shape
carat
color
clarity

Moonstone questions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
I''d like to get a moonstone for a ring and have a few questions:

* What different colours are moonstone available in? Are there some colours that are more rare than others?
* Are there any reputable sellers of moonstone?
* I have only seen moonstone on Ebay and they are very cheap. Are there any "fake" moonstones? I am looking for a stone with an approximate diameter of 10 mm- what would be a reasonable price for such stone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are only 3 types of moonstone that I know off:
1. Blue sheen
2. Rainbow moonstone (multicoloured sheen)
3. Cat’s eye moonstone.

I believe the rainbow moonstone is quite rare. A strongly blue sheen moonstone (viewed without a black backing) of large size is also difficult to find and can run into the hundreds and thousands of dollars. A moonstone with little sheen costs only in the tens of dollars range. ACS sometimes carries moonstones. I think AJS and theGemTrader has them too. Fake and synthetic moonstones are plentiful. Pricing will depend on the quality of the moonstone you are looking for..

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 8:35:59 AM
Author: Chrono

There are only 3 types of moonstone that I know off:
1. Blue sheen
2. Rainbow moonstone (multicoloured sheen)
3. Cat’s eye moonstone.

I believe the rainbow moonstone is quite rare. A strongly blue sheen moonstone (viewed without a black backing) of large size is also difficult to find and can run into the hundreds and thousands of dollars. A moonstone with little sheen costs only in the tens of dollars range. ACS sometimes carries moonstones. I think AJS and theGemTrader has them too. Fake and synthetic moonstones are plentiful. Pricing will depend on the quality of the moonstone you are looking for..
Thanks Chrono! I am mainly interested in a greyish stone which could look good with diamonds in white and "brown". I will check the websites you recommended.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I just got a couple of pieces of moonstone rough the other day. It is common moonstone though. Nothing spectacular. It has a nice sheen but its pretty plain. I would think this would be cheap and readily available.

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 9:08:59 AM
Author: Revolution
I just got a couple of pieces of moonstone rough the other day. It is common moonstone though. Nothing spectacular. It has a nice sheen but its pretty plain. I would think this would be cheap and readily available.
Do you have any pictures?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono - isn''t there an orange version as well?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD,
I have not seen any orange ones. Does it have only an orange sheen or is it mixed with other colours? You aren’t confusing this with a rainbow moonstone, right?

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I haven''t cut it yet and I am trying to get my camera working agin. Let me see if I can post a pic of it tonight.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/5/2010 9:51:38 AM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Here:

http://www.icollector.com/1-5ct-Nice-Natural-Orange-Moonstone-Oval-GMR-0313_i8781061

The ones I''ve seen are a block orange (rather than with a luminescence). I''ve never bought one but have seen them.
Ooh! You are absolutely correct; I’ve completely forgotten about these. I call them honey moonstones since they have that golden brown colour. Are they really rare as stated by that website? I don''t think they have much luminescence as well.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No they''re not rare! They''re sold on shopping channels so they''re about as rare as Topaz lol!

Helen@NSC

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 10:00:26 AM
Date: 1/5/2010 9:51:38 AM

Author: LovingDiamonds

Here:

http://www.icollector.com/1-5ct-Nice-Natural-Orange-Moonstone-Oval-GMR-0313_i8781061

The ones I''ve seen are a block orange (rather than with a luminescence). I''ve never bought one but have seen them.

Ooh! You are absolutely correct; I’ve completely forgotten about these. I call them honey moonstones since they have that golden brown colour. Are they really rare as stated by that website? I don''t think they have much luminescence as well.

They''re not particularly rare: you can find black, grey, white and cream moonstones with a similarly opaque quality. I''ve seen a few pinks as well, but those seem more unusual. When they''re not included, they can have a subtle elegance to them that''s quite appealing.

Kashmira, in terms of rarity, blue adularescence on a translucently white stone is at the top of the list. There are also some lovely translucent green moonstones with a greyish sheen out there that might look nice with the design that you have in mind ....

Liane

Brilliant_Rock

I believe the rainbow moonstone is quite rare.

It depends how you''re defining "rainbow moonstone." Labradorite with a grayish body color and rainbow sheen is very common and very inexpensive, particularly since it''s usually heavily included. It''s often sold as "rainbow moonstone." I have a whole lot of costume jewelry with labradorite, and while it''s fun, it''s not something I get a lot of wear out of anymore.

The best/most expensive moonstones are white with strong blue adularescence, as has been said. Other colors (brown, black, gray, pinkish, cream) are common and pretty cheap.

I wore a moonstone ring daily in high school and it got scratched to hell pretty fast, so I would definitely recommend babying your hands if you plan to wear a moonstone in a ring.

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 10:40:53 AM
Author: Liane

I believe the rainbow moonstone is quite rare.

It depends how you''re defining ''rainbow moonstone.'' Labradorite with a grayish body color and rainbow sheen is very common and very inexpensive, particularly since it''s usually heavily included. It''s often sold as ''rainbow moonstone.'' I have a whole lot of costume jewelry with labradorite, and while it''s fun, it''s not something I get a lot of wear out of anymore.

The best/most expensive moonstones are white with strong blue adularescence, as has been said. Other colors (brown, black, gray, pinkish, cream) are common and pretty cheap.

I wore a moonstone ring daily in high school and it got scratched to hell pretty fast, so I would definitely recommend babying your hands if you plan to wear a moonstone in a ring.
Oh if it scratches very easily I might give this a second thought...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, the rainbow moonstones I am referring to have a very clear body, almost transparent. I also have rainbow moonstone earrings which are translucent and very clean. You can see right through it from the top and side. I agree though that moonstones require gentle handling.

rmn8.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 12:03:47 PM
No, the rainbow moonstones I am referring to have a very clear body, almost transparent. I also have rainbow moonstone earrings which are translucent and very clean. You can see right through it from the top and side. I agree thought that moonstones require gentle handling.
That is one pretty moonstone Chrono! Almost looks like an opal. The color play on moonstones is external and not internal though, I''m assuming. Please correct me if I''m wrong.
1.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
D&J Rare Gems has some moonstones available. The first one caught my eye because it is described as "medium gray with blue sheen."

http://www.djraregems.com/finegems.html

15345 Moonstone,
Md Gray w/ Blue Sheen, 2.51 cts fancy hexagon cut measuring 13.3x6.8x4.6 mm, v lt incl, from Tanzania. A custom cut moonstone with a strong blue sheen.
Priced at $30/carat or $75.30/gem

There are a few more on the page including a cabochon, but I''m always drawn to faceted stones over cabs, so I like the first one.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/5/2010 10:55:16 AM
Author: Kashmira

Oh if it scratches very easily I might give this a second thought...
It does scratch easily, I''m afraid. You can certainly wear it in a ring, but IMO moonstone is not suitable for daily wear (as I learned the hard way) and has to be treated with care.

Chrono, thanks for the clarification. That''s a really pretty stone.
1.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono - the colourplay is superb! WOW!

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono, that is truly a lovely stone.

Laura

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I love moonstones. They''re probably my favorite inexpensive gem. I have a small one I bought in college. It''s probably about 1.5 carats and set in a silver ring. Yeah, it''s a bit scratched up, but I can''t get too concerned about a moonstone unless it were a super premium rare one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results