shape
carat
color
clarity

Many questions about purchasing colored stones and having jewelry made

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ManhattanLawyer

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I'm interested in buying an amethyst to have made into a ring. I have browsed on the very helpful thread containing a list of vendors that sell colored stones but still have questions as to how the entire process works.

Say I purchased the stone from one vendor: Would it be best to have that vendor make the ring? Or do people tend to buy stones from one vendor and go to a different vendor to have jewelry made? If so, are there any recommendations for people who make jewelry for colored stones? My engagement ring is from Mark at Engagement Rings Direct. Would it make sense to talk to him about this, or does he tend to specialize just in diamond jewelry? If it helps, I'm interesting in having an intricate right hand ring type design.

Thanks so much!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It depends. Some vendors don''t make jewelry so you''d have to go elsewhere anyhow. Off the top of my head, the two colored stone vendors that both sell stones and make jewelry are Wink Jones of Winfields and Rick Martin of Art Cut Gems. I''m sure that there are others but those are the two that spring to mind. By all means, ask Mark if he''ll work with amethyst if you like his work. Not all jewelers will work with all stones, especially jewelers that are used to mainly working with diamonds.

ManhattanLawyer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Kismet. I will definitely check with Mark. I know I have seen Wink''s named mentioned favorably a lot on these boards. Would he be willing to create a ring even if I had purchased the stone from a different vendor?

Thanks!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Wink will make and sell you a setting for your gemstone even if it is purchased elsewhere. It is common for many cutters and gemstone vendors to not make or sell settings.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results