that mali garnets, mahenge spinels and spessartite garnets are all popular.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I agree with the posters above about the trends.

My personal favorite is anything close to true red from a ruby, spinel, or even a light red from a tourmaline with a oval or cushion cut. I finally found a red spinel, so my next thing will probably be a step cut stone in a pastel to medium color. I think the latter were popular on PS several years ago.

For high priced stones, medium to medium dark sapphires, pads, red red rubies, and glowing emeralds have always been popular on PS.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From many of the posts it seems like Mahenge spinels and red spinels are very sought after right now. I personally like pink, red, purple, teal, and pad spinels and sapphires.

gongli

Rough_Rock
i find that even the rarest stuff is googleable now, and sometimes not as expensive as i would have imagined..

http://www.adamsminerals.com/store/shop.php/cut-stones/rare-gems/red-beryl-bixbite/p_3290.html
http://store.gemsevermore.com/faceted-hauyne.html

of course i wouldn't know if that's red glass or bixbite without a lab report.. i believe bixbite and morganite are the same thing but bixbite is the more toned one.

i've seen the expensive colored stone is usually the untreated ruby, emerald and blue sapphire - i think price is not about only rarity (supply) but also demand.

also the diamond simulant thread got me interested in dispersion, i'm waiting for some cheap (red) zircon, sphene and spharelite.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Consciously, I respond to the word "Mahenge".

Subconsciously, it is probably different. Recently, in a cutter's office, I first started looking for a spessartite, then asked to see the sapphires, then emeralds, then spinels. Then indicolites, and then tsavorites. Apparently, subconscious works different than conscious - perhaps Mahenges are popular and overrated, and my favorite combination is orange and blue so I went in that order...

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Untreated vivid red rubies, untreated kashmir sapphires, extra fine emeralds, fancy vivid diamonds with no modifiers, and extra fine alexandrites larger than 2 carats with fantastic color change (deep blue green to deep purplish red/reddish purple). I thought I read that a green diamond sold for 900k+ per carat...? So they appear to compete at least in some degree to reds. Imagine if the Dresden Green went up for auction! Over 40 carats natural fancy intense green... :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results