shape
carat
color
clarity

Might have found "the one"... Help me decide!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
As some of you may recall, I was looking for a pale purple/lavender stone for an e-ring, and thought I had settled on Spinel as my species of choice. I made a few eBay purchases to get a feel for colour in hand, and everything I found reinforced what I thought I wanted (I found a stone of perfect colour, but not quite the shape or size I wanted. I also felt like spending $11 on my e-ring stone without any input from SO would be a bit weird, so the hunt continued...).

As far as ring style goes, I kept waffling between the idea of a halo-ed stone, bezel, or a tapered french cut band a la Leon or Victor Canera. I loved James Meyer's pieces, but since he doesn't work with customers stones any longer, I had dismissed the idea assuming he wouldn't have stones that fit my category. Then while browsing, I saw a ring he listed that I LOVED (http://www.jamesmeyerjewelry.com/pieces/1418.htm :love: ), but after emailing him discovered that the ring has too much width to be sized appropriately for me.

I was sad, but he sent me some photos of a stone he thought would make up a nicely proportioned solitaire for me, and while it isn't quite what I thought I was looking for, I really like it! Since SO and I both love the platform bezel rings that James creates we are thinking of taking a trip to visit James and the stone, and decide whether it is the one for us!!

Here are the photos that James sent me... what do you think? James described it as a lavender-purple sapphire but it looks quite blue in these photos. If it has some more violet tones in person it will be a pleasant surprise. There's also a photo of the ring style he suggested, with tiny diamonds on the side.

What are your thoughts? I really love the stone (I got a happy giddy feeling when I first opened the photos), but I want to get some second opinions to make sure I'm not just over-reacting to the possibility of having JM make my ring, and being done with the search. As much fun as it's been, it is stressful! I'll of course ask about treatments and certification, and do my best to see how it performs in different lights... Any other questions I should ask while I'm there?

stone1.jpg

stone2.jpg

ring1.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I can't think of any questions to ask, but I think that stone is really pretty, especially if it has lavender/violet aspects, and I think it would look gorgeous in that setting! Here's to hoping it all falls into place for you!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not entirely sure what colour you're looking for so I'm going to tell you what I see in the photo. I see a blue stone with lots and lots of grey. I don't see lavender or purple. Now, this may be different in real life but I've been repeatedly disappointed when looking for lavender/blue/purple when a grey stone turns up. Grey makes a stone look very cold to me and I don't personally like it as I generally prefer warmer stones. If the greyness doesn't bother you then go for it.

kt

Shiny_Rock
Personally I think it's hard to tell cuz of the background color...maybe he could show it on a lighter background? But if you're seeing it in person that will be the best judge!

waitforthat

Rough_Rock
Like you, I don't see the violet either, but I also think that background is effecting the way the color photographs and it might look really different in real life.

That setting, on the other hand, is really gorgeous! I hope you find the stone you are looking for, I think a violet stone would look really lovely in that setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pros about the spinel cushion in question:

Nice medium tone
It's a cushion which is a favored shape around here
No window
High crown which lends itself to added sparkle

Cons

A bit too grey for my taste, but some people like a greyer stone
Not precision cut which a lot of people adore in spinels, but you may not care.
Price - I'm betting its very expensive if it comes from James. Truth be told, you can find that color for less.

I know he won't set other people's stones, so if you're hooked on a JM ring, you might have to fork over the extra $$$ for that one.

The lavender spinel ring was beautiful, but the stone was rather grey, and again, some people like that. It's up to you.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Going to see it in person is a really good idea. The stone looks a bit gray but with that background & only 2 photos, it's very hard to tell how it is IRL. As everybody says, whether or not some gray bothers you is strictly personal -- your description of your reaction when you saw the pic says a lot. Some dig it, some don't -- and it may not look that way when you see it. If James says it shows some violet, I'll bet it does, at least in certain lights. Once you get there, he may have other stones that turn you on even more -- can't do better than a James Meyer ring in any event!

Good luck & please post after your visit with James, want to hear ALL about it! Wish i could come along in your pocket.

--- Laurie

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the helpful feedback everyone!! I don't think grey bothers me, as I tend not to notice it in stones unless it's REALLY exaggerated, or unless someone explicitly points it out to me. That said, I do hope that in this stone it is partly due to the background coming through a light tone.

This particular stone is actually a sapphire. I was favouring spinels due to the higher likelihood of finding a pinkish purple colour, and the sparkle factor but sapphire is my birthstone, and I do like the idea of it being a bit harder. That said, it sucks to be looking at sapphires post - William & Kate, since it's definitely not helping the price point issue.

I'll definitely post after we visit! Hopefully I'll be able to get some good photos. Regardless of the outcome, I'm excited to meet James Meyer, and see his studio!!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking for a pale purple/lavender stone for an e-ring, and thought I had settled on Spinel as my species of choice.

The stone is nothing like your stated preference and in fact I'm disappointed that a vendor of JM's reputation would send out this photo. I would not be spending any money to fly anywhere based on this without asking for better/hand photos.

OTOH, it does seem as though you are in love with a JM ring and are therefore may be willing to compromise on the stone. It would also seem that is indeed the decision you need to make:
1) JM ring with any old blueish stone he can dig up
2) Hold out for a stone you'll love for the rest of your life (or at least the foreseeable future :)) )

I would also be asking if JM has any other (blueish) stones for you to look at or whether your trip is going to be all about committing to his ring and this one stone. As a reminder, other jewellers are capable of producing something along the lines of this style of ring if you decide you would rather hold out for a stone you love and not be tied to one jeweller before finding the gem. However you do say that the grey doesn't worry you that much so perhaps that's a good thing. :))

This may sound harsh and if so, I'm sorry, I certainly don't mean to offend. Others have been somewhat more diplomatic, I'm just trying to inject a little reality by reducing the options to the barest minimum.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Starzin, thanks for your frank reply. This is why I posted- because I figured I was prone to overlooking drawbacks in light of my excitement.

I must admit, when I got the photo I was a bit perplexed that he sent it to me given my stated preference, but I decided to go see it based on the fact that I had a happy reaction to the stone nonetheless. Luckily, JM is within drivable distance from us, so we are turning it into a nice excuse for a weekend road trip. We were going to have him send the stone to us, but decided that if we go, we can see more of his work in person and hopefully take a look at other stones he has in his inventory. I've already made SO promise to hold me back from doing anything rash. :cheeky:

My SO is the younger of two brothers, and for cultural reasons we've decided to wait for his older brother to get engaged before we do (within reason- his brother thinks that by the end of the year he and his SO will be engaged). The bright side is that means we still have lots of time to finalize details without any pressure, so we've agreed to go visit, but not commit to anything while we're there.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Petit Bijou - I'm so pleased you will see the stone. People see colours very differently and your description of what you want may have been interpreted VERY differently by the receiver. This happens all the time so I'm not perpexled by it.

What I would say is that typically gemstones are best represented on a grey background (albeit slightly less grey than the one pictured above) BUT even taking that into account, that stone has a lot of grey.

I'm glad you're taking your time because I'm sure you'll find something beautiful if this isn't the one.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin, thanks for your frank reply. This is why I posted- because I figured I was prone to overlooking drawbacks in light of my excitement.
Thank you petit_bijou for taking my comments in the spirit they were meant :))

It's good then that JM is only a drive away and that you have SO's promise of restraint :lol: Hopefully you will have a lovely time at JM and an enjoyable few days away...well done! Maybe it would even be an idea to take something (paint sample even) of the colour you would really like an then if this one doesn't suit, JM can keep an eye out for you as well.

We realise it can be frustrating when the search seems to take forever but with the decision to wait for your FBIL to 'go first' you now have the luxury of taking your time...enjoy the hunt :))

Just to keep the interest up there are a couple of greyish-blue-lavender-pink spinels here for your perusal http://mineralminers.com/html/spigems.stm

Do let us know what you thought when you've seen it!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again for your feedback and encouragement, ladies. I really appreciate it!

I think another factor that is playing into my wavering on colour preference is the fact that I already wear a LOT of pale purple/lilac/lavender. Part of me thinks I could go more blue for the e-ring, and continue to play with lilac and lavender colours for other pieces and not have them compete for attention with an e-ring of a similar colour. The other thing I am trying to avoid is a colour that looks too amethyst-y. I love amethyst too, but want either more blue, or more pink than the "purple" I associate with amethyst.

Haha, the more I try and articulate what I think I want, the more I can't decide. :roll: There are definitely days that I want to just delegate the entire project to SO and let him surprise me!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I think you're really looking for a blue stone with purple undertones???? That explains why you like the blue look of the JM stone. I think it also makes sense to have something that stands out from your "normal" and allows you to wear your everyday other colour rings as RHR.

Looking at this logically, most dark pink/dark lavender/purple stones will have an amethysty look to them (or could be mistaken for one). If you go for a blue stone with purple tones that's less likely to happen. If you look at Simply Sapphires, they have quite a few blue sapphires that have a lot of purple. You may like them? I realise this is much darker than the one you've originally linked to but it takes my breath away! How about something like this http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagespurple2006/purplecns612a-sm.html They are calling it a purple sapphire but many people would call this blue. I don't think this is too amethysty.

If I were you, you sound like a lady with definite likes/dislikes (despite wavering on this project) and so if I were you, I'm not sure I'd leave it to your SO. ;))

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
LD said:
...but it takes my breath away! How about something like this http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagespurple2006/purplecns612a-sm.html They are calling it a purple sapphire but many people would call this blue. I don't think this is too amethysty.

Oh. Oh. Oh. Now THAT's a purple sapphire!!! :love: I second everything you just said about this LD.
I also agree with the thoughts that a lavender/purple may be taken for an amethyst unless more on the pink side, but something like this stands out from both amethyst and sapphire.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PB: :wavey:

I haven't really weighed in on your thread cause I felt like you are in good hands, and despite your having some good, fundamental questions for yourself, I agree with LD that it sounds like you have a clear idea of your likes and dislikes.

But LD posted that saph, and now I must weigh in to agree that it is a beauty and IMHO would give you everything you might want - 1) a beautiful blue/purple; 2) something different than your pink/lilac/violet color palate; 3) enough purple in it so that it will complement your color palate, while not looking like an amethyst.

Good luck to you.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
I would also point out that LD's selection is a very good price for that size, clarity and colour. As something of a comparison, take a look at the two on the left of the third line here http://johndyergems.com/search_catalog.pl

Remember we can always help you find the setting of your dreams if you choose to buy the gem outside of JM.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
LD|1329169906|3125565 said:
Actually, I think you're really looking for a blue stone with purple undertones???? That explains why you like the blue look of the JM stone. I think it also makes sense to have something that stands out from your "normal" and allows you to wear your everyday other colour rings as RHR.

Looking at this logically, most dark pink/dark lavender/purple stones will have an amethysty look to them (or could be mistaken for one). If you go for a blue stone with purple tones that's less likely to happen. If you look at Simply Sapphires, they have quite a few blue sapphires that have a lot of purple. You may like them? I realise this is much darker than the one you've originally linked to but it takes my breath away! How about something like this http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagespurple2006/purplecns612a-sm.html They are calling it a purple sapphire but many people would call this blue. I don't think this is too amethysty.

If I were you, you sound like a lady with definite likes/dislikes (despite wavering on this project) and so if I were you, I'm not sure I'd leave it to your SO. ;))

LD, you hit the nail on the head!! :appl: Thank you so much for deconstructing my uncertainties!! That sapphire is BEAUTIFUL :love: , and I will definitely be sending the link to SO for his opinion.

You're right about leaving it to my SO- he (and in fact most people who know me reasonably well) knows I have particular taste, so the idea of taking on the task of finding me a "forever" ring terrified him. Now that I feel like I understand my "wish list" a lot better, I have some renewed energy to find the perfect components for a ring. I think we'll still go visit JM, but the SS stone is a strong contender!!

Starzin, You should see my wish list on eBay for pale purple/pink spinels!! Now that LD has decoded my wishes I don't feel as pressured to find the "perfect" lavender, and can keep enjoying their subtleties as separate fun pieces.

Minous, thank you so much for weighing in! It's so helpful to get everyone's feedback. I'm so glad I posted!!

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Well... I'm really glad I posted for some opinions before going ahead with anything. SO and I were hoping to take a trip to see JM this weekend, but he will be out of town himself, so now we are trying to reschedule. In the meantime, I asked him for some additional photos of the stone, and it definitely isn't how I pictured it when I mentally subtracted the grey slate background. :sick:

I don't think it's hideous by any means, but it put a bit of a damper on the feeling I had when I first saw it. I was definitely hoping for more purple. Thoughts?

I also asked him if he had anything else in his inventory that fit the description of my re-worked wish-list (more saturated, and more blue with purple undertones, as opposed to a pale pink-y purple), but he didn't address that question in his reply.

Now I am leaning towards having a few Simply Sapphire stones sent to us to evaluate in-hand, as there are a few that I am very intrigued by, and then reconciling with the idea that a JM ring may not be in the cards for an e-ring.

stone white.jpg

stone hand.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
petit_bijou|1329348238|3127002 said:
I don't think it's hideous by any means, but it put a bit of a damper on the feeling I had when I first saw it. I was definitely hoping for more purple. Thoughts?

This says it all for me. You don't need anyone's thoughts. What if we all said it was the most beautiful stone we ever saw? Do you really want to describe your ER as having a stone you don't think is hideous? I really don't mean that in a snide way. Sometimes we get so caught up in the moment that we don't see the obvious, and I would hate for you to make that mistake - I know I have!

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
MB said:
Do you really want to describe your ER as having a stone you don't think is hideous?

LOL! Sorry but it did make me laugh and no it's not snide, again it's just trying to help define things.

petit said:
...but it put a bit of a damper on the feeling I had when I first saw it. I was definitely hoping for more purple. Thoughts?

Frankly again? Give it a miss. You can do better.

We sort of have a colour range, now do we have a size and budget for this e-gem?

...but he didn't address that question in his reply.

Now I am leaning towards having a few Simply Sapphire stones sent to us to evaluate in-hand, as there are a few that I am very intrigued by, and then reconciling with the idea that a JM ring may not be in the cards for an e-ring.

Do it.

As I said in an earlier post, their are many talented designers/jewellers/vendors known to the PSers - we can find/create a ring you will love but in my opinion the stone it cradles has a starring role and should talk to you every time you look at it. :))

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
petit_bijou|1329348238|3127002 said:
Well... I'm really glad I posted for some opinions before going ahead with anything. SO and I were hoping to take a trip to see JM this weekend, but he will be out of town himself, so now we are trying to reschedule. In the meantime, I asked him for some additional photos of the stone, and it definitely isn't how I pictured it when I mentally subtracted the grey slate background. :sick:

I also asked him if he had anything else in his inventory that fit the description of my re-worked wish-list (more saturated, and more blue with purple undertones, as opposed to a pale pink-y purple), but he didn't address that question in his reply.

I guess I understand the liability, but it stinks when an artisan won't use someone's own stone, and you're forced to take a stone from their inferior inventory just to get a ring from them. He used to accept other people's stones, and I wonder what happened to change his mind, as I think he would have more business that way. Oh well.

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Minous and Starzin, thanks for not letting me make excuses for it. I guess I knew when I got the second batch of photos that that particular stone at least was definitely out of the running :(sad .

TL, I agree that it's too bad he doesn't work with outside stones anymore... too bad we're all at the mercy of his prerogative!

Do you guys have suggestions for people who else makes a delicate bezel? Granted, if I do go with the purple sapphire, I don't know that I would want to bezel it...

A departure from the JM styles, but I also like the idea of the purple sapphire in a 5 stone like LittleSparkle's ring, or Leon's half-moon and tapered bullets setting. I am pretty sure I don't want a halo or too much pave.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bad-pricescoper-fantastic-avc-lm-creation.161471/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bad-pricescoper-fantastic-avc-lm-creation.161471/[/URL]

http://artofplatinum.com/vault/five-stone-ring-settings

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Starzin|1329376365|3127268 said:
We sort of have a colour range, now do we have a size and budget for this e-gem?

Total budget is between $5000 and $6000, and an introductory email to John at Simply Sapphires suggests that I am open to make an offer for the sapphire (in response to a question about the banner for their January 25% off sale still showing up as I browsed around)... so if that ends up being "the" stone, I would have $3000 - $4000 left over for setting.

I have NO idea whether that is sufficient for the Leon rings I just posted to, but I'm not hung up on the "Leon" factor, I just like the aesthetic of the layouts (and of course, the delicious claw prongs).

*ETA* My ring size is 4.25-4.5 ish, so I think I'd like the center stone to be 6 mm diameter or larger, ideally in the 6.5-7.5 mm range. Length can be longer, just so long as the ratio doesn't get toooo big.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn away! That spinel is, ummmmmm, grey grey grey grey. So glad it's not the one for you!

When you speak with John at Simply Sapphires, talk with him about Jill Underwood - she makes some wonderful settings (some very unique) and uses many of John's stones. I think there may be a link on his website also. As my husband would say "2 birds/1 stone!"

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
A departure from the JM styles, but I also like the idea of the purple sapphire in a 5 stone like LittleSparkle's ring, or Leon's half-moon and tapered bullets setting. I am pretty sure I don't want a halo or too much pave.
Well you have a healthy budget, which is good. I like the five stones you posted and though I'm not a fan of half-moons, I love traps, shields, trilliants, baguettes or rounds - anything else really :D - and if you really want something organic there would be room for it if you made it a 3-stone with gold leaves sweeping up the sides to say, a pair of traps. I don't think I would bezel a sapphire as beautiful as that one from Simply Sapphires either...so good thinking.

Does something like this appeal? I saved it so long ago I'm not sure which thread I got it from but the file name suggests Michael E made it for Faegrace, so you could search her threads.

I think this is another and more modern version Michael did for Kizmet. The ring itself is probably not what you want for an engagement ring but it again shows that Michael does some lovely settings.

Then there's this lovely setting found at JBEG which you could reverse colour on (and still include traps if you wanted) - I've included the green version to give you an idea of what it would look like with a coloured centre.

Or you could adapt Adzia's leaf ring (Etsy). There's a million options...we just have to narrow it down a bit :D

So pleased that you've had a great response from Simply Sapphires and are looking at a couple - much better stones all round IMHO ;))

Faegrace-Michael-e.jpg

kiz-hspess3.jpg

JBEG-petal-shank.png

petal-shank.jpg

petit_bijou

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the setting ideas! They are pretty, but the first two are a bit too "swirly" for me, and for some reason marquise stones set in pairs make me think of "pac-mac" when they flank coloured stones (no offence to anyone who has this type of setting!!)

I do love the setting that athenaworth set her grandmother's aqua into ( [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/great-grandmas-aqua-reset-by-sn-queens-jewelry.172009/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/great-grandmas-aqua-reset-by-sn-queens-jewelry.172009/[/URL] ), and would love to modify it slightly by adding a 5th "leaf" in a Cathy Waterman-esque style... I emailed the jeweller she went with to see what their thoughts (and price point) were on that particular edit.

My other more streamlined option is to go with traps/bullet sidestones. I emailed Leon, and he said he could probably do a 3-stone with a sapphire he has, and traps or bullets for under budget, so I am going to call him this week to discuss the stone he has in mind.

I'm also liking this stone from simply sapphires: http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2005/bluecns162-sm.html
It's smaller, but more budget friendly and I love the colour AND cutting. What do you more experienced eyes think?

I love the colour of the stone that LD pointed me to, but I keep wishing the cutting didn't seem to divide the stone into thirds (many more "criss-crossed" facets - yes, that's the technical term - at the ends vs. almost steplike in the middle), and the price kind of deters me from gambling on trying to do a pavillion recut... :sick:

aqua leaves.JPG

sapphire.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
petit_bijou|1329838760|3130806 said:
Thanks for the setting ideas! They are pretty, but the first two are a bit too "swirly" for me, and for some reason marquise stones set in pairs make me think of "pac-mac" when they flank coloured stones (no offence to anyone who has this type of setting!!)

I do love the setting that athenaworth set her grandmother's aqua into ( [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/great-grandmas-aqua-reset-by-sn-queens-jewelry.172009/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/great-grandmas-aqua-reset-by-sn-queens-jewelry.172009/[/URL] ), and would love to modify it slightly by adding a 5th "leaf" in a Cathy Waterman-esque style... I emailed the jeweller she went with to see what their thoughts (and price point) were on that particular edit.

My other more streamlined option is to go with traps/bullet sidestones. I emailed Leon, and he said he could probably do a 3-stone with a sapphire he has, and traps or bullets for under budget, so I am going to call him this week to discuss the stone he has in mind.

I'm also liking this stone from simply sapphires: http://www.simplysapphires.com/html/imagesblue2005/bluecns162-sm.html
It's smaller, but more budget friendly and I love the colour AND cutting. What do you more experienced eyes think?

I love the colour of the stone that LD pointed me to, but I keep wishing the cutting didn't seem to divide the stone into thirds (many more "criss-crossed" facets - yes, that's the technical term - at the ends vs. almost steplike in the middle), and the price kind of deters me from gambling on trying to do a pavillion recut... :sick:

I love Athena's setting too, it's gorgeous, and I love the additional leaves. I don't think you can go wrong putting that stone in there. As for sapphires, did you ask about the color shift, greyness in certain lighting, the tone and extinction on the gem? A single photo isn't going to tell you everything about it, so I would ask the dealer those questions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results