shape
carat
color
clarity

Mexican Labradorite stone, dropped,chipped,and "repair".

desertgem

Rough_Rock
I have a parcel of what appears to be Mexican Labradorite ( plagioclase feldspar). I cut one , intending to use as an example and do the standard ID tests for confirmation. Then as I was cleaning it from the acetone/dissolved superglue residue, I dropped it on the floor :(
I think this is the second time in many years. It took a chunk out of the edge. This was a pseudo-asscher design with angles for 12 x16 mm, and it was.

So I thought, there is still plenty of table to run tests, and then I can put the "ugly" in a dark closet. But then I thought, it should be relatively easy to repair :lol: I had to redop it for both the pavillion and the crown cuts, and small variations in the angles caused all sorts of problems, but I thought if it looks too bad, I will just recut it completely rather than partially. SO here are the photos. I just took a quicky of the damage, not intending to display to the world, so the photo is not the best by far, but we are among friends here.

16.05 x 12.10, 9.35 cts

and the repair

15.80 x 11.06, 8.75 cts

Jim

labradorite-pre.jpg

labradorite-post.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh goodness! :-o The damage is heartbreaking and difficult to view without cringing. So sorry about it but am glad you have a strong disposition that you are able to plow on, repair it and make it into something nice again.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Wow, nice save. The stone lost a lot less size than I was expecting after looking at the damage picture.

desertgem

Rough_Rock
I too was surprised by the loss ratio, but the step design on crown and girdle/pavillion was very parallel to the break. I actually had to do little to the pavillion itself, as the girdle and crown took most of the blow. I am used to stones self destructing on the lap, but when its my accident, it is worse. Actually it was a challenge, and I learned a great deal ( besides not to clean over a hard floor material ).

Jim

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results