shape
carat
color
clarity

Malaya garnet acorn

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got this Malaya garnet from Gene as a Vday gift. I really love the cut, it's so chubby! It looks just like a fat little flower bud in spring.
1.24ct, 5.67mm.

IMG_7709.JPG

IMG_7708.JPG

malaya.png

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's actually not that included, much of it is just my finger prints in dirt, it looks quite nice in person.

IMG_7710.JPG

IMG_7714.JPG

IMG_7715.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice cutting on the Malaya and love the opal. Are you planning to leave the opal as is or tumble/freeform it?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice cutting on the acorn, I agree with Chrono. The inclusions kind of remind me of copper schiller in a sunstone. Very cool!

Beautiful opal.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
The opal looks like Ethiopian Welo opal. For some fun, if you like, try dipping it in water for about a half hour and watch it go more transparent. It may wash some of the sand off too by softening it. If you do that, it will dry out again over a period of hours to a couple of weeks. Looks like the pieces I played with too.

Laura

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Love the acorn, cut and color. That peach/pink is so pretty! Any plans for it? Opal is fun too, beautiful colors.

--- Laurie

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
It's so funny that you've posted this just now. I took out my acorn cut peridot yesterday and did a photo shoot with it. I'll probably be posting on Thursday (my day off).

Anyhow, I :love: :love: :love: your stone. A nice malaya is on my wishlist, and this cut really shows off the color. Very nice!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Oooooo I droooled over that stone!
Happy you got it, it is very beautiful and unique!
What a nice Valentine's gift, BTW !!!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the lovely comments everyone!

I don't really know how to set it, going custom is sort of a given since the cut is so deep. I don't know what color I would want to set it in yet or how I might want to set it. I do love bezels, but I think that would obscure the cut?

What do you think is the best choice to show off the acorn cut?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a bezel does not have to cover the pavillion but merely the girdle. your stone is high and deep and should fare just fine in such a setting. keeping the pavillion open will allow the light to travel into the stone and maintain its "schiller" effect. nice buy, btw!

MoZo

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I plan on setting my acorn cut in probably a martini setting. Definitely prongs. But the open bezel idea is intriguing, too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results