shape
carat
color
clarity

More... of the same???

Do you ever buy stones that look quite similar to one or more you already have?

• No, every single stone is different

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • No, but I do prefer (a) certain color family(ies)

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Not yet, but I am thinking about it

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Yes, 1-3 of my stones are quite similar

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes, 4-6 of my stones are quite similar

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Yes, 7 or more of my stones are quite similar

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have our own specific preferences.
Also when it comes to colors or a
specific type of stone, haven't we?

So, do you ever have a tendency to
buy a several stones in colors you
already have?

Tell us and show us!!!

Personally, I have a preference for
greens and blues. As I am a relative
newbie my small collection consists
of different colors. Till sofar that is :twisted:

I am currently am thinking about
a stone of a species AND color that
I already have. But this one is darker
and greyer, has a different shape and...

:lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. I'm a stone hoarder. If I find a particular stone I love, say blue spinel, I'll go out and buy too many. That's another reason I voted for cheap settings in your other thread because I couldn't afford to set all of them in expensive settings.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I gravitate primarily towards the standard blue and red spinels. I have branched out to greens a few years ago and although I like orange, I find that they don't go well with my skin tone so I rarely wear them. I don't like yellow and only like certain shades of pink. I have only a few purple.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL and Chrono: ha, I would love to see some eyecandy :naughty: And don't forget to submit your votes :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom|1428514521|3858696 said:
TL and Chrono: ha, I would love to see some eyecandy :naughty: And don't forget to submit your votes :lol:
I'm not quite sure which vote applies. I've also posted a million pictures of my loose stones and jewellery on CS, so I don't think you all need to see them rehashed repeatedly. :lol:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1428515027|3858704 said:
I'm not quite sure which vote applies. I've also posted a million pictures of my loose stones and jewellery on CS, so I don't think you all need to see them rehashed repeatedly. :lol:

I always love seeing your stones. :appl:

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I try to get one of every color - but wind up getting replacement colors. Oy I guess I'm all over the place! For a very long time I was obsessed with all things pink. I think I'm finally done with that phase . . . famous last words

swissmiss

Shiny_Rock
I have a few emeralds that are almost exactly the same color and a number of pink spinels and sapphires that are very similar in color. Then there's some randomly colored stones I bought when I wasn't thinking things through...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't quite know which option to choose, as each stone is different even when it is supposed to be half of a well-matched pair! :naughty: :bigsmile:

I love raspberry pink/red stones and have a few of these, mainly rubies, however, I have added a spinel and a rubellite tourmaline to the mix.

Since 2005/6, for jewellery, I had only worn diamonds, pearls and rubies, even stopped wearing Amethyst which is my birthstone, as I thought it would be easier to mix and match with fewer colours in the mix, as my wardrobe is very colourful.

I have only really started to look into getting some non pink/red CSs last year when my financial situation started to look better/rosier.

I do not intend to get one in each colour except if it is inexpensive. For the more expensive stones, I shall stick with pink/red, blue/green and purple.

DK :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Like Chrono, I have a bazillion pics all over this site. I have so many spinels, especially blue/violet spinels, it's embarrassing. :oops: Many of them are sitting in the bank in gem boxes, loose, waiting for a setting. I want to do some cluster rings to get them all set without having to do a separate ring for each.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I answered "every stone is different" which may not be exactly correct. Do I have more than one of each color? yes Do I have more than one of each type? yes. Do they look the same? No - the tone,type or size or cut usually has to be very different for me to buy.

While I lean towards winter colors, I do like having a wide variety to coordinate with whatever I am wearing.

Actually, that is probably the only criteria that I've stuck with, lol. I've talked myself out of many stones saying "No - you have one almost like it" - especially difficult when passing up a bargain price. Sometimes I regret it when someone else snaps it up but I remind myself "Stop it, you are lucky that you already have one!".

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I am definitely guilty too. I know I've owned at least 10 pinkish red mahenges. I'm down to only half that now...most are pretty small though, I still have a couple of pairs in the 4.5 mm range, a really stunning neon 5.3 mm round, a more pink 5.2 mm round and a good but not amazing larger 1.95 ct oval. I even bought a pale baby pink sapphire and while it can't compare in saturation to the spinels, I guess I just like pink and red gems. I have my eye on a gorgeous pair of red spinels but they are pricey and not sure if want them bad enough to pony up.

I also love the violet/lavender/gray/periwinkle spinels. I've put together a suite of 3 (beautiful gems cut by Barry) that I've kept, but I've owned at least 10 of those too. I owned a pretty pair of violet sapphires from Dana but sold them - but just recently bought a 1.70ish ct violet sapphire from Dana too. It's gorgeous with much less gray than the similarly colored spinels - you can really see it when they're next to each other. They're different animals I guess, but I really love both the violet colored spinels and sapphires.

And I freaking love blues and greens too. I just bought an emerald ring today, lol...I don't typically like them, my preferred green in gems is merelani mint, of which I also own several ;-). Used to own around 7...Went through a tsav phase too, but prefer mint greens with touch of blue. The emerald ring I got today looks to have my preferred bluish tint to the greens so I'm excited to see it (bought from Yvonne Raley). Colombian with touch of oil but no other treatments, it's a five stone ring.

For blues I LOOOVE sapphire of course; I have a teeny pair of cobalt blue spinel and would love a bigger cobalt but we'll see...I also just got my first hauynite, a small 3 mm pair but the color is striking. Makes my cobalt and blue sapphires look gray! I've gone through at least 3 pairs of sapphires, a five stone Ceylon blue ring, and two 1-1.75 ct round blue sapphires...

One thing I've started doing is buying tiny pairs of rare or HTF gems. I have a pair of bright pinkish red round 3 mm burma spinels; added an oval 4x2 mm pair of those today; my cobalt spinel pr is 2.4 mm; hauynite pr is 3 mm; and a less expensive but very pretty pr of lavender Luc yen spinels, 3 mm too. Don't know what I'll do with them all but I like owning them.

As you can all see, I definitely repeat buy...I guess I've made my case, lol!! I'll add some pics for fun. All of the stuff in these pics came to me via Yvonne.

_28747.jpg

_28748.jpg

_28749.jpg

_28750.jpg

katharath

Ideal_Rock
More pics so we can liven things up ;-). (Bc we all love pics, right??)

Many of my pics are either Dana's or Yvonne's, some are mine.

_28751.jpg

_28752.jpg

_28753.jpg

_28754.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Guilty too!!

If I really love a special gem I try to get as much as possible. I prefer to buy 10-20 small stones instead of one or too larger.

I have for example 10 Cobalt Spinel from Sri Lanka - 8 are round flower cuts from 0,36 - 2,44 ct - a joy to see the different shades of deep blue - some have a hint a teal, some violet...

Honestly - who would stop to buy fine top green russian demantoid if you get them for a very good price??

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I had to vote 7 or more similar. I used to limit my gemstone buying to just Colombian emeralds and tanzanites. (My husband is Colombian and I used to live in Tanzania). Outside of those two gems I managed to limit myself to gemstone beads. Last year I decided to start collecting stones from Tanzania. Recently I went nuts for super saturated orange pink mahenges. The picture below doesn't show my stones in their best light (or my my hands either) but you can clearly see these are all very similar. I also purchased some tiny cobalt spinels and some baby paraiba tourmalines from Brazil (from Yvonne Raley) and now I'm hooked on all things blue/green.

_28761.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I gravitate towards the most vivid I can afford in in medium/medium-dark stones, but I collect all color families. I don't have orange yet.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I've gone through phases by type/species-- hoarded spinels for awhile, went on a tourmaline buying spree, and then caught myself eyeing garnets.... I do tend to be drawn to pink stones the most. My impulse/gut purchases have tended to be red/pink stones.

I tell myself that I should cull and sell some of my collections before I move on to a new binge, but I either can't bear to part with anything or I'm just lazy.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread! I answered each stone is different but I definitely gravitate towards rich jewel colours/tones and asscher/emerald cuts.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've pretty much got at least one good example of every colour of the rainbow at this point, but I do hoard the pinks/reds/everything in between and the blue-greens. I've seen a lot of violets and oranges in my quests for the "perfect" of each, but am down to a couple of each.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's interesting to see how people tend to gravitate to the red/pink and the blue/green in the color spectrum.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
mochiko42|1428555306|3859079 said:
It's interesting to see how people tend to gravitate to the red/pink and the blue/green in the color spectrum.

Yes - esp. the blue/bluish green color range - a yellow/yellowish green is beautiful too but I think most here would prefer a fine slightly bluish green tourmaline instead of a similar cut fine slightly yellowish green tourmaline - both are gorgous gems.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely gravitate towards blue, green and red stones. All my stones are different with the exception of my Jeff Davies sapphires of which I have three identical pairs!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is a very interesting thread. I seem to be drawn towards green although ruby is my favourite gemstone. I currently have 6 unset Tsavorites, 3 unset Mali garnets and 2 green tourmalines. I have two Tsavorite rings, one green grossularite ring and one pair of Tsavorite earrings. I do have 5 unset Mahenge spinels as well. I gravitate towards green in the winter and pink in the summer. As you can tell by my purchases we have short summers (lol). I guess I really should get some of these gems set. I currently have a spessartite ring, earrings and pendant being made. I seem to buy so I can put together sets.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow said:

Yes - esp. the blue/bluish green color range - a yellow/yellowish green is beautiful too but I think most here would prefer a fine slightly bluish green tourmaline instead of a similar cut fine slightly yellowish green tourmaline - both are gorgous gems.

Is it simple preference that leads people to prefer bluish green over yellowish green? Or is it something deeper, more psychological? I would guess the latter since more people prefer one over the other.

I have a beautiful green tourmaline cut by Barry Bridgestock that displays yellow modifier and occasional blue tint, and I somehow think it would be better if it were blue green and not yellow green. It's strange because normally I love the color yellow (yellow gold, yellow sapphire) but strangely I'm not a huge fan of yellow or brown modifiers.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1428576917|3859158 said:
Marlow said:

Is it simple preference that leads people to prefer bluish green over yellowish green? Or is it something deeper, more psychological? I would guess the latter since more people prefer one over the other.

I have a beautiful green tourmaline cut by Barry Bridgestock that displays yellow modifier and occasional blue tint, and I somehow think it would be better if it were blue green and not yellow green. It's strange because normally I love the color yellow (yellow gold, yellow sapphire) but strangely I'm not a huge fan of yellow or brown modifiers.

Blue is probably my favorite gemstone color, and blue color families, like violet, purple. It's probably because it's a soothing color and reminds people of the sky or the water.

There's nothing wrong with yellowish greens, but I think yellow tends to overshadow the green of a stone, whereas blue enhances it, if that makes sense.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love blue and dislike yellow, so for me, it is natural to gravitate towards bluish green rather than yellowish green gems. The same applies to all the reds I purchase - I lean more towards a hint of blue in them, hence preferring a slightly purplish red over a slightly orangish red.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I tend to buy stones that have the exact same color characteristic in each and every one of them. It's actually quite a curious phenomenon, as it leads to an absence of color. Strange as it seems, but all the stones I collect all seem to sap the color green right out of my wallet! Every one of 'em!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just got a new BlackBerry Classic and it actually takes really good photos, although not as good as the iPad. Once I figure out how to get the picture off my phone onto the computer I'll post a picture of my Mahenge spinels. I feel as if I'm the only one who hasn't posted a picture in Pricescope yet.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus|1428595481|3859294 said:
I tend to buy stones that have the exact same color characteristic in each and every one of them. It's actually quite a curious phenomenon, as it leads to an absence of color. Strange as it seems, but all the stones I collect all seem to sap the color green right out of my wallet! Every one of 'em!

I hear that!!! :lol: ;(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results