shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixed Colour Combo: Is this IT?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone is probably already tired of my wishywashiness in trying to find the perfect side stones to go with my tsavorite, so please bear with me another time. :saint:

I'd taken your collective advice to heart and abandoned the red+green combo because it just wasn't me. The colours seemed too strong and "combative". Moving on, I managed to find a pair of 5 mm round pink spinels and was all set to pull out my wallet later tonight. It so happened that I wanted to pick out a different ring to wear tomorrow so I stopped by the bank to do my exchange and instead saw a pair of hot pink/purple rhodolites in there. They were passed down to me from my mother as earring studs but are too small for me to wear. However, the colour is a screaming hot pinkish purple during the day and reddish purple at night and the measurement is also just perfect at 5x4 mm. There's no question they are native cuts but the colour is amazing and the crown is practically 1/3 of the total depth.

So please be kind about the cut as I understand they are lacking, but they make up for it with their eye popping saturation. I'd like your opinion on this colour combo. Note that the colour does shift a little from indoors to outdoors.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indoor setting
pinkgreen1.jpg

Outdoor setting
pinkgreen2.jpg

Sorry for this horribly poor picture
pinkgreen3.jpg

Just the rhodolites alone. They are actually very well matched but my camera doesn't show that at all.
rhodolite.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I think you've got it! The unifying factor is the blue undertone so I think you should set it in a color that will pull that out. White gold I think.

Wonderful! :appl:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Umm, native cut where? I can't get past the color they look magnificent and I agree with Ilander that they work because of the blue element. Be careful that they don't outshine that Tsav!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Well. These are acceptable.
I disagree still that red and green are combative and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise....in the octagon!

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, oh, oh. Yes. That would be it! And with a color combo like that, who on earth is going to notice the cut? :appl: :appl: :appl:

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
LIKING IT.

The cut on the rhodolites is just understated enough to leave the Tsav as the star. The colors match in intensity so balance well, I think. Shapes and sizes...well, I think it was meant to be.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color goes great with the tsavorite, but aren't they a bit too large for the stone? I would want stones half the size of just one of thos rhodolites, otherwise, it doesn't appear to look balanced. Those are beautiful rhodolites, hard to believe they're rhodolites since the color is so intense. Your mom has great taste! I think the length is okay on the rhodolites, but the width is a bit wide.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the colors are amazing together and it would have sentimental value, as well.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
this is the best match by far C, and I like the idea that they are all garnets.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
Best combo I've seen, hands down.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
This colour combination is very pretty together. Which way will you set the flanking stones ?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Chrono, if you described those colors, I'd say, ehhh...but seeing them, they're great! Unusual combination & lively. They'll make a big ring but smashing.

--- Laurie

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I like this combo the best, how are you going to set it, side stones slightly slanted?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, ladies and gents. I’m glad you all think this combo is much better than my previous considerations and appreciate your comments. Even if you disagree, I’d like to hear that too so don’t worry about hurting my feelings. As for the native cutting, trust me, it’s very primitive. The steps are uneven and blocky, and one of the stone’s table isn’t even a rectangle but a trapezoid. With the cutting being plain, it allows the colour to pop in contrast to the very brilliant and flashy tsavorite.

VapidLapid,
Psst…don’t worry; these turn reddish under fluorescent lighting so I still get the red + green combo at times. These seem a better fit than the spinels though because of their blue undertones, even when showing the red side.

TL,
I can’t believe you actually want smaller side stones? Are you feeling a little warm or out of sorts? :naughty:

Chamois and LG,
I haven’t decided which way to orientate the stones. My initial thought was the long side N/S to give the ring.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono

Oh dear - voice of doom here!

I love both colours BUT when I looked at your photos, I focussed only on the side stones and NOT the Tsav. That to me indicates that they're too strong and again, combative. If you want your Tsav to really stand out (and I'm assuming you do), the side stones need to be darker and less vibrant. Sorry :blackeye:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono said:
Thank you, ladies and gents. I’m glad you all think this combo is much better than my previous considerations and appreciate your comments. Even if you disagree, I’d like to hear that too so don’t worry about hurting my feelings. As for the native cutting, trust me, it’s very primitive. The steps are uneven and blocky, and one of the stone’s table isn’t even a rectangle but a trapezoid. With the cutting being plain, it allows the colour to pop in contrast to the very brilliant and flashy tsavorite.

VapidLapid,
Psst…don’t worry; these turn reddish under fluorescent lighting so I still get the red + green combo at times. These seem a better fit than the spinels though because of their blue undertones, even when showing the red side.

TL,
I can’t believe you actually want smaller side stones? Are you feeling a little warm or out of sorts? :naughty:

Chamois and LG,
I haven’t decided which way to orientate the stones. My initial thought was the long side N/S to give the ring.

Well, I think the size has something to do with what LD said, that the color is overpowering the tsavorite. Although I like how the hot pink compliments the tsavorite, I think smaller stones would be more appropriate so you wouldn't see so much pink. Either smaller stones of hot pink, or a lighter shade of pink and not so vibrant, if you want to go with larger stones. I have been looking at Leon's site, and I don't see side stones that large for a center stone, so there is some proportionality I see lacking here. For example, and I'm not saying you should do this with your rhodolites, but if you sawed one stone into four quarters or sawed the stone lengthwize down the middle, and made side stones out of those, that would be more proportional. I really would like to see the side stones one quarter of the size of the one rhodolite since the color is so intense.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See what I mean?

When they're smaller, they're not overpowering the tsav so much. It's like looking at someone with a beautiful face, but huge ears, what do you notice first?

chronorecut.JPG

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
The more I look at it the more I like it. The color and the proportions. I see it as a three stone ring with one stone the major draw, but the others holding their own AND supporting the major one. And I too, like that they are then all garnets.

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono - I happen to love the "magenta" tones next to your center stone. I really like this combo!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I think its important to remember that when we are judging the proportions of C's sidestones, they are already set compared to the loose tsav..I imagine if all three were loose, the optical illusion of the gold settings adding bulk would not be so pronounced..
in other words, like VL I think the proportions can work.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
See what I mean?

When they're smaller, they're not overpowering the tsav so much. It's like looking at someone with a beautiful face, but huge ears, what do you notice first?

Now, interestingly, with the side stones paired down I see the Tsav, complimented by the side stones. TL's completely right - it's the proportionality that's off if you have such large side stones.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds said:
tourmaline_lover said:
See what I mean?

Now, interestingly, with the side stones paired down I see the Tsav, complimented by the side stones. TL's completely right - it's the proportionality that's off if you have such large side stones.

I think the rhodolite settings, and to an extent the photography (sorry C, you knows I love ya :bigsmile:) , are playing a decent part here.
Just my 0.02 ::)

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a combo that works. They are opposites on the color wheel so they will seem to pop when side by side.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Just love the colour combo Chrono. To think you were sitting on these the whole time!

Usually, things that are out of proportion jump out at me straight away. These didn't, and whereas you do have some scope to re-cut them if you want to, you certainly don't have to as far as I'm concerned. What size is your finger?

I think this is going to turn out very well for you. Kudos to you for not compromising. :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went out this afternoon to try to take pictures of the 3 stone again, this time with only consideration for the proportions, so please excuse the horrible colours that you see. I had to contort my fingers this and that way to attempt to have all 3 stones facing at the same angle to reduce any optical illusion that might play up. Not only that, I had no choice but to put the poor tsavorite into the stone holder to simulate it being set in prongs as well.

I do not want to recut these at all as they have sentimental value to me. I feel bad enough to remove the rhodolites from the earring settings but I prefer to wear these than having them languish in my box.

Gailey,
I have size 4.5 fingers.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here’s the best proportion picture I am able to take. It takes too much coordination to hold all 3 stones together due to the earrings already being set.
Proportion1.jpg
Proportion2.jpg
Proportion3.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best attempt at holding up all 3 stones together as closely and evenly as possible.
Proportion4.jpg
Proportion5.jpg
Proportion6.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results