shape
carat
color
clarity

Mecurial Gray Spinel E-Ring

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been drooling over the beautiful spinel e-rings I've seen on PS and I finally have my own. We got engaged August 2nd and it was a wildly romantic and surprising proposal. Lucky for me, my man knows how much fun I have picking out jewelry so he proposed with a tiny, sparkly solitaire and let me have an instant upgrade.

It's a gray, precision cut 7.5mm spinel that a couple of ladies on LT hooked me up with. Sometimes it's stormy gray, sometimes blue and sometimes plum. it has an amazing amount of sparkle and gives of blue, pink, red and white flashes from time to time. Brian Gavin set it in a platinum Eternal Grace setting and I chose a plain band to go with it. I can't say enough about how much I love the whole thing. (not as much as the man but pretty close) The melee is so sparkly and and the prongs are pretty and delicate. I was going to go with a plain (non melee) setting but I'm so glad I upgraded. My photography really doesn't do it justice and please pardon my nails.

img_1414.jpgdsc00169.jpg
dsc00173.jpgdsc00184.jpg

A glamor shot with the band: (can't wait to wear it!)
briangavin_grace_swoody2_091813.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely! Congrats on the engagement, and wear the rings in good health! :appl: :appl:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy we could make it happen! Thrilled for you and I love how you set it!

ETA: Can we get more pics?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What a neat stone. The ring is so pretty -- good choice! I'd love to see more pics in different lights -- can get a flavor from these, but more is always better!

Congratulations!

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really pretty! I love the color gray and the way you describe it sounds amazing! Also love your setting! :love:

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone! I'll try to get more pics soon.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool ring; congrats on the e-ring.

Sakag

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement! Your ring is stunning. :appl: I puffy <3 grey spinels!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
What a cool stone! Wish we could see the sparkle in person; it sounds fantastic. Congrats on your engagement! :appl:

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Just gorgeous! Love grey, plus I think that's a Barry cut? :love:
More pictures soon please!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Stunning!! :appl: :appl:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
natsplat|1380271019|3528228 said:
I think it's actually from Dana at Mastercut. Not sure though!

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1380306305|3528482 said:

Ahhh: I assumed from how the thread was going that it was one of your BB grey spinels. Should pay more attention :oops:

Beautiful stone regardless :D

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
natsplat|1380318811|3528545 said:

Ahhh: I assumed from how the thread was going that it was one of your BB grey spinels. Should pay more attention :oops:

Ah, I decided I couldn't give it up. But then I hooked her up with someone I knew who was considering selling hers. Win, win all around, I say! :twirl:

Well, it will be once we get more pics... :Up_to_something:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
You're like me, you like the stones with a lot of personality. :appl: They're almost alive, the way they shift colors, change in different environments, mutate in changing light. I love those stones, and I love yours. :love:

To me, this is the most fascinating part of PS CS, finding stones that the general public has NO idea exist and enjoying them.

Congrats, little lady, and realize you have a stone FAR more rare than an ordinary, been-done-to-death diamond.

Love it!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I finally had time to get a manicure and take some more pics!

Just like I love Aaron more every day, I love my ring more and more every day.

Thanks for all your kind words and enthusiastic responses. I get compliments on my ring all the time (more than any diamond ring I've ever had) and nobody has ever heard of a spinel. Hopefully the trend of beautiful, unique gemstones will spread.

I'm not sure who cut the gem but I love their work!

dsc00188_0.jpgdsc00283.jpghttp://www.pricescope.com/files/images/dsc00278.JPGhttp://www.pricescope.comfiles/images/dsc00243.JPG

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dsc00280.jpghttp://www.pricescope.comfiles/images/dsc00243.JPG

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dsc00205.jpgdsc00196.jpg

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dsc00290.jpgdsc00302.jpg

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dsc00246.jpgdsc00320.jpg

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
dsc00321.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Oh, that's just SO pretty! Thanks for more photos. I'm not surprised people comment -- it's different from what they're used to seeing & the setting is exactly right for it. If that were on my hand, I'd stare at it all day.

--- Laurie

P.S. I hope a taste for more unique gems does not spread. It's hard enough to beat the competition to new stones on a number of vendors' sites. You have to click in freaking nanoseconds! ;(

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1380319879|3528557 said:
natsplat|1380318811|3528545 said:

Ah, I decided I couldn't give it up. But then I hooked her up with someone I knew who was considering selling hers. Win, win all around, I say! :twirl:

Well, it will be once we get more pics... :Up_to_something:

I really do appreciate you hooking us up! I loved the ring you had listed and was a little sad you couldn't give it up but it worked out well for all of us. You got to keep the one you have, the seller got to sell one she wasn't wearing and I was the biggest winner of all because now I have this beauty!!! The whole story is a LT testimonial.

And my FI still can't remember it's called a spinel but he has a spring in his step for being able to provide my dream ring.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1380992070|3532757 said:
Oh, that's just SO pretty! Thanks for more photos. I'm not surprised people comment -- it's different from what they're used to seeing & the setting is exactly right for it. If that were on my hand, I'd stare at it all day.

--- Laurie

P.S. I hope a taste for more unique gems does not spread. It's hard enough to beat the competition to new stones on a number of vendors' sites. You have to click in freaking nanoseconds! ;(

It is hard to find a good gem! Hopefully the vendors will respond to the increased demand with more goodies! I know the gray in particular is a shift from what they normally cut but it is soooooo pretty. I know traditional gem collectors say to stay away from it but it's so very pretty and it totally eliminates any problem with extinction and allows lots of shifting in different lighting. (I also think gray goes with everything).

I liked my ring so much I decided that gray and ivory are my wedding colors. I've been calling it a 50 shades of gray wedding but I meant it literally (the color), not the kinky sex story. :saint: :saint: :saint:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iluvshinythings|1380992300|3532758 said:
And my FI still can't remember it's called a spinel but he has a spring in his step for being able to provide my dream ring.

Bravo!! :appl: :appl:

It is beautiful ring. I too have decided that good grey/silver/platinum spinels are prettier than diamonds. If you find the ones with the flashes of color, they can rival diamonds for their dispersion. I imagine people do this thing where they look down and say something like: "hmm, her grey ring is kinda interesting." and then when they turn back the stone has turned color a bit and is now light blue/lavender/grey and then they say something like: "You know, that ring is growing on me..." Finally, some bright light comes along and the stone starts flashing colors, at which point, they are grabbing at your hand, saying: "What IS that stone? I love it..." Oh the magic of spinels! :lol:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
iluvshinythings|1380992824|3532765 said:
JewelFreak|1380992070|3532757 said:

--- Laurie

It is hard to find a good gem! Hopefully the vendors will respond to the increased demand with more goodies! I know the gray in particular is a shift from what they normally cut but it is soooooo pretty. I know traditional gem collectors say to stay away from it but it's so very pretty and it totally eliminates any problem with extinction and allows lots of shifting in different lighting. (I also think gray goes with everything).

I liked my ring so much I decided that gray and ivory are my wedding colors. I've been calling it a 50 shades of gray wedding but I meant it literally (the color), not the kinky sex story. :saint: :saint: :saint:
HAHAHAHA!!!! that is so awesome! I actually had a gray/silver wedding dress! So I hear you on the appeal - our colors ended up being white-gray-black with splashes of cobalt blue.

I'm just thrilled that we could come together and make it happen for you!

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely stunning! Making me want a spinel like yours. =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results