shape
carat
color
clarity

Maleficent FCD

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Presenting an FCD that reminds me of Maleficent, even though I have not seen the movie :naughty: She's a preemie at only 0.07ct.

I have been trying to practice photography here and there where time permits (photography is really hard!) and if any of the photos are decent, the credit goes to an awesome teacher who had patience, took the time to give tips, and a lot of instructions to some clueless folks. You might be wondering who this person is? None other than the best photographer on PriceScope - KENNY!

Kroshka

_19193.jpg

treasurehunter

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi , Im struggling with gem photography, where do I contact Kenny?
Do you have any tips

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. That stone is so striking.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
treasurehunter|1402881018|3693862 said:
Hi , Im struggling with gem photography, where do I contact Kenny?
Do you have any tips

Hi treasurehunter,

Kenny has posted extensively about photography on PriceScope in several threads, and in some of them he also gave a list of all the specific equipment that he recommends and has used (I think mostly Nikon, but don't quote me, as he has a lot of knowledge and experience). Honestly, I basically purchased all the equipment that he listed/recommended (which was not cheap). I think if you go search for those threads it will be very helpful to you especially if you are looking to purchase a good setup and have no idea where to start, etc.

Kroshka

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness. Your diamond is absolutely incredible! How will you set it?

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
IndyLady|1402882031|3693877 said:
Oh my goodness. Your diamond is absolutely incredible! How will you set it?

Hi IndyLady,

I'm not sure if this one will ever get set. It has a fraternal twin of a different color, so I guess they could be used as side stones to a larger central stone. Or, maybe a mini moi et toi design would be a good idea. If you have any ideas, by all means I'm open to suggestions :wavey:

Kroshka

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
A moi et toi with a light pink FCD, or even a white diamond, would be really gorgeous.

A double halo. Maybe with upside down diamonds surrounding it; have you ever seen that look? One row would be set just like a regular halo, on the same plane, and the second one is set at an angle so that it skirts the edge of the halo and so that the points are more obvious. I'm having trouble finding pictures at the moment, but I think I've got one saved somewhere. I'll look for it.

Lastly, my favorite choice: a wider band with filigree and lots of white diamonds, for contrast. I recently saw a gorgeous chevron design that I've attached below--I could see Maleficent in the center, maybe with a thin halo of its own, or just set a little bit higher than the rest of the band, or set in a thin double bezel, though I hate to cover up a diamond any more than necessary.

chryso_ring_2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think something like this could be amazing maybe with a mix of white diamonds and FCD. just one or two.

uploadfromtaptalk1402924576555.jpg

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Wow. That stone is stunning, absolutely incredible!

I think a moi et toi could be fabulous, love IndyLady's other ideas too and Niel's pic - that ring is amazing.

Good luck with whatever you choose! Your stone took my breath away so hope you set it and please post lots of pics if you do!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Such an unusual color & really beautiful. I might keep that one, if it were mine, just to look at unset. I have a few myself that I just love as they are, naked as the day they were born...er...cut.

--- Laurie

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing grey FCD, even if it's so little. I like Niel's setting suggestion best -- but keeping it loose is also a good possibility.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning. Really really stunning.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful diamond and pic Kroshka.

Aw shucks.
You can stop throwing kisses and compliments in about a thousand years.
I just hate attention. :D

Seriously, I think I own you an email. :oops:
Sorry, I've been kind of out of it lately.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Maleficent is Magnificent!!! :love: What a super cool stone! Enjoy it Kroshochka!! :bigsmile:

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Argh my post got eaten.......

IndyLady - It's funny you mention that it should be partnered with a pink because Maleficent's fraternal is a pink of sorts, but probably not the shade you were thinking might be ideal for a partner. I will post a photo of it so you can see. Let me know what you think of the color pairing after you see it.

Niel - I really like the ring and design you posted! The only thing that would be difficult is splitting up the matched pair but I have another single pear that might work for this design. Any thoughts on what colors the FCD rounds should be? I'm thinking the top larger round should be a white OEC and maybe the 3 smaller rounds could be colored if the pear was a colored FCD. Or maybe the 3 smaller ones should be white for contrast and the top one should be a colored FCD, but of course depending on the color that could get expensive cause it is the larger round.

sparkleismyfavcolor - Thanks for the compliment!

JewelFreak - This is an interesting stone that is fun to play with loose. I have trouble setting most of my stones anyhow, hard to find designs that fit the personality/color of the stone or budget cause I feel like it almost always has to be custom, or it could also be that I'm horrible at trying to find mountings that are already available.

Marlow - What to do? These little beauties are expensive but at the same time so enchanting and addicting. I've read that article before - very interesting, educational, and scientific. Thanks for posting it.

LoversKites - Yes sometimes the little ones really pack a punch don't they? Now of course because the stone is small, the color is also a bit obscure to see unless you have good and proper lighting.

LD - Thanks! I thought it was stunning too, especially once I was able to see it in a blown up photo.

Kenny - I want to follow in your foot steps of creating diamond ****. These photos would not have been possible without your help and insight. So I must say, you truly deserve the compliments and recognition. I still have a long way to go, but bit by bit hopefully I will get better, although I don't think I will ever have your artistic eye and creative talents.

wakingdreams53 - Thanks for the compliment!

Kroshka

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, exquisite FCD and pic. :love:
Kroshka, can you comment on how different the RAW pic looks on your monitor vs. how it looks on PS?

How much would you say the sharpness differs?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh for some reason I thought you had to FIND her twin. If she already has one yeah I'd save that other design for another pear. Here are some other ideas. I'm particularly fond of the snake like white and blue diamonds

uploadfromtaptalk1403008035773.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403008041463.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1403008046943.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would look awesome with its twin. What is the mm measurement? Given the size, I might be more inclined to have it gypsy set.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Very cool diamonds, kroshka!! What color did GIA give the first fcd you posted. On my screen it loos like it has some purple mixed with the grey. And, setting is so hard,isn't it??!! So much harder than buying them :lol:

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1403008049|3694852 said:
Ohh for some reason I thought you had to FIND her twin. If she already has one yeah I'd save that other design for another pear. Here are some other ideas. I'm particularly fond of the snake like white and blue diamonds

The snake one is very interesting, I will have to save these design ideas - thanks!

Kroshka

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1403014532|3694942 said:
It would look awesome with its twin. What is the mm measurement? Given the size, I might be more inclined to have it gypsy set.

Hi Chrono,

The measurement is 3.75mm x 2.41mm X 1.48mm. Any particular gypsy settings you would recommend?

Kroshka

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
pinkjewel|1403016047|3694959 said:
Very cool diamonds, kroshka!! What color did GIA give the first fcd you posted. On my screen it loos like it has some purple mixed with the grey. And, setting is so hard,isn't it??!! So much harder than buying them :lol:

Hi pinkjewel,

GIA named the color fancy dark bluish gray. I see some purply violetish bluish hints in it. It's definitely a difficult color to photograph and represent. And I totally agree - easier to buy than setting it! Do you think the 2 colors go together?

Kroshka

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
kroshka|1403045794|3695284 said:
pinkjewel|1403016047|3694959 said:

Hi pinkjewel,

GIA named the color fancy dark bluish gray. I see some purply violetish bluish hints in it. It's definitely a difficult color to photograph and represent. And I totally agree - easier to buy than setting it! Do you think the 2 colors go together?

Kroshka

Interesting that they said blue rather than violet/purple. gotta love that each fcd is so individual!!
Now, do I think the 2 colors go together? Well... let's just say it's probably not a combo I'd put together, but that doesn't mean that others might not love it. =)

eta- I think a gypsy setting would also set if off nicely as long as it would let enough light in to see the color. Would it make it darker? Chrono knows alot more about settings than I do, so I'll defer to her experience there.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
kroshka|1402972390|3694681 said:
Maleficent's fraternal twin....

Kroshka

Wow, very very interesting! I could definitely see them together. I was thinking of a much lighter blush pink, but I think this would make a very striking combo as well.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1402981453|3694752 said:
Again, exquisite FCD and pic. :love:
Kroshka, can you comment on how different the RAW pic looks on your monitor vs. how it looks on PS?

How much would you say the sharpness differs?

Hi Kenny,

There is definitely a significant difference. You can see a difference just viewing the full size jpg images vs the raw images on my Mac - is this normal? The raw images of course look better in terms of color and sharpness.

Kroshka

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1402924586|3694119 said:
I think something like this could be amazing maybe with a mix of white diamonds and FCD. just one or two.

This is one of my favorite small stone settings. It's called a tiara setting.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness, it would look so awesome with its twin in a moi and toi ring!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results