shape
carat
color
clarity

Mexican black fire opal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
On a recent trip to Mexico, I bought on an impulse a beautiful 6.9 carats cabochon that looks like a gem black cabochon opal. It was sold to me as a black Mexican fire opal. It looks nothing like the typical orange fier opal and more like the Australian black opal, but not quite the same. It is polished on both sides and is definitely not a doublet or triplet. The play of color is amaziing. The stone looks different at different angles. There is a lot of red, and some blue, green, yellow and orange. When sunlight is shining on the stone, it looks like there is fire glowing from the inside. I have never heard of black opal from Mexico, so I don''t really know what I bought. How do I tell if the stone is natural or synthetic? I hope some of the exoerts here will chime in. Thanks.

AN

mexican-black-fire-opal2.jpg

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Hi Art. As far as I know Mexico is not producing any natural black opals. The "black" opals I have seen which came out of Mexico were fire opals (not all are orange) with either a black enameled back or a black onyx back, and looked very similar to this stone.

How much did you pay for the stone? That is often a strong indicator to it's authenticity. A natural black opal such as you picture would be quite pricey. If this stone was inexpensive, it is probably not a natural black.

It's definitely pretty though.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your reply. The cabochon is polished on both sides and the bottom also shows play of color. I do not see a seam line on th edge of the stone. I paid about a third of the price of an Australian black opal, but more than what the orange Mexican opals are going for. The stone was purchased from a store in downtown Puerta Vallarta called The Opal Mine. The manager said the company owns the mines and have been mining for opals for many years. He said deep down in the mines, they find this type of opal once in a while. But then, he can be giving me a line. I did get a certificate of authenticity which states Mexican Black fire opal, natural stone. I am having the stone tested by a local gemologist next week. If it doesn''t check out. I am returning the stone.

AN

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi,

Precious black crystal opals are found very rarely in Mexico but do exist. I own one.

That said, I think you''re wise to have your purchase checked. Be sure whatever gemologist you choose is very knowledgeable about natural opals as well as Gilson and several other man-made kinds.

On trips to tourist destinations in Mexico, including Puerto Vallarta, I''ve seen a very high percentage of man-made gems of several kinds being offered for sale as natural.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Richard M.,

Thank you very much for your reply. It makes me feel better to hear black fire opals do exist in Mexico. I have shown the stone to two knowledgeable local jewelers. The one who goes to Tucson every year said it was a gem Mexican black fire opal without me telling him anything about the stone. The second one said he has never heard of black fire opal. The store that I bought the opal from does sell doublets and triplets as such, and those have a layer of black onyx on the back. If what I have is a composite, it is done in a very clever way that I have not seen before. I am more concern that it may be one of the newer forms of synthetic. It does not look like a Gilson synthetic. Anyway, I will get the stone tested next week. If it is really a rare black Meixcan fire opal, do you know what is the fair price per carat for a 7 carat stone? Thanks.

AN

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi AN!

I'm following this thread with interest...eager to hear what your appraiser says. It sure is a beautiful stone!!
30.gif

widget

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi AN,

The stone is beautiful. I will be anxious to see what the appraiser says also. Please let us know right away.

Linda

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/6/2007 11:04:00 AM
Author: Art Nouveau
I am more concern that it may be one of the newer forms of synthetic. It does not look like a Gilson synthetic.

Most non-experts would have great difficulty telling some synthetics from naturals. Only lab tests will tell for sure. If you paid a lot of money for the stone I''d strongly recommend an ID by the GIA Gem Trade Lab.

Anyway, I will get the stone tested next week. If it is really a rare black Meixcan fire opal, do you know what is the fair price per carat for a 7 carat stone?

The retail PER CARAT price for a fine natural black multicolor crystal opal of the type in your images could be somewhere in the range of $2,000 to $6,000, depending on many factors.

Good luck!

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Richard M.,

Thanks for your good advice and information. If the gemologist at the local gem lab tells me he does not know enough to give me an answer, I will send the stone to GIA. However, before I do that, I need to find out the turn around time and how much time I have to return the stone. It is really a beautiful stone and I hope I don''t have to return it. The typical orange color fire opals do not appeal to me at all, but this stone is different. It''s almost as pretty as the Australian black opals that I saw in Sydney.

AN

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Widget and Linda W.,

Thanks for your interest in my dilema regarding the opal. I am really anxious to find out if I bought a natural stone or a synthetic and I will post as soon as I find out. If its'' real, I have a rare stone. If not, then I was a total fool. I should have known better than to buy something I don''t know anything about in a foreign country. My husabnd wanted to buy me a nice souvenir, so how can I resist?

AN

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Mexico in particular is one county where you have to be careful in regards to their truth in selling. They have none of the checks and restraints that we take for granted in the United States. It is such a poor country, fighting for survival by whatever means necessary. Many don''t even bat an eye at "stretching the truth", much less outright lying.

Rich, raised on the Mexican border

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
I sent my opal off to GIA for identification today. It will take about two weeks to get the report. The gemologist at the local gem lab said it''s not a doublet or a triplet or a Gilson synthetic, but he cannot rule out the newer form of created opal because he has not seen one. So off to GIA it went. At this point, I am expecting it to turn out to be a created opal.

AN

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2007 12:04:24 AM
Author: Art Nouveau
I sent my opal off to GIA for identification today. It will take about two weeks to get the report. The gemologist at the local gem lab said it''s not a doublet or a triplet or a Gilson synthetic, but he cannot rule out the newer form of created opal because he has not seen one. So off to GIA it went. At this point, I am expecting it to turn out to be a created opal.

AN
Oooooh....I hope you''re wrong!!!

((fingers crossed))

widget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results