shape
carat
color
clarity

More Morganite Help!

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I am on the hunt for a morganite. I'd like a 10X8 oval that I will set in a rose gold solitaire setting (exact one to be determined). My finger is a size 5 and I'm afraid to go much larger.... I don't want it to look like a cocktail ring on me. I want a nice presence without being too much.

I'm working with a local jeweler that I've used before on this project but we are having a hard time finding the perfect stone. I've been looking at various online vendors and haven't found anything in the size/ shape that I need. There is a listing on jtv.com but I'm wary of buying from there since it seems it's a toss up in terms of what you end up with.

My jeweler just called and said he'd found a really pretty one in terms of cut but the problem is that it's very very light. We have both been searching for a totally natural stone.

I understand that the color tends to be deeper in larger stones and the size I'm looking at seems to be on the smaller side (although I have seen several smaller). Am I looking for a needle in a haystack? Should I consider an irradiated stone to get the color I want.

I understand that an irradiated stone may fade over time. Any idea how long this is? Since it's not an expensive stone (let's face it...I'll likely pay more for the setting than the stone) does it really matter?

This will be a right had ring. I'll probably wear it often to work (office job). I don't wear any jewelry around the house and I can't imagine me wearing this ring for most outside activities. On weekends I might wear it out to dinner or to church or something.

To be honest, I'm getting frustrated with the search. Am I going to be able to find what I want in a natural stone (pretty cut, no window, pretty color, etc.). Would irradiated be OK for me? The natural stone my jeweler found was around $160...would an irradiated stone cost less? Either way it's not very expensive and I could always replace it if I'm unhappy with it.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know, irradiation treatment of morganite is not detectable at this time.

The largest one in this group is 9 x 7 mm for nearly $700 if I'm adding it up correctly. Even with the 25% discount in place, it'll be $500 for the stone. Yes, it is a stock picture but from what I've seen so far, even AG's stock items have better colouration and cut than most places.
http://www.africagems.com/calibrated-morganite-oval.html

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1421860128|3819892 said:
As far as I know, irradiation treatment of morganite is not detectable at this time.

Which means that jewelers will probably charge similar amounts for treated and untreated stones, so you have to take your chances, or go to a vendor who really knows his/her source.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Wow! $500-$700 is way more than the prices I've seen anywhere else. Everything I've seen has been in the $100-$200 range. Why is the stone on africangems so much more? Is it just that much better in terms of quality?

I'm OK with spending that if I need to to get a nice stone. I'm just surprised because it is more than double what I've seen elsewhere.

I did see a "totally natural, no treatment", stone on etsy (don't remember where) with deep color (maybe too deep for me) for around $250.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw many larger stones @ MulticolourGems but the colours were yucky and most are badly windowed. Almost all morganite have been treated so I would take that "totally natural, no treatment" with lots of salt. You have the link to AG and you've seen the stones offered by other vendors. If the colour difference is great to you, then that explains the large difference in price. If not, then I have no explanation. I also understand that AG tends to be expensive but when discounted, their pricing is fair.
http://www.gia.edu/morganite-quality-factors

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
applequeen|1421864938|3819945 said:
Wow! $500-$700 is way more than the prices I've seen anywhere else. Everything I've seen has been in the $100-$200 range. Why is the stone on africangems so much more? Is it just that much better in terms of quality?

I'm OK with spending that if I need to to get a nice stone. I'm just surprised because it is more than double what I've seen elsewhere.

I did see a "totally natural, no treatment", stone on etsy (don't remember where) with deep color (maybe too deep for me) for around $250.

Africagems is typically higher priced. Morganite is one stone you should definitely shop around for in regards to pricing.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1421865051|3819946 said:
I saw many larger stones @ MulticolourGems but the colours were yucky and most are badly windowed. Almost all morganite have been treated so I would take that "totally natural, no treatment" with lots of salt. You have the link to AG and you've seen the stones offered by other vendors. If the colour difference is great to you, then that explains the large difference in price. If not, then I have no explanation. I also understand that AG tends to be expensive but when discounted, their pricing is fair.
http://www.gia.edu/morganite-quality-factors

Thanks.

Yeah, I wasn't convinced about the etsy stone (that's why I did the " " ....it was their words not mine).

I'm not able to access AG here at work but I'll look at home tonight. I think that your final sentence is exactly what I've been looking for. I've already read the information you linked to but I've not been able to correlate it with pricing. I know the prices that I've seen but there really is no information to help me determine the true quality of the stone. As long as the price matches the quality (and I can be certain that it does) I am happy to pay.

The jeweler I am working with is the one who I worked with when I had my engagement ring diamond recut. He understands that I don't want to be in another situation where I am dissatisfied with a stone. Obviously this is project is much smaller in terms of price but I still want to choose carefully.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, let's use Multicolour as an example because their pricing is fair, for the most part.
http://www.multicolour.com/gallery/?/gallery/morganite/

2.7 ct for $300 plus. Why? Because it is a pretty light pink. Rather pale, yes, but not tinged with brown.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/morganite/ymo119aa/&1244716636

7.9 ct for $300 plus. Why? It has a strong brown component and needs a dark background just to make the colour stand out.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/morganite/ymo114ac/&1244716636

2.8 ct for under $200. The bowtie will bother me though, and that it is silky.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/morganite/by10007aa/&1244716636

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
TL - Yes my jeweler suggested spinals as a possible alternative for the same reason. It's similar in color but it just doesn't speak to me the same way. I'm not terribly worried (although it has crossed my mind) about durability but I think for the way I will wear the ring I'll be OK. (This won't be an ering...It's a right hand ring. I take all my jewelry off when I get home. I am pretty gentle with it).

Chrono - that is very helpful. I actually looked at that site this morning and can across the oval you linked but also didn't like the bowtie. I also just overall found it to be too pink. I pulled up AG on my phone....wow! Those are some pretty stones! If they had a 10X8 I might be tempted.

I wish I could sit down with a bunch of stones and just the pick one that I like the most. I considered ordering several from different vendors just so I could do this (assuming I could send the rejects back)!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
applequeen|1421869154|3819992 said:
I wish I could sit down with a bunch of stones and just the pick one that I like the most. I considered ordering several from different vendors just so I could do this (assuming I could send the rejects back)!

This would be the best way to pick the right stone but unfortunately, the shipping costs may end up equivalent to the cost of the selected stone, especially if your budget is around $100.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
applequeen|1421869154|3819992 said:
TL - Yes my jeweler suggested spinals as a possible alternative for the same reason. It's similar in color but it just doesn't speak to me the same way. I'm not terribly worried (although it has crossed my mind) about durability but I think for the way I will wear the ring I'll be OK. (This won't be an ering...It's a right hand ring. I take all my jewelry off when I get home. I am pretty gentle with it).

Chrono - that is very helpful. I actually looked at that site this morning and can across the oval you linked but also didn't like the bowtie. I also just overall found it to be too pink. I pulled up AG on my phone....wow! Those are some pretty stones! If they had a 10X8 I might be tempted.

Have you ever seen a very nice and bright spinel in person? Most are blah, and B&M jewelers tend to not be able to source decent ones.

In any case, if you do a search on images for pink or peach spinel here in this forum, pinterest, or some other searchable place, you may find they're very much to your liking. They also have great luster and sparkle.

If your mind is set on a morganite, then go for it, but it's good to pursue all available options so you can find something perfect in the end.

:)

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
My budget for the entire ring was around $500 but that can go up for the right stone and the right rose gold setting. Do you think I can find a nice stone for under $300?

TL you convinced me to take a second look at spinels. I saw one on gemfix that was beautiful but it was $795 with a sale pending. It definitly caught my eye. It really is more about the color for me...
Its the peachy pink that I love.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
applequeen|1421880496|3820105 said:
My budget for the entire ring was around $500 but that can go up for the right stone and the right rose gold setting. Do you think I can find a nice stone for under $300?

TL you convinced me to take a second look at spinels. I saw one on gemfix that was beautiful but it was $795 with a sale pending. It definitly caught my eye. It really is more about the color for me...
Its the peachy pink that I love.

Can you post the link or the photo so people can find similar ones for you?

If your budget is $500 then I would spend more on the stone, and get a very simple gold setting for now. You can always upgrade the setting later on for an anniversary or something.

Is this the stone you like?

spinel_341_a_1_.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Might be tough to get a 2.5 ct spinel for $300 but I think it might doable for $500. Spinel is quite dense and so face up smaller.

Is this too pink? MC's stones are not as saturated in hand, so the colour will be warmer and lighter than pictured.
http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?1170050625

b_vsp219ah.jpg

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I think that's too pink

This is the one that I liked

spinel_343_2.jpg

It reminds me quite a bit of the color morganite I like (but it is peachier).

I do plan to set whatever stone I get in a solitaire setting. I'm just not a halo type. I like simple, clean styles. Since this is a "just because I want it" ring I don't see me resetting it. I think the rose gold settings I looked at were around $350. My budget really is flexible. I set it without really knowing what it would take to get something I like. I would say maximum budget is $1000 but I'd like to spend closer to $500.

This will be my first colored stone project. I had a baby three stone ring made for my daughter (she's 2) for Christmas. She loves playing with my engagement ring so I wanted a little girl version made for her to have (it's put up in my jewelry box). Her ring has a pink topaz center and white topaz sides. It wasn't very expensive and it is precious :)) and it got me thinking I'd like something with some color for myself.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you okay with the inclusion at the lower left? He said eye clean but my eyes tend to be sharper than most vendors'.

spinel_343_a.jpg

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
The inclusion is a non-issue since there is a sale pending for this stone. It's not available even if I wanted it. :)

I use it only as an example of the color/ shape that caught my eye.

My eyesight is terrible so I always have a hard time spotting inclusions. As long as most people wouldn't notice it I'm generally OK with it. If it's something I can see then it's usually really bad!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, I thought you bought it. I see the thread now too; I generally do not comment once the stone is purchased unless the return period is still valid and the owner is having second thoughts about it.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Nope...not me.... but I do have my eye on some of the lilac purplish stones. If it wasn't such a huge departure from what I started out looking for I could be tempted.

Maybe that will be my next project. I hear that colored stones are addictive. :)

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
So... as unsure as I am that I even still want a morganite. I have found this option. Any thoughts?

http://lauriesarahdesigns.com/loose-gems/morganite-loose-gemstones/loose-morganite-gemstones-oval-peach-pink-for-sale-lsg303

After trying on a 10X8 morganite I think I want something a bit larger.

Honestly, you've got me really looking at peachy pink spinels. I love the deeper color. If I could find something in the 11X9 range, oval, for up to $500 I'd probably jump on it.

I'm also open to other stones. I have realized it's really the general morganite color that I like. I've seen some sapphires that I would love....but I don't love the price. I'd like to keep the entire piece under $1000.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that one; gaping bay door. The Gemfix spinel is being returned - check out the thread to read her review and video.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
Yeah, I tried to slow the video down to get a good look. I thought I could see straight through it at one point but I wasn't sure.

The spinel is too small. I'd like something around 11X9. It was also a little dark in the video.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's highly unlikely you'll be in your price range with a spinel that size. In that case, I'd look for a morganite. You may find some tourmaline in that color too. I actually own a large peach tourmaline (gaping window though) that looks identical in color to some peachy light morganite. They are the same durability as morganite though, but at least that will help you look for more options.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
applequeen|1422039505|3820957 said:

That's nicely cut, and proportioned, but it looks to be a bit darker than what you've been presenting as your "ideal color," but if you like it, go for it. That's a reputable vendor.

You could also look at "champagne topaz" too. There's one on Jerry Newman's page here, but its a strange cut. Maybe he has more material.

http://www.gemartservices.com/newstuff.htm

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
I'm seriously considering the tourmaline. It's totally different from what I started out looking for but it got my attention. I am curious to see what it would look like in person. The seller seems to have a good return policy so I might just buy it and take a look.

I have been looking at some topaz. It's on my list.

Honestly, I don't think I even know what I want anymore. I think I need to start over and just look for a stone that appeals to me. I have a general idea of shapes, colors, size, etc. but the more I look the more things I see that I like. :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
applequeen|1422041872|3820979 said:
I'm seriously considering the tourmaline. It's totally different from what I started out looking for but it got my attention. I am curious to see what it would look like in person. The seller seems to have a good return policy so I might just buy it and take a look.

I have been looking at some topaz. It's on my list.

Honestly, I don't think I even know what I want anymore. I think I need to start over and just look for a stone that appeals to me. I have a general idea of shapes, colors, size, etc. but the more I look the more things I see that I like. :))
It's easy to get confused when you have so many options. Sometimes it is easier to buy a ready made ring. Your time is money too.

applequeen

Shiny_Rock
I actually enjoy the hunt when I am buying something. In this case I am learning so much and I am realizing there are so many options that I never even knew of before. It started out as a very straightforwrd purchase but as I am so glad I didn't rush it.

I have no idea what I will end up with. It probably won't be a morganite although its still an option. My budget can increase as needed to get something I will love and that will last.

I love the peach tourmaline but I worry about its durability. It has a lower Mohs than morganite. Should I scratch tourmaline off my list too?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results