shape
carat
color
clarity

Moonstone necklace

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love this necklace, but I don't wear it. It's too fancy for me. The work was done by Julia Kay Taylor, and the workmanship is beautiful. The Argentium silver chain is even handmade, not a stock chain. The stones are moonstones from Barry, except the diamonds on the pendant.

Would it be a crime to disassemble it and keep the pendant portion only? I could have it put on a simple chain, which would increase the chance that I would wear it. I am not sure what I would do with the other moonstones.

Any suggestions?

jkt_jsmsf18.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sure seems a waste to disassemble it, but so is leaving it unworn. Yes, I can see the lower part as a pendant, whilst the rest can be used as dangle earrings, re-using part of the silver chain as the dangles. If earrings are not your thing, the rest can be re-used as a silver chain bracelet with moonstones in DBTY style. Actually, you might even have sufficient length to do a set of pendant, earrings and bracelet set!

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
pregcurious|1407520974|3728672 said:
I am not sure what I would do with the other moonstones.

Any suggestions?

You could give them to me! :bigsmile: I will take very good care of them! :naughty:

Seriously, this is a georgous necklace. I think the moonstone chain can stand alone without the pendant part. I imagine the chain would look quite nice with a button-down shirt.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I just realized, I never wear necklaces. I only wear earrings and rings.

I feel so stupid sometimes, and this time is one of them.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could take the middle bit and add a chain, and add a slightly larger moonstone to the middle of the existing chain, like the rest of them, so it's simpler. I think it's really pretty....

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, I agree it's a shame. I think I would be more likely to wear the pendant. I'm glad you think that the pendant is a viable aesthetically. I have never worn a bracelet, so I hesitate because even when I imagine it with the current layout, I am not in love. A ring and earrings yes. Hmm.

Cookie, that's a nice thought about the necklace under a blouse.

Freke, that's a good idea to simplify the style. I think one of the things I have trouble with is that necklace is too fancy for my lifestyle, but the style you are suggesting is more simple. I am also considering a long (32") station necklace. I've seen a few lately and they seem to be pretty popular.

I am going to contact someone about making the changes. If it I don't wear it after these changes...well, it has some sentimental value because it was a gift from my husband. Maybe I will only keep one piece if I break this up.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1407520974|3728672 said:
I love this necklace, but I don't wear it. It's too fancy for me. The work was done by Julia Kay Taylor, and the workmanship is beautiful. The Argentium silver chain is even handmade, not a stock chain. The stones are moonstones from Barry, except the diamonds on the pendant.

Would it be a crime to disassemble it and keep the pendant portion only? I could have it put on a simple chain, which would increase the chance that I would wear it. I am not sure what I would do with the other moonstones.

Any suggestions?

I don't think it's too fancy at all. It has an understated elegance to it. I could see it with a beautiful formal dress, and I could see it with jeans and more casual wear. Really breathtaking piece.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a really pretty necklace! If my DD saw it, she'd be chomping at the bit for me to buy her one as she loves moonstone. It really is a versatile piece that you can easily dress up or down.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I think I'd like the necklace part better as earrings, myself. There are 7 small ones -- you could use 6, or 4, for earrings & save the rest for something else later. I would have one stone set in a bezel of whatever design & then the others -- 2 more or 4 more, made so they could be attached or detached depending on how fancy I wanted to get.

What a sweet present from your honey!

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your necklace. :love: I would wear it in a heartbeat but of course if you don't wear necklaces it doesn't matter how beautiful it is.

Rather than being unworn I would either 1. sell it and buy something you will be over the moon for (get it haha, over the moon) :cheeky: or 2. make it into something you will love and wear. If you or your dh are sentimental that way do what feels right.

Or if you think you might change your mind and wear it occasionally then it might be worth keeping as is. As we all know our preferences change with our moods and what might not be appealing at this time might be totally something we are in love with next year.

In any case what a lovely gift from your dh and I know whatever you figure out will be a good option!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
This is a statement piece, just really beautiful. I love the mystique of moonstones (and I live in a perpetual world of gray) and was lucky to find a station necklace with smaller moonstones and diamonds. It looks good with a suit, or jeans. I wear it all the time. If you decide you do want to use all those moonstones, I'm happy to post a photo if it might give you other ideas.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
RandG, I would love to see a picture of your station necklace. I emailed someone about doing exactly that with the small ovals.

TL, thanks for the complement. The only jewelry I wear is my wedding set (plain YG band OR yellow diamond halo with white diamond eternity). Ironic as I love gem stones, but I don't like how I have set these, and the others I have never set.

JewelFreke, that's a good idea for earrings.

JoCoJenn, I love moonstones too. They are really lovely, and I have a soft spot for them. They are not very expensive (relative to diamond/sapphire/ruby/emerald), but it can be difficult to find nice stones, especially for a set.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1407604599|3729234 said:
RandG, I would love to see a picture of your station necklace. I emailed someone about doing exactly that with the small ovals.

TL, thanks for the complement. The only jewelry I wear is my wedding set (plain YG band OR yellow diamond halo with white diamond eternity). Ironic as I love gem stones, but I don't like how I have set these, and the others I have never set.

JewelFreke, that's a good idea for earrings.

JoCoJenn, I love moonstones too. They are really lovely, and I have a soft spot for them. They are not very expensive (relative to diamond/sapphire/ruby/emerald), but it can be difficult to find nice stones, especially for a set.

Then you should sell it to the highest bidder, I'm sure they'll be bidding wars as its very beautiful and the workmanship is top notch. I would hate to break up such a gorgeous piece of artwork, because to me that's exactly what that necklace is.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Ovals would be pretty!

Please excuse my terrible photos. I don't know if I fully captured the spirit of this necklace, but I hope you get a general idea of how to possibly use your moonstones in another way.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
RandG, that is stunning. Could you tell me who makes it and/or where you found it?

TL, that is tempting, but the cost of the necklace is quite high. I would probably sell it at a loss. I like the pendant portion, but not the whole piece. The design was as collaboration with Julia, not a ready made piece, and I collected the stones over a few years as gifts from my husband.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Against a black surface, they are grey at center and get more silvery grey towards the edges. In the light, they are more of that silvery grey. I have a regular DBTY necklace, but I wanted something more substantial that didn't feel quite so delicate. Does that make sense? It's a really well made chain and can detach into two shorter chains. I wear it doubled, nice and long.

I love the blue hue in your stones. Very rich!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer it as a pendant with simple chain as well -even though as a necklace it is beautiful.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
RandG, that makes sense. The moonstones on your station necklace are have a substantial impact because of their depth and face up size. Plus, they are cabochons, which have a different substance to them than faceted stones. I feel like with faceted stones, one focuses on their crown, or face up surface.

LisaRN, you must be my jewelry twin. I remember you posted about not buying gemstones anymore in another thread of mine, and I feel the same. I'm going through the exercise of really examining if I where things, and why/why not.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG|1407606759|3729247 said:
Ovals would be pretty!

Please excuse my terrible photos. I don't know if I fully captured the spirit of this necklace, but I hope you get a general idea of how to possibly use your moonstones in another way.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Absolutely gorgeous necklace, reminds me of a Renaissance piece.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
That necklace is beautiful, a work of art. At the same time, I recognize the dilemma. I've had a few co-created pieces that turned out beautifully, that I just didn't wear. I've brutally dissembled them, when I've liked the stones and had them made into something more wearable, for me.

Good luck deciding and finding a wearable solution. =) Although it can be a conundrum, on the other hand I sometimes think it's the fun of this hobby, to be able to have something made, wear it and then know your own preference better. Kind of an iterative process, always ending up with something closer to one's own heart.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That necklace is AMAZING!

Could you remove the pendant and get another moonstone to replace the area where you had it removed to make it a moonstone by the yard style necklace? That way you could still sell the necklace and keep the pendant OR turn it into dangle earrings or a bracelet?

I love it as it is but if it's not getting worn and you'd wear it the other way then to the chopping block it should go. If I don't wear my jewelery I can't afford to hoard it all. I had a sapphires by the yard necklace and that was swapped out for a diamond bezel pendant which I now wear daily. Life is to short to have stuff sit in the box waiting for the right occasion to wear it :)

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I would wear it as is - as others have said, it's a gorgeous statement piece.

But if it's not "you," I'd have a very competent jeweler do 2 things:
1) Take off the large focal piece and turn it into a pendant you could wear on any simple chain
2) Take off the moonstone that's at the end of the chain and put it in the center where the large "pendant" piece is

That way you have 2 simpler necklaces to enjoy. You could even sell the reconstructed station necklace if you don't think you'll wear it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results