shape
carat
color
clarity

more Paraiba eye candy - What do you think?

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Thought I'd share this Brazilian Paraiba Tourmaline...I love the color. 4.43 ct. I also love the bamboo-like setting with baguette diamonds.
Nice smaller 3.26 Paraiba cab too, I'm becoming a fan of Paraiba cabs.
What do you think of the these? Opinions would be appreciated.

_32868.jpg

_32869.jpg

_32870.jpg

_32871.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are considering these, I would want a lab report with origin.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know... I would pass on the pear cab and the other, which I imagine is considerably more expensive, seems to vary from pic to pic. Its hard to tell. Typically, a Paraiba/copper bearing if it has the glow/neon, is super photogenic with the glow apparent in every photo. That stone looks great in one or two photos, and good but not exceptional in others. The upside is that it does have an elaborate and substantial setting and its ready to wear. :)) The downside is that even with a lab report (which I agree is a smart move), it doesn't look to have the eye popping color one seeks in Paraibas. But you have seen and purchased many (right?) and it seems you have a discriminating eye and the ability to discern the mediocre from phenomenal, so I'm sure its in good hands! ;))

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have more pics of the cab? To my eyes it looks really pretty with the soft outline and greenish tint. How is the glow in real life?
Also, your other Paraiba's are faceted so it would be nice to add a cab.

Both stones look great to me though. It all depends on what you are seeing in real life since these stones are so difficult to photograph.

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Hi, TL, MJ, and Acinom,

Thank you for your input. I took these photos in the store under difficult lighting. To my eye, IRL, the paraiba ring has very good saturation and a very good glow. I have seen quite a few, and it's one of the best colored ones I've seen. I took the pictures with my iPad so it's not the ideal photographic equipment. Of course everything comes with a lab report, but they never specify origin here in Japan.
A couple of the photos don't really do it justice, but I was trying to show its different character… But we all know how difficult gems are to capture accurately on film.

Yes, Acinom, since most everything I have has been faceted, I have been admiring cabs lately. They do have a beauty all their own.
I can try to get some better pictures of the cab later, I just snapped these in the shop. But I find the color pleasing, and I thought the clarity is pretty decent on it too.

Thanks for chiming in!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's amazing that your jeweller has such high quality Paraiba stones. Would love to see more pics of the cab. Which of these sings to you most?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour of the pear cab does not "pop" at me, and I would request to see more photos.

As for the oval faceted stone, love the stone, however, the setting is too fussy/clunky/70's for my liking.

DK :))

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I prefer the faceted stone in terms of color, but the setting isn't something I'm crazy about. It would be good to see more pics of the cab as well...its a little hard to tell in terms of color whether it really "pops", but overall both stones are clearly beautiful!

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Hi, all,

Thank you for the feedback.
Acinom, of course the large faceted stone with good color speaks to me most. And I like that it's already set into a ring. A couple people said they didn't like the setting, but it's actually more attractive in real life. You can't appreciate the diamond baguettes very much in the pictures. And I kind of like that it resembles bamboo since I'm in Japan. But of course different settings appeal to different people, that's the fun and beauty of jewelry.

MB, yes, you're right, I've been fortunate enough to see many different Paraibas and buy several, so I do think I can tell good from so-so.
Acinom, the jeweler I go to has an amazing assortment of rare and beautiful stones, he never ceases to amaze me. So I'm very lucky to be able to see nice Paraibas and more with my own eyes, something I think most people don't have an opportunity to do. Also, I'm in Japan, and I've heard and read many times that a lot of Paraibas go to Asia, so that is a lucky break for me too.

When I look at the page of stones for sale on Paraiba International, a lot of those stones don't 'pop' for me either - but I just chalk it up to the fact they are static photos. Would it be not allowed for me to post a screen shot of their page showing their stones to show what I mean, or would it be ok?

Lovedogs and DK, thank you for your comments! :))

The small Paraiba cab is beautiful in its own right, I think. Of course the two stones are apples and oranges -one can't replace the other.
They are both in different leagues. I took some more photos....

I apologize for having pretty much the ugliest hands ever for hand shots.

_32901.jpg

_32902.jpg

_32903.jpg

_32904.jpg

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
An afterthought – – I realize this cab is not the most neon or glowiest Paraiba there is, but it is what it is… a pretty stone that I like. :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemandjewelrylover|1438402693|3909661 said:
A couple more photos.

It's beautiful! I think the setting style is similar to others I've seen at the HK gem show from Japanese vendors. This Paraiba is beautiful, it looks super neon and glowing in your photos, and the blue color is gorgeous. Have you purchased it, or are you still considering?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the additional pics!! I have a huge weak spot for Cabs and this Paraiba cab is no exception.

True words about personal taste differences in settings. If the faceted stone as well as the setting appeals to you and the pricing is ok, I would seriously consider it if I were you 8-). Looking forward to see what you decide. :wavey:
The colour of the faceted stone looks amazing in itself as well as glowy. It has a great size too!!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful!
Neon cabochons look so out of this world.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that cab is amazing in the additional photos. Really proves that it is hard to capture the color/glow of paraiba! Now that I've seen more pictures I would lean more towards the cab stone, especially if you don't already have one. Thanks for sharing these pieces with us!!

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Hi, again, everyone,

Thank you for the comments on the stones. Mochiko and Acinom, I too think the faceted stone has great color, and I think I will get it. It's getting a lab report at the moment. It is indeed more than the cab, but I think the price is ok, especially since it's already set. I already got the cab. So I guess I will soon add the ring to my collection. Gloria27 and lovedogs, thanks for your comments on the cab. It was fun doing a little photo shoot with it and trying to capture its "True Colors" :lol:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemandjewelrylover|1438527158|3910087 said:
Hi, again, everyone,

Thank you for the comments on the stones. Mochiko and Acinom, I too think the faceted stone has great color, and I think I will get it. It's getting a lab report at the moment. It is indeed more than the cab, but I think the price is ok, especially since it's already set. I already got the cab. So I guess I will soon add the ring to my collection. Gloria27 and lovedogs, thanks for your comments on the cab. It was fun doing a little photo shoot with it and trying to capture its "True Colors" :lol:

Do I understand correctly that you have bought the cab ("I already got the cab") and will now get the faceted stone pending the lab report?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a luxurious splurge! Sounds great. Congrats :love: :love: :love:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stones! Congratulations! :appl: Any idea of how you will want to set the cab?

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
Hi, Rockin' Ruby,

Thank you! No idea at the moment, funds for setting it are a little ways off, ::) But I'm always on the lookout for good ideas and have an inspiration folder from PS! :))

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! Congrats on finding two beautiful paraibas that speak to you. Lucky woman...I don't know what I would do if I was in your situation and surrounded by all of those stones in person. You definitely have a very nice paraiba collection going on there. Glad that you are able to add a cab now. I can't wait to see how you will set yours. :)

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
lovesvintage, thank you! You're right-- it's like being a kid in a candy store-- want so much but can only afford a little. But I have been very fortunate to get what I have. I have a long time to think about the setting..... :think:
Acinom, thanks again to you too! :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope I'm not too late! Please don't buy the preset Paraiba. You indicated in your other thread that your jeweler gets them in frequently. If I were you, I would save resources a bit and buy one with more neon and less inclusions. Yes, it will cost more, but it will be so worth it! I have several (and have sold more and seen even more) and every time I go to a gem show and compare, there is something about a lack of inclusions that makes the neon in mine even glowier. Its a tradeoff that you can afford. :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gemandjewelrylover|1438415124|3909692 said:
Hi, TL, MJ, and Acinom,

Thank you for your input. I took these photos in the store under difficult lighting. To my eye, IRL, the paraiba ring has very good saturation and a very good glow. I have seen quite a few, and it's one of the best colored ones I've seen. I took the pictures with my iPad so it's not the ideal photographic equipment. Of course everything comes with a lab report, but they never specify origin here in Japan.
A couple of the photos don't really do it justice, but I was trying to show its different character… But we all know how difficult gems are to capture accurately on film.

Yes, Acinom, since most everything I have has been faceted, I have been admiring cabs lately. They do have a beauty all their own.
I can try to get some better pictures of the cab later, I just snapped these in the shop. But I find the color pleasing, and I thought the clarity is pretty decent on it too.

Thanks for chiming in!

In this case, the report is almost worthless because if paying a premium for Brazilian origin, you want origin. If it were African, then origin would not be necessary. It's highly likely they're also clarity enhanced, and that should be on the report as well. Stay away from ultrasonic cleaners with paraibas, especially those that are highly included.

gemandjewelrylover

Shiny_Rock
MB and TL, thank you for your comments. I am going to the shop again tomorrow, hopefully the stone is back from the lab, and I'll take another look at it. The lab report should show if it is enhanced at all. It is unfortunate they don't note origin here, but the dealer is very reputable, and he would stand behind his guarantee if I had it tested in the states and it came back that it wasn't Brazilian.
I'll compare it to the others I've seen and have and weigh my options carefully. I do appreciate your advice.

Thank you! .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results