shape
carat
color
clarity

Mahenge spinels set into studs...

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I'm trying to focus on setting more of my favorite loose gems, so I just had my mahenge rounds set. (Gems sourced by Yvonne Raley, she also handled the setting for me).

I had them set in 14k yellow gold double prongs. This is a style I've never used before, but liked for this pair. I didn't want a bezel setting to darken these up at all; so I thought this was a good setting to give a bit of extra presence but without resorting to using a bezel. (I actually adore bezel settings but I really wanted to do what was best for the gems, KWIM?)

The tcw for this pair is just under 1 ct; so approx .5 ct per earring. It's actually a nice size for studs, IMO - it's the size range I personally prefer :) The gems alone/loose are just shy of 5 mm each.

About the color - these are from the special parcel Yvonne got some months back; they're from rough found in 2007, and they are much more reddish than pink. I had a very hard time getting accurate pics - none of the pics really get the sparkle that these have. I think many of the pics make them look pinker than they are. I'm just going to include a bunch of pics to give an idea of the range. These really aren't "shifty" gems, but they do look pinker or redder depending on how much sunlight gets to them. (All pics taken in sunlight). I will say that overall, the pics that make them look pink aren't as accurate to how they look IRL. The pics where they look super red are closer. But the true color is probably in between, while being closer to the red color.

_11996.jpg

_11997.jpg

_11998.jpg

_11999.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful colour, thanks for sharing!

DK :))

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I also got a little pair of tsavs too (from Yvonne, in the same package as the studs). Pics just for fun...

They're 4 mm rounds, I'm not sure what my plans are for them just yet. Pretty little things though.

_12007.jpg

_12008.jpg

_12009.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, Kath, how things have changed! You are finding some gorgeous stones and setting them beautifully. I mean, how many studs have we seen on this board? What is the likelihood that I would open up this thread and totally covet? But that is exactly what happened. Those double prongs, the saturation of the Mahenges, the rich, opulent gold with the magenta...sigh...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha ha ha, I didn't even wait until the end of the thread before posting, so I didn't see those tsavs - lovely! You and I are on the same page saturation wise, so if you even want to send anything my way, I won't say no. Gah! :cheeky:

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Fantastic looking studs! The color of those are un-paralleled, and the double prong setting is superb! I may have to ask Yvonne about setting some stones in those!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
DK, RTFrog, smitcompton, Jereni - thank you all very much! Hope you enjoyed the pics!

Minous - what compliments! Thank you so much! I really appreciate them. This board has definitely helped me along aesthetically, and has helped me to refine my tastes :). Glad you like the tsavs as well. Tsavs, blue sapphires, and mahenges are three of my top favorite colors in gems, so I have wanted a smallish pair of each. Now that I have the tsavs, I have my third pair.

Xrisus - glad you like how they turned out! I'm planning a somewhat similar setting for my mahenge cushion, but in a ring, if you'll recall. I'm thinking double prong setting for it too. I'm not usually too "matchy matchy" though so we'll see...

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
I like double prongs in general, I think they look great. Are you going to set your cushion mahenge east-west or north-south? It did look nice oriented east-west when you had it in your setting that your sapphire is in, but who knows...maybe it will look even better north-south! Is it a ring Yvonne is doing?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I'm strongly leaning east-west. I'm pretty much 100% on that. It's funny bc I had decided that I wanted double prongs on the (future) ring, and that's what made me go back and decide to do them on the studs! I was originally thinking low profile 4 prongs for the studs - I'm so glad I changed my mind! Love how these turned out.

And yes, I am going to have Yvonne handle it for me also. We've gone over a couple of ideas that I had, but I've been quite busy with projects lately, so I have to slow down a bit, lol. I think we'll be starting on this one in a couple of weeks. I just hate sending off my loose gems in the mail, it makes me so nervous...and I miss them when they're gone, lol. But it's so fun to be able to wear them, so of course it's worth it.

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE them!!!! :appl: :appl: :love: :love:

I have some of Yvonne's pinker Mahenge studs. They don't get worn nearly enough, but this thread makes me want to pull them out. :)

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
These are very lovely.

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are stunning! They would look great with the ring with the stone E/W with double prongs. I can't wait to see what you end up going with!

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
So pretty! I was actually looking at those tsav's but I needed 5mm stones. Yvonne was actually able to get me a bigger pair and I should have them by weeks end. I was looking forward to getting them before, but now that I see yours I'm practically vibrating with excitement. Please post pics when you get yours set. I love simple studs, they're always appropriate yet so under appreciated.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, katharath!! Wow, saturation forever! I love the double prongs, the rich yg, with those beauties. Successful! The tsavs are very pretty too -- they'd make wonderful side stones for a ring, yummmm.

--- Laurie

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Katarath, I love the color and the setting-it's perfect. Just stunning. :love: Now I want mahenge spinels just like yours. So so pretty. :love:
The tsavs are also a lovely color. I cannot wait to see what you do with them.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
NKOTB - I hope you start wearing your earrings again, I'm sure they're lovely!

VapidLapid - thank you so much :)

Ilovegemstones - I can't wait to see what I end up with too, lol! I wish I could get this set TODAY!! It will probably be at least a couple of weeks before I can get started on it, though.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
koolchicken|1384677049|3557925 said:
So pretty! I was actually looking at those tsav's but I needed 5mm stones. Yvonne was actually able to get me a bigger pair and I should have them by weeks end. I was looking forward to getting them before, but now that I see yours I'm practically vibrating with excitement. Please post pics when you get yours set. I love simple studs, they're always appropriate yet so under appreciated.

These specific tsavs were actually never listed on Yvonne's etsy page, but I know the pair you are referring to, and they're quite similar to that pair. My pair is a teeny teeny bit smaller than the listed pair was, though (like 4 mm instead of 4.1 or something), the tcw is a bit less. (She was holding this pair for me out if the same parcel as the other pair, though).

I know what you mean, I love simple studs too. It's almost all I own for earrings; varying styles/pairs of simple studs. I will definitely post pics when I set them, but it will be awhile. I've got - ummm - I think three setting projects that I need to do first!

Good luck with your own search for tsavs, hope those work out for you!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1384693928|3557944 said:
Gorgeous, katharath!! Wow, saturation forever! I love the double prongs, the rich yg, with those beauties. Successful! The tsavs are very pretty too -- they'd make wonderful side stones for a ring, yummmm.

--- Laurie

Thanks so much Laurie!! I agree with you about the tsavs as side stones, too. I'm keeping them in mind as a possibility for that as well. I need to play with my loose gems some more first.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Missy - thank you :). I hope you get a pretty pair of mahenges for yourself!

Asscherhalo - YES!! It's VERY sad that I can't see my earrings all the time. I was thinking that yesterday when I put them on...yet I still must have them, lol. Pretty earrings, I mean.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love everything about those earrings! Looking forward to pics of the tsavs when you have them set.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I've been watching Yvonne' s etsy page, I just love her stuff, I can't wait to make my first purchase with her. Beautiful earrings, simply stunning! :love:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Thanks kgizo and rissa!

For any of you who are interested in Yvonne's mahenges, I was chatting with her today and found out that she actually does have a few small pieces that she will be listing on etsy. Pieces from "the" good parcel. She previously had not listed any of the pieces from this parcel on etsy - they'd all sold privately. So this will be the first time these pieces are offered out publicly. Keep an eye out in her store if you're interested, she usually lists just one at a time, and there are only a few. I don't think there are any pairs left though, just singles.

Anyway I thought I would mention it bc I've had a few people ask me about getting something similar, and I had thought she didn't have anything at all left. Turns out she does have a little left...

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
So pretty I'm rushing off to look at yvonnes site in spite of the fact i already HAVE a mahenge to set. The double prongs look so good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results