shape
carat
color
clarity

Montana Sapphire, What to do with it?

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hello everybody! I bought this from Dana a while ago, being such a newbie to colored stones I had no business buying it but Dana has such a great reputation here I felt comfortable and was not disappointed, he is such a nice guy. I had thought to have this set in a bezeled necklace setting but after seeing a recent thread about another montana where it was advised not to bezel it I am having a change of heart, I am still thinking necklace or maybe rhr? I love vintage settings but something about this stones steely tone says to me hammered metal or? Not such a vintage look :(( But I just loved it and love the idea of where it came from, any ideas would be great!

now to the stone, this is Danas description, it's from the Rock creek mine Montana, USA 1.46 carat round VS2 fine blue with tint of green.

Here are the pics, please excuse them, this forum appears to be full of expert photographers and I am mediocre at best, I found this to be much harder to get a decent pic of compared to diamonds but think they are a good example of the color. I need to buy one of those grabber thingys, it is near impossible to not get fingerprints on it :rolleyes:

Thanks for looking!

rsz_1rsz_img_2100.jpg

rsz_1rsz_img_2104.jpg

rsz_1rsz_img_2097.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Your photos look good to me!

I am very fond of Montana sapphires, and actually bought a set of small ones from Dana last year, which I had bezel set in a silver bracelet with a hammered silver finish by Jill Anish:

il_430xN.173192405.jpg

Here's what they looked like before they were set:

21893.jpg

Personally, I think you're on the right track!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I just love Montana sapphires. That steely cool color appeals to me so much!

Try holding the stone in your fingers so the pavilion is covered & you can see just the top of it, in varying lights -- that will give you an idea of what it would look like in a bezel setting. If you like the look, you're ready to go. If you think that darkens it too much, maybe a prong setting would be something to consider.

Hard to suggest anything not knowing whether you want other stones w/it, what color metal, or what your price range might be, but if you like vintage settings, something of this sort from eBay could work. Michael E. (Gemshoppe) also has some very pretty settings, both bezel & prong - with or without side stones or pave.

--- Laurie

P.S. Aoife's bracelet is one of my faves of all time!

Image1.jpg

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Aoife! I love your bracelet! I remember seeing it and I think that is why I feel the hammered metal is so perfect for these stones, it is such a striking piece.

Jewelfreak, Thank you for the suggestion, I did that and it did darken a little, not too much and it did not seem to lose any sparkle so maybe I should not disregard that idea all together but then I looked at Michael Es site and I see he has so much more on there then before, yikes! I do not do well with too many options!!!

As for budget the cheaper the better, I think the whiteflash bezel I was looking at was on sale for 199. But it was not exactly what I wanted, something about it made me think of a socket for a wrench set, I like the miligrain ones better and I like white metals. probably around the 500 - 600 range but if something was perfect sad to say I am easily led astray.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i too like Montana sapphires. i like the setting for the ring that is posted above.

MoZo

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results