shape
carat
color
clarity

Major conflict--color vs. size?

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I think it's a great looking cab! I have been eyeballing that cab from that particular vendor for a while, it looks very similar in your pics to his vendor pics. I too would love to see a picture of the smaller stone, who can ever get enough Paraiba eye candy?!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, if we all assumed this must be the .5 ct, then it would seem we think the colour is decent on it! ;-)

But I'd be happy, too, to see pics of the smaller one... ;-)

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NKOTB|1382585366|3543409 said:
Well, if we all assumed this must be the .5 ct, then it would seem we think the colour is decent on it! ;-)

But I'd be happy, too, to see pics of the smaller one... ;-)

Why yes, yes we do! :wink2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady,
If I am being presumptious, please take my questions as in the spirit of looking out for your interest, not trying to dampen your joy.

1. All the mozambique paraibas / cuprians that I have come across are heated to get this blue glow. Even labs are now saying presume heat for all paraibas since this is difficult to detect. This is not a big issue for me though because I don't think it affects pricing.

2. Do you know whether this cabochon has been clarity enhanced? Many paraibas and cuprians are now oiled or filled with resin to look cleaner. This treatment is relatively new and not openly discussed. Perhaps this does not matter to you if it isn't expensive or makes it more affordable.

And last but not least, hand shots please! :))

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3ct and that colour and you're calling it a steal of a deal? It's a no brainer. It's a keeper (and a very lovely one at that).

As for heat - not an issue.

However Chrono is right about treatments now popping up (although they've probably been around longer than we've been aware of them). I'm not sure how this affects price and whether it's something you'd be worried about? Even IF it was treated, if the price is a steal then I'd still get it! It's lovely.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I took another look at the original listing, and it does say "guaranteed 100% unheated natural color" (and he is a trusted vendor many of us have used). I think for the price and color-keep it! Plus this cab looks similar to the Leon Mege cab from the AGTA awards! The only reason I did not purchase it earlier was My Mahenge and rare stone buying spree I have been on, and was putting all funds towards those!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus|1382627560|3543665 said:
I took another look at the original listing, and it does say "guaranteed 100% unheated natural color" (and he is a trusted vendor many of us have used). I think for the price and color-keep it! Plus this cab looks similar to the Leon Mege cab from the AGTA awards! The only reason I did not purchase it earlier was My Mahenge and rare stone buying spree I have been on, and was putting all funds towards those!

Xrisus: how can you tell, based on the Indylady's photos where the cab is far from the camera, which vendor it is? It could be several...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it is the one from the vendor I think it might be, then it appears to be included, so I doubt there has been clarity enhancement.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1382630547|3543708 said:
If it is the one from the vendor I think it might be, then it appears to be included, so I doubt there has been clarity enhancement.

Minou,
Clarity enhancement is done to lessen the appearance of inclusions, not to disguise them completely. Think emerald and ruby.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1382630799|3543713 said:

Minou,
Clarity enhancement is done to lessen the appearance of inclusions, not to disguise them completely. Think emerald and ruby.

I am aware of that, Chrono, but in this case, if its the stone I speak of, then it speaks for itself. All of the examples of clarity enhanced I have seen end up with clarity that is included but not moderately or heavily included.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Minou, very true that I cannot be absolutely sure, but it is similar in carat weight, price (I'm assuming what a reasonable price is), and description (unheated) to what Indylady posted and is now in the "reserved" section of the website for the sold items. I could honestly be way off, and just hoping this cab is the one I think so I know it went to a pricescoper and we will see more pictures! The vendor photos do show inclusions that in my opinion are not bad at all, in fact I like it better with them (it's artistic looking to my eye). Quit frankly, I find the stone to be beautiful! If I'm wrong, no biggie, it was all just coincidental occurences as I have followed the cab I think it is for awhile!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
katharath|1382480110|3542552 said:
Indylady, I really get you on this!! I agree with Kenny that it's a personal situation that everyone must resolve on their own.

I have been going through it with a sapphire...(I really need to start a thread about it for opinions but I'm sick right now, too sick to walk up the stairs to the computer to upload pics!)

Anyway, I get what people are saying about waiting, but sometimes that's just too hard...not to mention you may have already BEEN waiting for a long time! I will admit to being horribly impatient and bad at saving up, I'm easily distracted by sparkly new gems.

My thoughts (for what they're worth, lol)...I have been toying with the idea of searching for a small paraiba just like GregS's for awhile. If I had the opportunity to get one that was a true "wow" stone, I would get it, even if it were smaller than I'd like. I have thought a lot about this with my sapphire situation as well. I was thinking about going small (5 mmish) to get that amazing color.

If I had come upon one that fit the bill, I'd have gone for it. I own mostly smaller gems (5 mm to 6.5 mm), but I've gone through a phase of wanting big large stones too. What I eventually found is that for me personally, I tend to not care much about my "larger but less than great color" gems, after some time passes. But my small, well colored gems? I will stay obsessed with them for awhile.
So I've eventually realized that I guess I actually do prefer color over size...it took me some experimenting to realize it though.

Incidentally I'll add that this is why I like gems like amethysts...it's possible to buy a really stunning, large, precision cut amethyst for a totally reasonable amount. I feel like my amethyst (cut for me by Gary at finewater) is a wonderful example and large at almost 5 cts...but was so affordable!! Sometimes it's nice to be able to afford a gorgeous gem that's actually big, lol!! (That's a rarity for me).

Good luck in choosing what will make you the happiest :)

My apologies--I totally missed this post earlier! I'm on the run, but I will reply as soon as I get a chance to sit down. :wavey: :wavey:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1382631913|3543733 said:
Chrono|1382630799|3543713 said:

Minou,

I am aware of that, Chrono, but in this case, if its the stone I speak of, then it speaks for itself. All of the examples of clarity enhanced I have seen end up with clarity that is included but not moderately or heavily included.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/agta-gem-id-report-how-to-interpret.118424/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/agta-gem-id-report-how-to-interpret.118424/[/URL]

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1382617825|3543552 said:
IndyLady,
If I am being presumptious, please take my questions as in the spirit of looking out for your interest, not trying to dampen your joy.

1. All the mozambique paraibas / cuprians that I have come across are heated to get this blue glow. Even labs are now saying presume heat for all paraibas since this is difficult to detect. This is not a big issue for me though because I don't think it affects pricing.

2. Do you know whether this cabochon has been clarity enhanced? Many paraibas and cuprians are now oiled or filled with resin to look cleaner. This treatment is relatively new and not openly discussed. Perhaps this does not matter to you if it isn't expensive or makes it more affordable.

And last but not least, hand shots please! :))

Hi Chrono!

Thank you so much for your comments--I appreciate it very much! I'm on the run today, but had a moment to read this thread earlier and had a brief correspondence with Michael of GLI (Xrisus, you were right) and wanted to pop in with a couple answers from Michael, the vendor--on the topic of heating, he said that he doubts that the rough this stone was cut from would have survived the heating process. He also stated that the color does exist without heat, and attached a few pictures of rough for me to see. I did a little bit of my own (very quick) research and there are examples of unheated rough in color that is similar to mine, including stones from Mozambique (see figure #19 in the GIA attachment). Additionally, he said that has not clarity enhanced this stone (and does not clarity enhance other stones apart from oiling emeralds). Especially comparing my stone the photos, it all fits.
Minou--it is on the side of being heavily included. It does not have the gluey look that a lot of glass/resin filled rubies and emeralds have, though I know its not determinative of course.

TL--I appreciate the link! I checked it out for a moment, but will return.

Lastly, I want to mention what an amazing experience I had with Michael at Gemline Inc. He was incredibly patient with me, agreed to initiate a return without any questions or reservations, and when I wrote to him that I'd actually like to keep the gem, he said he would keep the return window open indefinitely. I've purchased from him a few times before, but its usually been a quick click of the Paypal button and I haven't had much correspondence with him. This experience has been very positive, especially in light of a rather "tough to purchase" kind of gem.

I know another PS'er has been looking for a half carat paraiba/cuprian too, and I'd rather not write about the other tourm. further if it does indeed now belong to someone else on this board. If the owner is reading this--I'd love to see pictures! If nothing is posted in a little while, I'll post a photo/attach a link!

28005.png

Attachments

• copper-bearing-_para__ba-type_-tourmaline-from-mozambique__1_.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 26

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
LD|1382621259|3543585 said:
3ct and that colour and you're calling it a steal of a deal? It's a no brainer. It's a keeper (and a very lovely one at that).

As for heat - not an issue.

However Chrono is right about treatments now popping up (although they've probably been around longer than we've been aware of them). I'm not sure how this affects price and whether it's something you'd be worried about? Even IF it was treated, if the price is a steal then I'd still get it! It's lovely.

Thank you so much LD! I was pretty shocked to get it a steal--your paraibas have always been an inspiration! I have this one particular photo in mind, IIRC, in which you have at least 5 paraibas on your hand--I'll have to look for it again when I have a moment. I'm not too worried about resale value or price as long as I've paid a fair value, and the vendor states that it has not been clarity enhanced, so I feel comfortable/confident about it in terms of clarity enhancements.

Ok--I have to run, but I will be back ASAP! I wish I could make a job out of posting on the boards.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indy,
PLEASE do not take this the wrong way. I've dealt with Micheal in the past and trust him BUT he has been wrong before with regards to treatment. Other vendors have also been proven wrong before. We are not infallable. I hope that I am just being overly cautious and therefore wrong. That said, those vendors, Micheal included, stood behind their product and gave a full refund when the stone was verified by the lab. In the link TL shared, a clarity enhanced Paraiba doesn't necessarily look glassy. In fact, it can look utterly beautiful. However, if you are okay with the price you paid and accept that risk, I will let the matter rest.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1382645908|3543897 said:
Indy,
PLEASE do not take this the wrong way. I've dealt with Micheal in the past and trust him BUT he has been wrong before with regards to treatment. Other vendors have also been proven wrong before. We are not infallable. I hope that I am just being overly cautious and therefore wrong. That said, those vendors, Micheal included, stood behind their product and gave a full refund when the stone was verified by the lab. In the link TL shared, a clarity enhanced Paraiba doesn't necessarily look glassy. In fact, it can look utterly beautiful. However, if you are okay with the price you paid and accept that risk, I will let the matter rest.

Would the treatment be applied to the rough, or to the cut gem?

I'm fine with the price that I paid--though I would not/usually do not purchase clarity enhanced gems. I do trust Michael, and have been very pleased with his material now and in the past. Of course, looks can be deceiving, but the "look" of his IRL does not seem to have the characteristics of many other clarity enhanced gems. Overall, I think that the risk seems (to me, at least!) not high enough to worry about it, so I don't think I would send this one out unless I'm in NYC and could drop the gem off myself. Are there any at home tests to check for resin? I've heard of someone boiling an emerald to rid it of oil, but that sounds terrifying. :sick:

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Indylady, I will gladly buy it if you return it :naughty:

I have a feeling you won't do it though! Was the other Paraiba via Steve Perry, as I just purchased a 0.53 ct Brazilian Paraiba from him (much more beautiful in person than pictures) just last week.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Xrisus|1382648413|3543924 said:
Indylady, I will gladly buy it if you return it :naughty:

I have a feeling you won't do it though! Was the other Paraiba via Steve Perry, as I just purchased a 0.53 ct Brazilian Paraiba from him (much more beautiful in person than pictures) just last week.

YES!

I loved it. That was the one. I'm working on a big project due tomorrow, but apparently can't keep myself off this board. Please, please post pictures!! The color is so lovely. It was such a hard decision between the two, but I suppose you made it a little easier on me!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I like your taste, similar minds huh? I'm out in the Texas hill country now, but when I get home-I'll snap some pictures and post them. I can't wait to see what you do with your tourmaline-it really is lovely!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1382648139|3543918 said:
Chrono|1382645908|3543897 said:
Indy,

Would the treatment be applied to the rough, or to the cut gem?

I'm fine with the price that I paid--though I would not/usually do not purchase clarity enhanced gems.
I do trust Michael, and have been very pleased with his material now and in the past. Of course, looks can be deceiving, but the "look" of his IRL does not seem to have the characteristics of many other clarity enhanced gems. Overall, I think that the risk seems (to me, at least!) not high enough to worry about it, so I don't think I would send this one out unless I'm in NYC and could drop the gem off myself. Are there any at home tests to check for resin? I've heard of someone boiling an emerald to rid it of oil, but that sounds terrifying. :sick:

Either rough or cut unfortunately :(sad

I've seen the price and honestly, even if that was clarity enhanced it'd still be a good price! I'd still buy it.

I would echo Chrono that IF you feel that this being clarity enhanced will be a show stopper for you (I don't think it is from what you've written) then you might be better getting a lab report. Actually, if I were you I'd do it anyway only because you may want to insure this baby! Don't be tempted to start doing anything daft to test yourself - what if you ended up with shattered pieces? Nope! Send it to a lab IF you want to!

PS I doubt if my photos are on here anymore. I deleted most of them a while ago xxx

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Well, got home late, so I could only get some indoor shots. This is the 0.53 ct Brazilian Paraiba, and 2 smaller Paraibas. I wish I could capture the color of the 0.53 ct stone right, it is this glowy turqoise hue! Probably one of my favorite colors of my cuprian tourmalines!

_11261.jpg

_11262.jpg

_11263.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
love the pear!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the price you paid, I would not bother with a lab report, but that's just me. The stone is lovely - as are yours, Xrisus.

I hope by now this means you've decided to keep it? :praise:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Any more pics? Tee hee!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow--Xrisus--they are absolutely, positively stunning. Just what I imagine a paraiba to look like--so gorgeous. Thank you so much for posting pictures! :appl: :appl:

As for handshots--I'll post one as soon as I'm home today. I am planning on keeping it. I want to set it ASAP so I can have the chance to enjoy it on the go too! Xrisus, will you be setting yours? Are you planning on setting it in white or yellow gold?

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I do plan on setting it, but will have to save up for it as I plan on going the full custom route. I would like to do a semi-bezel, but am unsure if the stone will be able to withstand the process (especially with its inclusions). I will probably have to start a thread asking for the experts opinion about it, especially using white gold instead of a higher karat yellow gold. I'll attach a photo of what setting I would like to do for my wife, plus more inside and outside shots (last 2 pics) in a ring holder. I can't wait to see some hand shots of your wonderful Paraiba!

_11344.jpg

_11345.jpg

_11346.jpg

_11347.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Xrisus, those look beautiful. I have read from other posters that it is hard to get in touch with Steve Perry. Did you just email him?

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I actually just called him (via the number on his website). Everytime I called I was able to chat with him. I did email him a couple times, and sometimes it does take him a couple days to reply. If anyone wanted to get a hold of him, I would reccomend calling instead of emailing. He actually is a very entertaining guy to chat with, and has great stories. I was also able to purchase 2 untreated red beryls from him after asking what he had in stock beyond what he had on his website. All in all, he is an awesome guy with some great product!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Xrisus|1382904293|3545720 said:
I actually just called him (via the number on his website). Everytime I called I was able to chat with him. I did email him a couple times, and sometimes it does take him a couple days to reply. If anyone wanted to get a hold of him, I would reccomend calling instead of emailing. He actually is a very entertaining guy to chat with, and has great stories. I was also able to purchase 2 untreated red beryls from him after asking what he had in stock beyond what he had on his website. All in all, he is an awesome guy with some great product!

This is a great update - good to know that Steve Perry is still around and obviously has some brilliant stones in stock. Many of us were starting to conclude that maybe Steve was just not as active any more.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results